addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Southern Sierra Hiking Club Message Board › High Sierra Trail 2013

High Sierra Trail 2013

Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 14
Dave, if you wish, any planning can start in here. As I said at Onyx I can't make promises yet because of my work, kids, and my wife working.... but man I would love to do it!

Dave
user 47164542
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 2
Hey Dan, I am looking at July 6-13 for my tentative dates. I don't know if I will plan to hike 7 days or 10 days yet. Since this will be my first trip i have done longer than 3 days I am looking at a couple different options. I will post them as I get them finished up.
Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 15
I did a little reading on it, and if for some reason the permits are full for the start date, there is a second starting location "entry" that can be used, Wolverton Trailhead.

Looking foreward to reading your plan!
Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 16
Besides the different starting option - which might be needed because of the July4th weekend - there is also a different ending option. Techincally the HST ends, I believe, at the junction of the JMT (?) Most continue and either pass by whitney at Trail Creast or indeed climb whitney to "Cap" their HST trip. Seeing as I have done whitney multiple times, I see no reason one HAS to do whitney. The other exit option is to go out through the PCT and exit at Horseshoe meadows. Either exit would be fine end with me. If you or other group members haven't done whitney then #1 seems preferable; however, if you and they are like me and have done it, horseshoe meadows might be better than 2 days of wag-bagging! LOL I don't think the exit location effects permitting though.

By the way, anyone who has done the HST before, feel free to comment. Or anyone who wants to do it.

Mihai
orbitor
Valley Village, CA
Post #: 53
Hey folks, I did the HST in September of last year (after Labor Day). Only one other group and a soloist going in the same direction as us, but I did have to apply for the permit the full six months ahead of time. So you guys are pretty much out of luck for July, sorry...

In my opinion, starting at Wolverton does not constitute a true HST - you'll want to do it "right" the first time. Crescent Meadow has the advantage that you have uninterrupted views of the canyon of the Middle Fork Kaweah River pretty much all the way to Bearpaw Meadow as the trail contours along the northern side of the canyon. As for the finish, Whitney it's definitely where it should end, regardless of the zoo situation on it (which we all know and despise). Going out via Horseshoe Meadows extends the trip by a couple of days. We met some pairs who were doing the HST in the opposite direction having started at Horseshoe - that makes more sense.

You can find a short trip report I wrote here. We took 8 days, but also climbed Mt. Kaweah halfway through. No resupply. I took advantage of the fact that there are lockers at all the main camps to not haul a bear canister. I highly recommend this to lighten the load.

Any questions, feel free to let me know. Good luck!
Mihai
orbitor
Valley Village, CA
Post #: 54
Dan, the exiting location does affect the permit situation. There are trail quotas for Whitney both in and out, the outs must be factored in when Sequoia NP issues the HST permit. There are no quotas to exit at Horseshoe.

Besides the different starting option - which might be needed because of the July4th weekend - there is also a different ending option. Techincally the HST ends, I believe, at the junction of the JMT (?) Most continue and either pass by whitney at Trail Creast or indeed climb whitney to "Cap" their HST trip. Seeing as I have done whitney multiple times, I see no reason one HAS to do whitney. The other exit option is to go out through the PCT and exit at Horseshoe meadows. Either exit would be fine end with me. If you or other group members haven't done whitney then #1 seems preferable; however, if you and they are like me and have done it, horseshoe meadows might be better than 2 days of wag-bagging! LOL I don't think the exit location effects permitting though.

By the way, anyone who has done the HST before, feel free to comment. Or anyone who wants to do it.

Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 17
The bear box idea is a good one - do they have a list of the locations for all the bear boxes? I looked and the park website has a sample schedule but I didn't see a listing of all bear boxes.

I certainly don't need to start on the weekend, so that might help with the entry quota. Permits are going to be an issue but we will just have to do the best we can I guess. I'm good starting at either location on the west side, but obviously the group would need to sort that out.
Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 18
Here is the reservation info:
http://www.nps.gov/se...­

It looks like the reservation season actually starts March 1st. Via postal mail.
3/4 are reservable and 1/4 walkin.

And from what I see, it says you do not need a exit permit via the HST for whitney.

"Hiking the High Sierra Trail and Mineral King area to the summit of Mt. Whitney AND exiting Whitney Portal, the ONLY permit you need is from Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. "

That makes it easier.

My guess is that we won't have anything in the first round of the mail, so we can then look to see what's left here:

And I found the bear locker locations:

Page 20+
Carol M.
user 49028392
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 2
Hi,
Two of us are planning to hike the HST this summer (had been planning on early August) and exist via horseshoe Mds. The big hassle is the vehicle shuttle. I live in Gardnerville, NV and we were planning on driving down to Lone Pine and leaving one vehicle there or at Horseshoe and then driving the other vehicle to Cresent Md. The point of my response is perhaps we can help each other with the shuttle so please keep that in mind. Also, depending upon snow, etc. July may still have alot of snow and of course those wonderful mosquitos.
Alice
user 13882390
Alpaugh, CA
Post #: 37
Dan, in order to use a Wolverton permit for entrance, you have to spend the first night in the Wolverten "area", which means you can't drop down to the HST until the next day. You can find the photos for last year's HST done by me, Kevin and Norm in Sept 2012. We started on Labor Day itself. It was a perfect time of year for the trip. We did it in six days and used bear box locations. Our campsites were Bearpaw, Big Arroyo Junction, Kern Hot Springs, Wallace Creek (this is the junction with the JMT), and Guitar Lake.

I did a little reading on it, and if for some reason the permits are full for the start date, there is a second starting location "entry" that can be used, Wolverton Trailhead.