Southern Sierra Hiking Club Message Board › Name Change

Name Change

Closed to new replies

Jill W.
user 14619067
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 10
I would like to change the club's name. Our current name is convoluted, hard to remember, and not really an accurate representation of where we hike. Have you tried to give our name out to interested hikers? What kind of look do they give you???? Exactly my point. I would like to suggest something like: " Southern Sierra Hiking Club, " Sierra South Hiking Club," or "Southern Sierra Explorers." I think these names encompass our hiking range more accurately (excluding the central coast and desert hikes of course)
I understand some are concerned about departing from our Ruby Jenkins roots; however, I'd like to point out that Jekins's books aretitled "Exploring the Southern Sierras." Also, we could write up a short tribute to Jenkins on the home page. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Sam W.
user 14577862
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 26
I have never been able to say our name(except for reading it), or share the name with anyone as I can never remember what it is exactly.

I agree with Jill - just needs to be something simple that does pay some homage to the Jenkins - I like Southern Sierra Hikers or something similar to what Jill mentioned.
Paul
user 13211498
San Tan Valley, AZ
Post #: 15
How about, "People Who Hike Up Really Tall Peaks Then Eat At Subway Afterwords Hiking Group".
A former member
Post #: 1
People Who Hike Up Really Tall Peaks Then Eat Tuna Sandwiches at Subway Afterwords Hiking Group
Paul
user 13211498
San Tan Valley, AZ
Post #: 16
People Who Hike Up Really Tall Peaks Then Eat Tuna Sandwiches at Subway Afterwords Hiking Group
I like that title better!!!!
Sam W.
user 14577862
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 27
or just "Kern River Valley Hiking Club"...like the original
A former member
Post #: 2
This is a fantastic group filled with some great people, but the direction of this group seems to be going away from the Kern River Valley. There is nothing wrong with that, and hikers are enjoying the venue. I am going to try and get over there for the fall colors hike if I can get away because the pictures were so great last time.

With your support I will continue to maintain the Kern Valley Hiking Club as it is primarily my domain. Over the years I have led hundreds of hikes here for thousands of hikers of all ages. I have an interest in the Kern River Valley as it is my home. I am a very active member our community as well as the owner of kernvalleyhiking.com . I hope that when we get enough contributions that we can open up a Meetup site just for the Kern Valley Hiking Club and when I organize it I will restrict it mostly to the boundaries that I have defined. I have committed myself to organizing one or more hikes each month indefinitely and I certainly know a lot of hikers. With the lake and river being so low our community needs the support of the hiking community visiting our mountains and trails on a regular basis year round.

There is plenty of room for both groups, and I think they each have something unique to offer. I propose then that we have two different groups.
Tom B.
user 12367098
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 26
I agree with Sam - Kern River Valley Hiking Club keeps with the groups origins and is easiest to repeat to others when trying to explain. Even Ruby recognized that there were many hiking opportunities in and out of the KRV. Some of the hikes were covered in her books exploring the Southern Sierra. But there were also club hikes that have been tradition since the days when Ruby was leading hike like Owl Canyon and Rainbow Basin. When I google Kern River Valley Hiking club, I am glad to see the meetup group still comes up.
Tony S.
user 13898934
Group Organizer
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 19
I recognize the local appeal and history behind the Kern River Valley name. If Nathan is willing to keep up Ruby's tradition and schedule regular hikes in the area, I think that is a great idea! I think two groups is a good idea and my input is to change our name, as Jill originally suggested, to the Southern Sierra Hiking Club. It ties us to a geographical area close to where 90% of our members live and "Sierra" is more recognizable than Kern River. (I suppose that point is debatable but Nathan's group will cover inquires for that more local area) To me, the name should represent the area reachable for Day Hikes.
We have had hikers join our group because they will be in the area for awhile only and want to hike while here on temporary duty, training or vacation. So covering both Southern Sierra and KRV, we should be providing a public service!
My vote is for Southern Sierra Hiking Club.
Steve
user 14528163
Lake Isabella, CA
Post #: 48
As to me Im confused I like both names but I do like the name Southern Sierra Hiking Club so what ever happens, happens. I think Nathan has an excellent site that covers the KRV and I recommend anyone who is new to hiking and want to hike in this area to visit his site its got lots of info. I would just like to see this site continue also, but if I had to choose, my vote: Southern Sierra HC