Southern Arizona Preppers Message Board › Food Storage and Prep Item: Worcestershire Sauce

Food Storage and Prep Item: Worcestershire Sauce

Sandra
user 10746910
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 76
Todays featured Food Storage and Prep Item: Worcestershire Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce is a very versatile and fairly inexpensive item to have on hand in your Food Storage and Prep Pantry. You can make quite a few very tasty sauces and dishes with this wonderful condiment.

Keep a couple of bottles of this very delightful condiment on hand in your pantry.
Worcestershire Sauce is often used as an ingredient in Beef Stroganoff, and Beef Stroganoff is a favorite with kids and wonderful comfort food in times of emergency!

How Long Does Worcestershire Sauce Last?
Or, the better question may be, does worcestershire sauce go bad? The (open bottle) shelf life of worcestershire sauce depends on the best before date and how the worcestershire sauce is stored. Worcestershire sauce is made mostly of distilled white vinegar, molasses and multiple spices then aged for 18 months before it even hits the grocery shelves. So, the answer to does worcestershire sauce go bad, is not really (unopened)… but the flavor and quality will eventually change. It is a very stable product due to its preservative main ingredient. When properly stored, the shelf life of worcestershire sauce, (unopened) past its best before date is indefinitely.

YOU CAN CERTIANLY MAKE YOUR OWN!
Basic ingredients of Worcestershire Sauce: are salt, vinegar, garlic, sweetener like brown sugar, honey or molasses. From there, you can really make some custom or gourmet Worcestershire Sauce blends.

Aging: This really depends on you.. as little as 3 weeks up to 2 years. You’re more custom or gourmet blends will be aged 1 year plus.

There are tons of Worcestershire Sauce recipes available out on the internet, and they range from extravagant to vegan. Look for one that fits your tastes. Consider the ingredients needed and your food storage manifest. Oil is often an ingredient, so get yourself one recipe with oil and one without.
*Most oils will go rancid in year window. Print these Recipes out and place them in your FOOD STORAGE BINDER!

One of my favorite (no oil) Worcestershire Sauce Recipes

Ingredients
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Instructions (you don’t have to age this).
1.Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute. Cool.
2.Store in the refrigerator. Makes about 3/4 cup.

NOTE: Temperature will greatly affect all food products and reduces shelf life of all foods! Always keep pantry foods in below 78 degrees!
A former member
Post #: 10
No nutritive value, so why stockpile?

Hot sauce has nutritive (Vit C) and medicinal value.
A former member
Post #: 30
No nutritive value, so why stockpile?

Hot sauce has nutritive (Vit C) and medicinal value.

For the added flavor it will bring to the table would be one reason. While I enjoy hot sauce on just about anything some don't like it as much as I do.
Ronni
user 72519982
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 37
I agree with Kip...I store items that don't necessarily have a "nutritional" value but I keep them because they will provide a little bit of comfort to my family when everything else is going crazy around them. Sometimes nothing hits the spot like an Oreo! I do also have Worcestershire sauce and other flavorings (like soy powder) in my stock. Interesting fact, soy and Worcestershire sauce have properties that break down the connective tissues of meats so they work great for making a tough cut of meat edible as well as adding flavor if used in marinating.
James
user 7981064
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 98
It's a great flavor booster or maranade for folks that don't like some of the gamier meats as well ;)