Southwest Suburb Vegans Message Board › Olive Garden

Olive Garden

Debbie
user 9619679
Orland Park, IL
Post #: 6
There has been some discussion as to whether or not Olive Garden has vegan items available at their restaurant or not. I have always assumed the best and that if they had pastas without eggs that it was likely vegan depending upon it's added toppings since most for the recipes for basic unfilled pasta that I have ever seen and used only contain flour, sometimes oil, water and sometimes eggs. I have read claims that Olive Garden does have egg free pastas. That has been good enough for me but after some members telling me that they heard otherwise I thought I would do more research. I wanted to check on behalf of the group so I wrote to them. I suppose it was too general of a question to ask if they had vegan items ( and explaining that vegan meant free from any animal or insect ingredients or byproducts). I can't really blame them for not wanting to go through their entire menu for me to determine what I was asking for so I also asked for an ingredients list so that I could check for myself.

This is the response that I received from them. :
--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-------------------

Dear Ms.

Thank you for your interest in Olive Garden.

Our guests asked us to develop a menu for people with food sensitivities. In response, we introduced new allergen information that specifies whether each menu item contains any of the following ingredients:

• Peanuts
• Tree Nuts
• Shellfish
• Fish
• Soy
• Dairy
• Wheat / Gluten
• Eggs

As part of our ongoing commitment to transparency and choice in helping you meet your nutritional goals, we are also making available a downloadable and printable version of this menu for our U.S. restaurants at www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Gluten-Allergen­ While visiting our restaurants; you may obtain this menu from your server.

Since recipes sometimes change, we will update the allergen menu regularly. Please note the effective date printed on each menu, and visit your local Olive Garden or olivegarden.com any time you want a current copy. The allergen menu is now available in our restaurants in the U.S., and will be available for Canada in a few months.

We hope you find this information useful. We appreciate having you as a valued guest at Olive Garden.

At this time, we do not have a central database to access all of the ingredients in our menu items. We would be happy to research specific recipes in order to answer your question. This way we are sure we are providing you with the most accurate ingredient information possible.

Please either email or call 800-331-2729 letting us know one to three menu items you are interested in ordering and what ingredients you wish to avoid.

We appreciate the time you took to write to us.

Sincerely,

Carol
Olive Garden Guest Relations
--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-------------------

I plan to write to them again with more specific questions about the pastas and create your own options and I invite you all to also contact them as well to check the specific items that you may be interested in and to help encourage them to recognize that there are many others who desire more publicly information as to what they can expect to find at their restaurant. This might also send the message that while we appreciate the charts that they do provide we would like more specifics. If a large enough possible customer base is at stake they just may learn the importance of providing as accurate as possible ingredients lists. While they have a changing menu there should be no problem with them producing lists for the individual sauces and pastas ( sans toppings) that they have available consistently so that we may have a clearer understanding of what we can put together ourselves in order to dine with them with the confidence that we are getting just what we are asking for and nothing that we do not want.

Thanks,

Debbie
Debbie
user 9619679
Orland Park, IL
Post #: 8
I am also contacting them on facebook and will update you on what they reply.