Southern Sierra Hiking Club Message Board › High Sierra Trail 2013

High Sierra Trail 2013

Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 19
Alice - good to know. That would be pain to loose the first day!

Obviously the weather will bear watching, though from my vantage point on the east side the snow pack this year looks ... sad! How is it on the west side?

The car thing is a real problem. Unless one can get someone to pick them up and drop them off, it means a lot of extra driving.... and if you are alone, I'm not sure how you would do it.
Dave
user 47164542
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 3
Hey Dan, I faxed in the application at 1201 am this morning and as of noon I have already received and email confirmation. I have 4 spots on my permit and one of those is for YOU(if everything works out)cross fingers. The dates will be July 6-13. 7 days entering Crescent Meadow and exiting Mt. Whitney. This will be a little early in the season but this is when we are able to get time off. We will try to keep the group small as to my wife has volunteered to drop off and pick us up. This way we will all fit in one vehicle. I will try to send you the itinerary that I have so far. Take a look and let me know what you think. So far the census is we will decide if we bag Whitney or not when we get there depending on how the group feels.
Alice
user 13882390
Alpaugh, CA
Post #: 38
The snow looks pretty sad on the West side too. Unless we get some late storms, it won't last long. But it also won't change the mosquito situation -- if you go that early, bring a lot of Deet! You'll be spending most camp time hiding from them inside your tent!
Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 20
I will try to send you the itinerary that I have so far. Take a look and let me know what you think. So far the census is we will decide if we bag Whitney or not when we get there depending on how the group feels.
Permit already? Wow, that was too easy!

I'll look back through my e-mail but I didn't see anything.
The ride thing would be great obviously. I could also drop my car off at Lone pine if it helps, but would need a ride back for the start.

The dates are fine, now that I have them, I'll start working to get my old folks over to watch my kid during that time so my wife can work. that's the only major hurdle for me. If I cannot get that done, I think you will easily get someone in my stead.

SKEETERS! I guess that's the pain of flower time. I'll be bringing my full tent then though, not just the tarp and fly.

Steve
user 31469162
Camarillo, CA
Post #: 22
The snow is pretty low on the east side. I snowshoes up the Whitney Trail and I found that the amount of snow up there was pretty sad.

I will be hiking from Kearsarge Pass and exiting Mt. Whitney during the fourth of July weekend via the John Muir Trail. I will post the trail conditions as soon as I get back to civilization.
Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 22
Dave, first group of my backpacking items below... though I need to re-measure a few. I think there was a few things in a pocket of my backpack, as an example. I plan to use my REI dividend to get a summer/shoulder season bag because my three season bag is heavy and doesn't pack well. The long bag I am eyeing weights less than half of my current!

Item Lbs.
-----------------------------------
BackPack - Baltoro 65 5.88
Sleeping Pad - Therm Trail Lite 2.67
Sleeping Bag - REI Flash 3.82--> 1.87

Tent - Seedhouse SL1 2.51

Mutlitool 0.15
Watr Prf Matches 0.02
Lighter 0.05
Bear Canister 2.57
First aid kit ?
Headlamp ?
Extra batteries ?
Water Bladder - empty ?
Water Bottle - empty ?
Poncho ?
Trash Bag ?

Stove - Jetboil Flash 0.94
Stove Fuel Can 0.42
Spork x 2 0.02

Camp Towel 0.2
mosquito repellent 0.037
Water Filter - katadyn hiker pro 0.7?
emergency water treatment - Don't need. 0.15 -> 0
Emergency Sun Screen 0.08
Shovel 0.3
Camp Soap 0.02
Sunscreen 0.38
Toothpaste 0.03

Clothes:
Underwear TBD
bottom Thermal Layer TBD
upper thermal layer TBD
Shirt TBD
Pants TBD
Socks TBD
Liner Scocks TBD
Hat TBD
Fleece TBD

Updated 3/15
Dave
user 47164542
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 4
Nice, I just started getting my stuff together I will post when I get a more complete list together for you to check out so we can compare.
Dave
user 47164542
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 5
Dave
BackPack 6.14 60 oz
Sleeping Pad 2.67 10 oz
Sleeping Bag 3.82 30 oz
Tent 2.51 39 oz
Mutlitool 0.15 2.4 oz
Watr Prf Matches 0.02
Lighter 0.05 0.4 oz
Bear Canister 2.57 40 oz
First aid kit ?
Headlamp ? 2 oz
Extra batteries ?
Water Bladder - empty ? 10.9 oz
Water Bottle - empty ? 0.8 oz
Poncho ?
Trash Bag ?

JetBoil Stove 0.94 3 oz
Stove Fuel Can 0.42 13 oz
Spork x 2 0.02 0.2 oz

Camp Towel 0.2
mosquito repellent 0.037 2.2 oz
Water Filter ? 24 oz
emergency water treatment 0.15
Emergency Sun Screen 0.08 2.2 oz
Shovel 0.3
Camp Soap 0.02
Sunscreen 0.38 2.2 oz
Toothpaste 0.03
These are my weights so far I am hoping to be 25 lbs without food but I think im gonna fall short by 3-5 lbs.
Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 23
As I update I'll add to my post above so we don't get too much confusion. Maybe each update a diff color.