addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Southern NH Ukulele Group (SNHUG) Message Board › Low G string on tenor uke

Low G string on tenor uke

Mary Ellen H.
user 104744832
Kingston, NH
Post #: 1
Hi All, As Art suggested , I am trying to replace my G string with a low G string. Andy at Earcraft Music in Dover (where I got my ukulele) was unclear with the specifics of the kind of string and I was unable to supply it. He would love more info so he can have some in stock. His email is www.earcraftmusic.com . I would be happy to supply the info to him or if you know another place I can obtain one. Thanks!! So looking forward to joining you all regularly in Sept.
Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 10
Some of the most common brands are probably AQUILA, D'ADDARIO, and GHS. They all sell sets of 4 string containing the Low-G. I don't know about the rest but AQUILA sells a single Low-G. Check out Amazon or Ebay. Search for "tenor ukulele low G."
Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 11
P.S. I sent a note to Andy at info@earcraftmusic.com
Richard A B.
user 55832002
Contoocook, NH
Post #: 3
The Aquila "red" string is, in my opinion, an experimental product and should not be on the market. I had four of these red low G strings break in 5 days - even after following the elaborate installation instructions and doing a ridiculous amount of "prep" on my Lanikai tenor. Strings By Mail gave me a full refund and said a lot of other people have been having the same problem. I use Aquila Nylgut strings and like them a lot but the red string is being researched, developed and beta tested at our expense! I now have Worth BT strings on this uke and, so far, like them a lot.

Good luck,

Dick
Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 12
Dick.
* Thanks for the tips. I've been wondering about the Aquila Red strings. I was thinking they might brighten up my ukulele visually but wouldn't do much good if they broke or had a bad sound. I like the Aquila Nylgut too.
* Is anyone using D'Addario? Looks like Jake Shimabukuro promotes them. I didn't like them on my classical guitar and have not been bold enough to try D'Addario on my uke.
Art
Johnny H.
user 19198851
Bedford, NH
Post #: 1
I like the D'Addario strings I've been using with high G. The music store in Manchester doesn't carry low G strings so Jeff ordered a set of Aquila low Gs for me. Don't know if I'll get the red or not, but I'll give them a try in any event...

Johnny
Mary Ellen H.
user 104744832
Kingston, NH
Post #: 2
Thank you all for the responses- Thanks Johnny for sending the info to Andy- I will contact him to see when he gets them in.
Dave D.
user 52160832
Wells, ME
Post #: 2
I really enjoy Worth Brown Fluorocarbon strings. They are light and bright and seem to last a long time., and are available in Low G They come in lengths that allow you to make two sets. I use StringsByMail. Here is the link: http://www.stringsbym...­
Good luck!
Dave Decker
A former member
Post #: 9
i bought a wound single low G string from my favorite string source (located here in Milford NH), juststrings.com and they had plenty. Sorry, can't remember the brand because a friend bought my tenor uke, but it sounded great and cost less than two dollars since I picked it up there at Juststrings in Milford center. Check them out, they only sell online and you pick up strings next day.