addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Southwest Suburb Vegans Message Board › Trying to save the group

Trying to save the group

Debbie
user 9619679
Orland Park, IL
Hello Fellow Veg lovers,

My name is Debbie and after much deliberation I have decided to step up and take over the open organizer position of this group.

I waited a long time for a group such as this one to come open the south side and I was concerned when it looked like it was going to close before it really got going. I want to give it more time and believe that it has a fighting chance to grow and be more active with a little work and commitment.

I just want you all to breathe a little easier that I will do my best to try and keep this group going for as long as I am able to. It's difficult to watch organizers come and go and wonder what the future of a group is and whether it will still be there the next time you have an opening in your schedule and are looking for things to do.

I myself have been a member of this group since shortly after it started and yet sadly I did not make it to any of the events that it has held thus far. Some were just due to the venues being a bit further away then I was willing to travel and others because they just didn't fit my schedule. Also, like I suspect many others have, I kind of sat back and watched and waited to see if it was going to take off before committing myself to it and I should know better than that. Meet up groups only become as successful as the organizers and it's members make it to be. Please don't get me wrong, it is not an easy task for a new organizer to start up a group and make it fly. I am not in any way, shape, or form blaming any of the previous organizers for anything that they have done or not done to get it going. I saw them trying and trying really hard. They asked for suggestions and the dialogs and discussions give proof to their trying to get feedback and trying to arrange things that they hoped they could get people to attend. But for it to really work any organizer NEEDS the support of others especially it's members to really get it going. They need members to attend events and if they are not able to attend they need to give the organizer feedback as to why they may not be attending and to offer suggestions on events times and places that they would like to commit themselves to attending. And when they do attend and have a good time they need to talk it up to others and leave positive feed back so that others can see that these are fun events to attend. I am asking you ... NO... not just asking... but BEGGING you as members to please help me out with this.

I know some of the members of this group from other meetup groups and places and I hope that you will attest that I aim to make every outing fun and enjoyable for everyone. I am an assistant organizer to a couple other of groups and I am very fortunate to be dating the organizer of some very large and very successful groups. Because of that, I know that I can get the support and guidance that I need to make this group a great one! I hope that each and every one of you will try to trust me on that and try to make an effort to attend some of the new events that come up and help me to help make OUR group one that people want to be a part of!

We don't need to have thousands of members or hundreds of events to make that happen. We just need to start with the members that we have and boost our attendance so that we can experience for ourselves what a great time we can have together and then the rest will fall into place.

We have a lot of challenges before us. But I have ideas and plans that I hope will help us to over come them. Please, feel free to send me a note of your suggestions or just a vote of confidence that you will help me with this. I commit to keeping this group open as long as you commit to helping me to make it more active.

Another forewarning... I do plan to change the look of our page and I am considering but not decided about changing the name. This is simply my way of trying to breathe new life into it as we move forward on our new path.

Thank you all for remaining members of this group through the many transitions that this group has already gone through I will do my best to win you over and make you proud of your new organizer.

Peace to you all!

Debbie