addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Southern Arizona Preppers Message Board › Anyone familiar with Permaculture gardening and Composting?

Anyone familiar with Permaculture gardening and Composting?

A former member
Post #: 87
I'm getting started with doing permaculture and also composting. I'm considering it one of the necessary skills to have after the SHTF for sustainability.
Since I really have no experience to speak of, is there anyone that can help--or better yet teach a class to get more of us involved?

Thanks,
Rich
David
user 54014672
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 18
There is an online pdc: http://www.geofflawton.com/sq/15449-geoff-lawton­

While not in person, he is very well known in permaculture. Found him through the the survival podcast which is an even handed look at things and covers a lot of topics on preparedness, livestock, better living, and ... permaculture.

In fact, permaculture is presented as one of the key areas of resiliency in preparedness as you can always eat what you are growing. To see what is possible, look up the videos on greening the desert to see the results of some of his desert work.

Enjoy
Steve F.
user 12465494
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 32
Tucson Community Gardens, Tucson Organic Gardeners, and Tucson Aquaponics Project all have meetings w/a presentation each month. It appears to me that compost is TOG's speciality.
Melissa
user 136073702
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
I was a member of TOG x 3years, just didnt join this year due to repeat of too many lectures. That said, I do the entire, chicken coop/compost/garden/water barrel thing organically and would be glad to share advice. Also, TOG has a composting link.
http://tucsonorganicg...­ .
Also, I got an email from a TOG member that is holding an open house for ALL this weekend, I may go just to see what someone else does..
CELEBRATE EARTH DAY
with a Compost demonstration!
Join Joy Holdread, a member of TOG and a local composting expert and gardening enthusiast, at her home for a Garden tour. She has 5 different compost bin styles that she has rehabbed for desert conditions.
APRIL 12 and 13 12-5 PM
2627 N. Geronimo (about two blocks west of First and two blocks north of Grant).
Parking for those with handicaps along drive. Others, please park on the street.
The Garden Tour includes:
* Compost bin rehab
* Rain barrels
* Solar panels
* Creative reuse and designs
* Performing chickens
Live music with Paul Scott and Friends
Refreshments
Art Show (Pottery, Sculpture, Paintings, Jewelry, Lamps)
For more information, contact or go to:
Joy Holdread, environmental artist, mudnjoy@aol.com 628-8180
HoldReadArt.com Art web site
Joyshappygarden.com Environmental web site