Southern NH Ukulele Group (SNHUG) Message Board › Solo, Duet, Trio, Even More ....

Solo, Duet, Trio, Even More ....

Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone. I've really enjoyed getting to know you all. I'm disappointed that I won't be attending the luau but look forward to future rehearsals and performances.

I've noticed that there is lots of great talent at the meetings. After the luau preparation and performance I'd really enjoy seeing one or more of you take a couple of minutes at meetings to play something special you've been working on. Between rehearsal numbers I've noted people working on fancy strums, tremolos, finger picking and using a variety of interesting instruments. It would be nice to see and listen to your talent in a focused setting. Would there be any interest in having a "SPOTLIGHT" moment at future meetings where we could all get to appreciate a featured solo, duet, trio, etc??? I think it would be fun listening to the highlights of each of the instruments and talents in a short performance...soprano, baritone, banjo, concert, etc. Then there are all of the vocalists too. I love 2, 3, 4-part harmonies. If this could happen I'd encourage beginners to participate too...its a great way to focus on a piece and develop technique and performance skills.

I've only been to a few meetings. Maybe you've already tried this in the past but thought I would put a suggestion out there.

I really enjoy the group work. The more strings the better. I think the angels traded their harps for ukuleles.

Thanks,
Art
June P.
user 36911232
Rollinsford, NH
Post #: 13
That sounds great to me Art! We will miss you at the Luau but there is much more in our future... see you soon!
Deb J.
user 31859892
Lee, NH
Post #: 31
I have worked up many instrumental pieces myself. I would love to teach anyone who may be interested or work up duets, trios, or group arrangements. It is a daunting task to write arrangements and write the notes and/or tabs. I know there are folks who could contribute parts themselves. Maybe after the Luau we could allocate some time to work on this genre of music for those that are interested. Here is a link to the Uke group of the Uke leash lady. There are other youtubes also but they do all instrumental pieces, maybe one day SNHUG could do something like this? http://www.youtube.co...­ Thanks Art for bringing this up.
June P.
user 36911232
Rollinsford, NH
Post #: 16
Maybe some would like to work on something for St. Patricks Day (we don't have a St Pats gig, but it's a good excuse for something different!)

https://www.youtube.c...­

Since I've no musical background, I may not be able to contribute much, but I can follow instruction and also, I do have a bodhran (which I can't play either...) And I have the music to "The Black Velvet Band"

Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 4
I'd enjoy working on something Irish for St Patrick's day. Either as a group or small ensemble. The Black Velvet Band? Do you have written music? Tab? Standard Notation? I've got standard music notation for older Irish music like "Kerry Dance", "Wild Irish Rose", and "It Takes a Great Big Irish Heart to Sing an Irish Song." I'm interested in any of the Black Velvet or songs I listed. Anyone else? Thanks, Art
June P.
user 36911232
Rollinsford, NH
Post #: 17
Ok, I posted Black Velvet Band Art, please tell me what you think!
Deb J.
user 31859892
Lee, NH
Post #: 36
I have some written music for When Irish eyes are smiling and Tura Lura? I will try to post later today.
Deb J.
user 31859892
Lee, NH
Post #: 37
I did post it yesterday, sorry I didn't say so sooner.
June P.
user 36911232
Rollinsford, NH
Post #: 18
Art, I'll forward those songs to you...I still like Swallowtail Jig, I think that could be a winner too! I love all those Irish songs actually!
Dan M.
user 12912850
Group Organizer
East Hampstead, NH
Post #: 4
Hey Art pull me aside next meetup so we can discuss. I love the idea and was thinking we could devote an entire meetup to members performance. Perhaps schedule it like an open mike and give everyone a time block. Maybe have performers bring their arrangements in case anyone wants to learn the songs. Thanks