addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Southwest Denver Photo Team Message Board › RAW or JPEG

RAW or JPEG

Charles G.
user 14617480
Littleton, CO
Post #: 6
I shoot RAW, now that we got that out of the way. I had quite a few people ask me that question at the last meetup. So I thought I would pass this along. It's a quote I found that explains a lot.

As Michael Reichmann of The Luminous Landscape said once, if when you shot on film you usually kept the prints and threw away the negatives, shooting JPEG is for you.

Charles
A former member
Post #: 13
Not a bad metaphor Charles. Like I say when I teach, Shooting JPEG is like buying already baked cookies. They're done, you can't change them without ruining them. Shooting RAW is like making the dough yourself. You can put in chocolate chips or other flavors, you can under bake them for soft & chewy cookies, or over bake them for a nice crisp cookie...the options are limitless. Then you convert them to JPEG (bake the cookie) and it's ready to eat (post on the web or print).
A former member
Post #: 19
Not at all suprising that Jason brought baking cookies into this conversation.
A former member
Post #: 5
It's 0430 in the morning and suddenly I shift from thinking about photography to a "dang, I'm hungry."

And, yes, the time it takes to shoot in the RAW more than makes up for the fact that you can shape the cookies, er, photos, the way you want to ...
A former member
Post #: 14
LOL @ Johnny
Bob S.
user 7958417
Group Organizer
Littleton, CO
Post #: 20
Did someone say COOKIES?!?! biggrin
A former member
Post #: 15
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Ronald B.
user 26445412
Littleton, CO
Post #: 1
This is why I like this group smile
A former member
Post #: 18
This is why I like this group smile

lol Indeed, this group is full of humor and fun! cool
A former member
Post #: 692
It's 0430 in the morning and suddenly I shift from thinking about photography to a "dang, I'm hungry."

0500 in the morning and I am sitting here thinking, "Come to the Dark Side ... We have better cookies!"

I had this discussion just the other day with some photography friends of mine. When I first started with my DSLR, I thought JPEG was the way to go because of the speed and easability. FINALLY I decided to take the plunge after a couple of years and try RAW. I have never shot in JPEG mode ever again. I tell everybody, "Now my question is, why was I so stubborn and wait so long?" :-D

My next question ... who's bringing the cookies to the next Meet-up?