This is a great place to visit and this is their annual apple cider squeeze fest (please read the rules listed below if you want cider). You can pick or purchase apples at the orchard and they squeeze them into cider (or you can just take the apples home to eat). They also sell apple pies. Hoping to get over there next spring for one of their pruning classes too.
The Curran Apple Orchard Park is a 7.33 acre apple orchard located within the City of University Place. Created as a hobby orchard in the early 1950s, the orchard today offers residents and visitors a multitude of opportunities.
More than 200 trees with more than 15 varieties of apples offer a tranquil place to enjoy nature along with providing food and shelter for birds, bees, small wildlife and deer.
2012 Cider Squeeze
Featuring Delicious Cider & Apple Pie
The Big Apple
Sunday, September 9th 2012
12:00pm - 4:00pm
3920 Grandview Dr. W.
University Place, WA
Freshly Squeezed Cider
* Only Curran Orchard apples can be squeezed.
* Visitors can pick apples at the event or purchase apples for a small fee.
* Please do NOT bring HOME GROWN apples to prevent the spread of disease.
* Do bring clean jugs and picking bags from home or purchase jugs at the event.
*Pressings are limited to two milk crates per family.
Here are a few tips to help you enjoy the day.
1. Start at the info booth on Grandview Drive to get your picking bags and press coupon. If you’ve adopted a tree, we’ll help you find it. If not, why not consider adopting one--the returns are delicious!
2.Pick apples from any tree in the orchard except taped trees (for preschool tours).No home grown apples allowed to prevent the spread of disease. Please limit your pickings so everyone has a chance to enjoy the day.
3.Plastic jugs are available for purchase for $1
4. Wash Stations -All apples must be washed prior to squeezing. You can wash up to two milk crates full of apples at one time.
5. Press area-Take the two milk crates of washed apples to the pressing area. Present your coupon(see below) to the cider press operator. Each family will get one pressing per time (up to one gallon or two milk crates). The amount of cider will vary based on the size of the press and juiciness of the apples. Feel free to take extra apples home to enjoy. If you want to squeeze again, please get another coupon from the information booth before you get back into line.
It is highly recommended to boil or pasteurize raw apple juice/cider before drinking to destroy any harmful bacteria. Refrigerate and drink within five days or freeze for later use.