Southern Arizona Preppers Message Board › So, what are you reading right now?

So, what are you reading right now?

A former member
Post #: 44
SAS survival handbook by Wiseman vs the Ranger Handbook and Worst Case Scenario survival handbook by Piven and Borgenicht.
Ken
Ronald Frederick G...
user 3921570
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 11
Just finished “Bottom Line’s The Healing Kitchen”, which discusses foods as medicine. An interesting read, but I’m glad I got it on inter-library loan, vs buying. The author refers readers to their own website, “My Healing Kitchen” where they present what they refer to as “healing super foods” to improve, relieve and help reverse specific medical conditions.

www.myhealingkitchen.com

The site has illness specific food suggestions online for free… for example, it lists heart helping foods as: Extra virgin olive oil, Wild salmon, Spinach, Blueberries, Onions, Tomatoes, Almonds, Beans, Chocolate, Oats, Avocado, Broccoli

You did note CHOCOLATE, right?
K-Bay
user 49517262
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 52
I often have 3 or 4 books going at a time. Finished "One Second After", which was wonderful! Now finishing Collision Course. Also have Killing Kennedy by O'Reilly going, 2 canning & dehydrating books, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man and No Easy Day. Luke, or someone in our group had mentioned Jericho, the tv series at one of our meetings and I am now watching the series via DVD. Oh! And of course the two Agenda 21 books I mentioned in the Agenda 21 thread earlier this week. I would love to read a "fanciful" novel, but right now I guess I am on a major learning streak with my current cumpulsion-preppeing! :-)
Chris
user 58129282
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 47
I am reading the "Left Behind" Series - I'm on book 7 (The Indwelling) - and "Revelation" (study guide/book) by John Macarthur (he has study guides for each book in the Bible).
5000 year leap is in the wings with about 20 others - during my 3 years in school it was all I could do to keep up with school reading.
I am a little behind on my "Maximum PC" magazines and the new "American Rifleman" just arrived.........
Kathleen
user 52991242
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 12
I'm reading three books right w. Holding their own !!, Hide Evade Scavenge Infiltrate, and merry Christmas. And not to forget my Bible, so that's four I guess.
A former member
Post #: 9
Patriots
­Patriots is such a great book. It's kind of a fiction filled with practical advice on how to prepare for a financial or other disaster. I have his Survivors and Founders but I have to finish a few other books first.
I have the 3rd book, Founders. It's been for sale for a few months.

Great book!
Jim Rawles second book in the series, Survivors, is a good read too.
I am patiently waiting for the release of the third book.

A former member
Post #: 10
We should be prepping to live, not living to prep. I find reading a good book a nice distraction from stuff. So who is reading what?
I really need to remember that from time to time. Sometimes I feel like I'm feverishly preparing for an event that may or may not happen in my life time.
Currently I'm reading 3 books: Semper Fidelis, A Novel of the Roman Empire, 4th book in the Medicus series. It's amazing what you can learn about ancient ways and practices that can be used later if necessary; Fugitives of the Forest, The Heroic Story of Jewish Resistance and Survivial During the Second World War, a story about the Bielski brothers and their saving of over 1,200 Jews in the forests of Belorussia; and, Theodore and Woodrow, How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom, by Judge Andrew Napolitano. I'm not enough into this one to have an opinion except to say that the good judge has an easy, fluid writing style that makes for pleasant reading.
Ronni
user 72519982
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 25
I just finished reading a book on my Kindle (Grid Down: Reality Bites) and I'm not ashamed to admit that it scared the bejeebers out of me!! Basically, the book covers an EMP blast that "kills" anything that uses electricity in any form. The author's depiction of the resulting chaos was pretty disturbing but it seems like it's very feasible. In the book, some smart people had prepared and all the others that hadn't were trying to take it from them....by any means necessary :-( There was some pretty graphic violence and it discussed the probability of gangs forming and overpowering whatever was left of the police/sheriff/National Guard and how the government officials basically holed up with a bunch of commodities and were just waiting for people to kill each other off and minimize the population before they came out of hiding to try and take back control of the country. It's fictional but it definitely got me thinking about what it will be like, should that happen or something even remotely similar. It will be every man for himself and lawless....Strengthened my resolve to get prepared and ignore the eye rolls I get from my family members.
Ronald Frederick G...
user 3921570
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 23
Finished “One Second After” yesterday. Without revealing details, the plot is another EMP that wipes out electronics in the US & other global locations. Prepper relevancy notes:

Post large scale disaster, how does a community handle arrivals at the border?

Returning residents and/or family/friends of residents?
Absentee land owners?
Strangers? What dangers do they carry, in attitude, weapons, or disease?
If your community needs particular expertise, who decides what it is? How many do you let stay for each expert (their family/friends)? How are these “outsiders” housed & otherwise obtain their “life support”?

In most communities, water & sewage is moved using electric pumps.

Beware your neighbors & government “officials”. If they do not hesitate to rob you during “good times”, imagine how they are going to act in a prolonged crisis? Commandeer vehicles & other capital assets for “official” use? Steal your food storage in the name of sharing with the unfortunate, and perhaps criminally punish you for “hoarding”? Get involved in your local government now, to be able to provide appropriate influence post-crash.

How long until local supplies of food, water, medicines (insulin, anti-psychotics, pain killers, regulators for blood pressure & heart problems, etc.), fuel, etc. run out? The typical storage “lifespan” of each item will probably coincide with the end of life for some.

Potential deaths from: The initial event. Inability to conduct search & rescue. Loss of power & life-sustaining devices. Depletion of medications. Infections due to unsanitary conditions & increased physical activity with risk of injury. Criminal acts by those no longer inhibited by a law enforcement “threat”. Cannibalism?

Local plant sources of specific vitamins, in first example “C”.

“Out of the Box Resources.”
Grease traps.
How to lure & trap local small critters, vs use of a fixed quantity of ammunition. How to “farm”, fixed area or free-range these critters.

Birds
Rabbits
Mice
Snakes
Bugs
Stacy
shadeprepper
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 22
magic and medicine of plants - readers digest
natural healing and how to,
native american healing secrets - porter shimer,

also flipping through about a dozen other herbalism/homeopathy/naturopathy books.

I usually have one book on paganism going and this moment its the sorcerer's handbook - peter j. clark.....

and probably going to really be reading those dozen in the next couple weeks as Í prepare for parils 'lesson:)