South Bay Ramblers Hiking Group Message Board › Mammoth Lakes - Minarets

Mammoth Lakes - Minarets

Glenn N
Glenn_N
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 126
If you have questions and comments about the September 2013 Mammoth Lakes expedition, please post here - I don't think the even comments section is suitable for lots of text.
Glenn N
Glenn_N
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 127
We plan to drive there on Labor Day and stay at least 4 nights. The way this event is structured (loose), you can arrive when you want and leave when you want.

Two years ago we stayed at Juniper Springs Resort. It was great - a massive ski condo complex, not many people at that time of year. For $120 we had a condo with full kitchen, living room with TV/DVD, outside deck and bedroom. Prices have gone up, so I suggest waiting until early to mid-August to book. There is no dearth of lodging in this town. I will choose a resort for us, but you will book your own, and might decide to stay elsewhere. One way to make it cheap is to rent a cabin that sleeps 12 - but we're not planning to do that.

Campers also have many options. Lake Mary is a beautiful spot, but if you camp there, you will have some trouble meeting us in the morning, due to drive from town. Red's Meadow is another major option, a good choice for hiking up to the Minarets. There are campgrounds in the flats that provide much quicker access to the town and to Hwy 395 (for visiting Mono Lake, hot springs, and volcanic sites).

Mammoth Lakes is a major ski resort (pop. 7000) - so there are MANY dining options - some are even very good! And in a ski condo you will have a kitchen.

More info to come ...
becky
user 3267575
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
-The Juniper Springs Resort sounds like a reasonable place.
-I don't want to travel by myself so need to know any interested in carpooling? I'm willing to drive.
-Will need to know where we're meeting on the first day, time?
-Proposed hike details, meeting places, etc.
-Since I've never been to this location, don't have any preference as to hikes. Have visited Mono Lake in the
past and would be nice to see again if that's an option.
Glenn N
Glenn_N
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 129
I booked a studio room at Juniper Springs today. On Travelocity you can use discount code 10SUMMER for additional 10% off, or use 13HOT, but that code is only available on July 3. Juniper Springs also has 2 and 3 BR condos - a great option for the group.
Glenn N
Glenn_N
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 130
I put a geology field trip guide in the files section for this group. The original is available from Cal Poly Pomona.
Glenn N
Glenn_N
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 131
Kayaking on Mono Lake. Both canoes and kayaks are available, but it's unclear if these places are open after Labor Day! Stay tuned for more info.
Drew C.
user 12271434
Los Gatos, CA
Post #: 1
Glenn, would be fun indeed to Kayak on Mono Lake...I understand you can rent from several places including Lee Vining (http://www.monobasink...­ ) and can get on the lake after August 1st. Not sure how long "summer months" extends...we'd also need to get the kayaks down to the lake. But if there is interest we should investigate...
Monica
user 9482426
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
I'm thinking about coming, but arriving on Sept 3rd. So I would be there for 3 nights. Would this be okay?
Kitty
user 11788137
Milpitas, CA
Post #: 9
Monica, if you are coming, I will bring more wine. smile
Monica
user 9482426
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
Monica, if you are coming, I will bring more wine. smile

I think you need to bring a few more bottles!!! :-p