addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Lori B
user 14140296
Fresno, CA
Post #: 17
They've just released remaining permits. Is anyone interested in day hiking this year?
Walter R.
user 38135902
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 8
I'm interested in a day hike of Whitney. Mountaineers or main trail is fine with me. I've done both many times. I usually like going up the mountaineers and down the main trail. I can take off to go during the week. Last week of July and first week of August is probably out for me. When are you thinking of going?
Alice
user 13882390
Alpaugh, CA
Post #: 51
I would also like to do Whitney this year - up the Mountaineers and down the main trail. August or Sept, I'm fairly flexible. If it's just a couple of people we could pick up a weekday permit based on the weather, instead of getting one in advance.
Julie
user 12398834
Arcadia, CA
Post #: 2
I am interested in joining you. Please let me you what is your tentative dates but that would be awesome late August or the first two weeks of Sept. Thanks
Gina
user 85015512
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 2
I'm interested! Would like to join you if the dates work out.
Walter R.
user 38135902
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 9
Doesn't look like any open dates left to me. But there are usually several no-shows during the week. Here is how it played out last year.
http://www.whitneyzon...­[/url
Tuesday-Thursday typically give the best odds.
A former member
Post #: 51
Would love to do the mountineers route this year for sure. The only obstacle is getting the permit may have to chance on a walk-in during the week. Lets organize a small group and nail this peak via the mountaineers route!!
Lori B
user 14140296
Fresno, CA
Post #: 18
I've never done Whitney. How much harder or more technical is the mountaineers route vs. the regular trail? Should I do the trail first?

I'd love to do this this year. Sometime in August or September sounds great.
Walter R.
user 38135902
Ridgecrest, CA
Post #: 10
If you go with someone who knows the route the mountaineers never gets harder than 3rd class and that is just above the notch. What is called "The final 400" (feet). Although, the Ebersbacher ledges *are* exposed for a short section after the foxtail pine tree. The MR is steeper than the main trail but only about 1/3 the distance. If you have never climbed on *any* 3rd class and are slightly acrophobic, you might want to stick to the main trail for your first time. It is definitely easier to bail from the main trail if you have to turn around. As long as you aren't on the 1.9 mile stretch from Trail Crest over to the summit. wink
A former member
Post #: 4
Being that the last time that I did Whitney was in 2001, I'd be interested in doing the MR as an overnight if anyone could get a permit. Free ride and dinner on me if it is a successful summit, given conditions are O.K. This year, an early season ascent should be possible, and last year, no problem getting a permit then for May or early June. Of course, snow climbing skills will be necessary, along with colder weather camping. Plenty of 5-6th class experience, can even consider the East Buttress if anyone game.