**IMPORTANT UPDATE (2/28; 2PM): THIS EVENT IS POSTPONED TO NEXT SUNDAY, MARCH 9, DUE TO WEATHER THIS WEEKEND. MEETUP IS SAME PLACE AND SAME TIME (8:30AM). FORECAST FOR NEXT WEEK IS CLEAR AND WARMER. (Sorry, folks, for late notice but Meetup website was down until now).**
LET'S ALL TAKE A HIKE! South Mountain Park/Preserve is one of valley's natural wonders we have to see and appreciate. If taking an early morning hike (relatively easy 2.5 miler) with 360-degree panoramic views of Phoenix and South Valley as well as walking thru our local desert hills and valleys is appealing to you, then come join us! Just yesterday, I scoped out the Pima Canyon Trailhead section of the the Park and found it to be readily accessible from main roads, the hike route was gradual and easy. The first mile is a trek uphill and very quickly the views of South Valley capture your senses. Then at top of second hill, one can enjoy the 360degree view of the entire Valley of the Sun. The rest of the trail is mostly downhill and descends to a pleasant walk through a shallow wash through scrub trees and cactus. Beautiful!
(See attached pictures). Oh, did I mention that park access is FREE?
PHOTOS: (Taken yesterday evening 5pm)
(Pima Canyon Trailhead parking lot;- earlybirds get the parking spaces closer to entrance...so come early)!
View of South-East Valley on the "Marcos De Niza" trail (within first 5 minutes of hike)...
Trail leading to the top of hill for 360degree views of entire Valley...
View of Pima Wash below showing trail back to Trailhead entrance...
Close-up view of Pima Wash from entrance...
Hikers on ridge above Pima Wash...
Sunset on the trail. What a HIke!
1) I could use 2 or 3 volunteers to help me in set-up and food and hiking group leads.
2) Hike promptly begins at stated time (8:30am); no stragglers, please... (Suggest arrive at Trailhead 15 minutes before for headcount).
3) Wear appropriate hiking attire (sturdy shoes, very light sweater for early coolness, headgear and sunglasses).
4) Brunch picnic will take place after everyone arrives from hike (approx. 10am).
5) We plan to wrap things up at about 12noon - 1:00pm.
6) Comments and suggestions welcome!
7) There is no charge for this hike (FREE); however, everyone is encouraged to bring a dish for the Potluck Brunch. Please indicate when you RSVP.