This shoot is for experienced shooters only. Please seek basic firearm instruction from an instructor before attending. **Pistol caliber, or 556 carbines only***
This meetup's organizer/ facilitator, Neal, may not attend every meet for this repeating event. Please RSVP to let others know you are going and feel free to post a comment below this meet's narrative to discuss any arrangements, or to ask any questions.
Please be at the match early to hear the stage descriptions.
“Cold Shot” is a Tactical Marksmen’s Match and is designed to challenge shooters to accurately place their first shots from a cold firearm while under the stress of competition. Many of the stages of fire are based on actual Police or Military engagements.
The Match will officially begin at 1:00pm. Everyone should get to the match early. The sooner things start, the more shooting you will enjoy. Shooters must be off the range by 4:00pm.
The Match fee is $20.00 unless you competed in the Pistol Steel Match immediately proceeding “Cold Shot.” If you shot in the previous match, the entry fee is only $10.00.
Please forward the following “SAFETY BRIEF” to any new shooters you invite to this match.
THIS IS A TACTICAL MARKSMEN’S MATCH. THE FOLLOWING SAFETY GUIDELINES REFER PRIMARILY TO THE HANDLING AND MOVEMENT WITH A RIFLE.
This is a “COLD RANGE” which means that your firearm must be unloaded at all times. You may only load your firearm when you are under the control of a RANGE OFFICER and you are standing within the shooting box of a stage of fire with your firearm’s muzzle pointed downrange.
Firearm handling is not allowed in the parking lot. Do not carry an un-bagged firearm in the parking area.
Eye and ear protection should be worn prior to entering the Range and at all times while in the Range.
- Bring your firearm into the range encased in a bag or case. Proceed to the SAFETY AREA located to the left of the shooting line (If you are a new shooter to this match, please check-in with the MATCH DIRECTOR and request a SAFETY BRIEF).
- At the SAFETY AREA remove your firearm from your bag or case while keeping your muzzle pointed downrange. Lock your firearm’s bolt to the rear and insert a yellow or orange CHAMBER FLAG into the chamber of your firearm. Lower the bolt of your firearm onto the CHAMBER FLAG.
- If you do not have a CHAMBER FLAG, CHAMBER FLAGS are available for $3.00 each at the safety area table. This is an honor system. If you need a CHAMBER FLAG, take one and leave your $3.00 in the CHAMBER FLAG container. There is also a black marker for you to place your initials on your chamber flag. If you do not have the funds necessary to purchase a CHAMBER FLAG, please advise the Match Director. You will not be able to shoot this match unless you have a CHAMBER FLAG.
- With the CHAMBER FLAG inserted into the chamber of your rifle, you may now proceed to the left and into the Match Stage Area. ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE OF YOUR RIFLE POINTED UP! Ground your rifle at an available rifle rack.
- Ground your rifle at an available rifle rack on the firing line and then sign-in with the Match Director, pay your entrance fee and then proceed into the Match.
- MUZZLE UP, CHAMBER FLAG! Keep your rifle’s muzzle pointed up with the chamber flag firmly inserted into your rifle’s chamber as you move from stage to stage.
- Handle your rifle only to move it from stage to stage. Once your have arrived at the stage you will be shooting, ground your rifle at the closest available rifle rack.
- Give your score sheet to the stage Range Officer when they are between shooters.
- Under the direction of the RANGE OFFICER, step into the shooting box. The RANGE OFFICER will ask you if you understand the stage of fire while removing the CHAMBER FLAG from your firearm. The RANGE OFFICER will ask you to take a sight picture with an unloaded firearm. The RANGE OFFICER will ask you to load and make ready. Once you are ready, the RANGE OFFICER will ask you to “nod” your head when you are ready. When you “nod” your head, you will hear an audible “BEEP” which is your signal to begin shooting. The handheld timer will time each of your shots, from start to finish.
- When you are finished engaging the targets at the stage you are shooting, the RANGE OFFICER will ask you, “ARE YOU DONE?” If you answer, “Yes,” or nod your head to the affirmative, the RANGE OFFICER will request that you, “SHOW A CLEAR CHAMBER” (or “SHOW CLEAR”). The RANGE OFFICER will insert your CHAMBER FLAG into the chamber of your firearm. Lower your bolt onto your CHAMBER FLAG. Remember to keep your firearm’s MUZZLE UP as you proceed to the next stage of fire.
- Everyone is encouraged to monitor fellow shooters to ensure that they are following the match rule of, MUZZLE UP – CHAMBER FLAG!
· Feel free to remind fellow shooters and spectators about eye and ear protection.
· Your finger must be out of the trigger guard when moving between shooting positions or openings in a shooting wall.
· RO’s will not call your hits or your misses.
· A scorer may call MISSES ONLY.
· You cannot re-shoot a stage until you have shot every stage once.
· You will not be permitted to re-shoot a stage without a score sheet.
· Don't wait around between stages. We have a lot of people who need to shoot.
· The sight-in position is called “Remediation” because it is punishment for those shooters who show up with a rifle that has not been zeroed. You must first shoot a stage and score a time before you are permitted at “Remediation.”
· Ask your fellow shooters to call your missed hits on steel and assist with scoring.
· Show up early to set-up and stay late to tear down and you will receive a 50% off coupon for next month. We need five volunteers each month.
· This match is “New Shooter” friendly. At one time we were all new shooters. Please feel free to take the time to make “New Shooters” feel welcome.
WELCOME TO THE WORLD’S FIRST “TACTICAL MARKMEN’S MATCH!”