Southern Sierra Hiking Club Message Board › Deleted Meetups

Deleted Meetups

Closed to new replies

Andrew W.
user 19495331
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 4
Has anyone noted that a few meetups are deleted from the calendar (Olancha, Capitol Rock, and Mt Pinos). Each time I click on the notifiation links in my email, it states they have been deleted. Are these all cancelled?
Jill W.
user 14619067
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 7
Plan on hosting Olancha the first weekend of May. Look for it.
Steve
user 31469162
Camarillo, CA
Post #: 25
Olancha is a hoot. What the hell happened. All the events hosted by a certain individual got axed and I noticed this person is no longer a member.

Out of curiosity how can someone host an event? I have some great over nighters that I would like to share with my fellow members.

Steve
user 14528163
Lake Isabella, CA
Post #: 41
I noticed that also, I was signed up for Half Dome and Im still going!! If any of you are going there that would be awesome if we all can hook up. My plans are to drive up there early Sunday day hike there all day and bivy somewhere close to Half Dome and shoot for the summit early. Your guess is as good as mine to what happened to our organizer he just dropped out of site with no warning....
Dan J.
user 16408401
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 28
Whitney is missing too. I know folks had permits for that event.

Whatever happened, if Nathan comes by and reads this, thank you Nathan for years of great hiking! Best of luck with whatever you have moved on to. nothing lasts forever but i enjoyed it while it lasted. THANKS!

I will try and plan events on the east side now and then but my wife has put a limit to about 1 event per month, so hopefully a few others can also step up. Or maybe i should just find a new wife! (kidding!)
Gina
user 85015512
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 1
THE KERN RIVER PRESERVE is also missing, after all these years I was looking forward to finally seeing it! I concur with Dan: NATHAN Rocks and I'm so appreciative for my two hikes with the group :-)

Shannon
user 13618467
Rosamond, CA
Post #: 2
I would like to add my appreciation for all the hikes that Nathan had led over the years. I've hiked with this group off and on since well before it was on Meetup. It's grown allowing more leaders, more frequent hikes, and a greater variety of hikes. I've really appreciated the hikes on the east side which are more convenient to my location and the longer distances. I like to be on trail for longer than the drive to the trailhead. Nathan has really come through with leading so many hikes for such a wide variety of skills all the while being so positive and helpful. This has allowed me to see terrain that I would have otherwise not seen and gradually challenge myself to go longer distances. Given the amount of time that Nathan has generously volunteered to plan and lead these hikes for so many, I imagine that something unforeseen led to the uncommon cancelations. I wish him well and truly hope to cross paths with him on the trail in the future.
Paul
user 13211498
San Tan Valley, AZ
Post #: 13
Any idea why he left the group?
Steve
user 14528163
Lake Isabella, CA
Post #: 42
I herd he has a knee injury but I think there is more to it, I would understand cancelling the meetups but to just quit all together? Your guess is as good as mine...
Jeff
user 4716812
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 3
Glad you could make it back Nathan. Maybe when the weather cools down, we can go visit those pictograph I was telling you about when we visited Rabbit island.