Treasure Lakes: Fall Colors

 

On Saturday October 6th we will meet at Brown Town Campground dirt parking lot in front of the store at 8:15 and carpool to Bishop Pass trailhead which is located at South Lake. Brown Town Campground is located one mile south of Bishop on the west side of Highway 395. On our way to South Lake we will make several stops to take pictures of aspen trees/groves. The Bishop Creek drainage which contains South, North, and Sabrina Lakes is considered one of the best places in the Eastern Sierras to view fall colors.

Looking down at Treasure Lakes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hike to Treasure Lakes:

Treasure Lakes is a six mile round trip hike with a 1200 foot elevation gain. I would consider this hike an easy to moderate hike for those in shape and a bit of a challenge for those who may not hike regularly because of the high elevation. Most of the trail to Treasure lakes is between 10 and 11 thousand feet. The hike to Treasure Lake begins at the Bishop Pass trailhead and follows the trail above the shore towards Bishop Pass before it splits off. South Lake is lined with aspen trees and if they are peaking the views should be spectacular.

At the end of the day we will head back to Bishop for dinner and later back to Brown Town campground where many of us are staying. If interested we can build a fire and just hang out for the rest of the evening.

Aspen trees on the way to South Lake

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Important notes: Last year when we hiked this area the air temperature never got out of the 30’s so come prepared and check the weather reports before you leave. I have also hiked this area as late as early November in nothing but shorts and a tee shirt…in other words…the weather is very unpredictable during this time of year…Also, this hike is the first day of our Fall Color hike which starts Saturday and runs through Friday. If you have signed up for the Fall Color hike you do not need to sign up for this hike because it is the same hike…and…as of this posting, there are over twenty people who I expect to join us for this hike.

Join or login to comment.

  • Ted M.

    Outstanding hikes all. Bill did a great job organizing the trip and keeping people briefed each day. The colors were unbelievable and the sunset on Mono Lake will be a lifetime memory. Made some good friends and hope to hike with everyone again.

    October 14, 2012

  • Dan J.

    This is one of my fav websites for fall color:
    http://www.californiafallcolor.com/

    Feel free to disagree, or not.

    October 3, 2012

  • Tony S.

    Sunday, 9/16, up at Lightner Flat, the Black Oaks were just starting to turn with about 5% leaves yellow versus 95% green. That's at the 5800 ' elevation and at the extreme south end of the Sierras.

    September 18, 2012

    • Carol

      Enjoy! It was really beautiful and the weather was perfect.

      September 18, 2012

  • Carol

    I just returned from camping at South Lake and the trees are already turning color. It is gorgeous.

    September 17, 2012

7 went

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Henry

I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.

Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders

Start your Meetup today

Act now and get 50% off.
Until February 1.

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy