addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Southern NH Ukulele Group (SNHUG) Message Board › State of the UKEion

State of the UKEion

Dan M.
user 12912850
Group Organizer
East Hampstead, NH
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
It was exactly two years ago I decided to reach out and find some like minded music lovers to form a rag tag jammin ukulele band.  I used the Meetup site and thought 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'.   I guessed back then, that in a month or two I might find 3 or 4 ukulele players within driving distance and just hope for the best.  What happened was two years later we have 100 members!  Holy shniekies!
As the group has grown we have had some bumps and bruises but considering there are 100 of us, I think we have fared very well.  Obviously the mission statement has changed as we continue to attract players of every level.  While growing like a weed on steroids, we have added not only members but, classes, lots of gigs, a hugely popular fund raiser, jam sessions, new music nights, and several charitable events.  INCREDIBLE!
I know the best part of all this is the friendship. I have made, and seen made, many new friendships as a result of this group and the hard work of a bunch of dedicated members.  Thank you all!
Looking ahead to year three I am hoping we can continue to improve the group and the experience for all members.  I truly believe we have an awesome core of active members and see no reason why we can't be the best ukulele group ever.
Some of the goals I see for our group in 2014:
More workshops / lessons
More charitable participation
Remain non profit and  dues / fee free for all members and all Meetups
Add some entertainment nights where members individually or collectively perform
Some challenges I see:
Better, more consistently well organized Meetups
A way of building arrangements that teach and motivate players of all levels
Find instructors
Find performers

I am sure you have some thoughts on what we could add and what we can do better.  We need those thoughts!  In February or March we will be having a planning Meetup session where all are invited to help plan our future.  Please watch for that event and try to attend.  If you cannot, please email me directly at danmathis@comcast.net­ and I will bring your input to that planning meeting.
In conclusion, thanks for your support, and friendship.  I look forward to a music filled 2014 and hope this New Year brings you and yours health and happiness.
Dan
John W.
user 57480632
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 2
Very well said Dan. I am looking forward to 2014.
John
Kathy
Keka
Newmarket, NH
Post #: 2
Happy New Year Dan! :)

I'd just like to say ...Thank-you soooo much for starting this group! :) It's been a lot fun meeting and playing with so many multitalented people.... not to mention being reconnected with old friends (you know who you are! ;)

When I first decided to take the Uke up... it was just for my own fun.... I had no idea I would ultimately be involved with such a great group of Ukesters ;)

So thanks again...to you... and all those who keep this group alive and strumming! :)

Happy New Year to all! :)
Kathy