Springfield Freethinkers Message Board General Discussion › Check This Out!

Check This Out!

Trent C.
user 12721327
Springfield, MO
Post #: 5
I got this mailer in my mailbox. On one side, it has, in orange and black big letters: This piece of mail could change your life". On the reverse, it says, in part, and I quote: " we are excited to introduce you to something that can change your life. That something is The Courageous Church, a really different church. During each worship service, you will hear great music, and experience a God-inspired message from the Bible. Our Courageous Kids team teaches biblical values, and a strong foundation of faith. Join us Oct 21 to launch Courageous Church and see how God can change your life, Sunday mornings at 10:30 at 2848 N. Broadway................................­................

oh my.................................

is it just me, or does this really sound like a cult to the rest of you?

Tell me I am just overly sensitive....

Uh.... exactly how many of them AREN'T cults? Kinda asking if a vehicle going down the road runs on gas... not all of'em do, but most of'em do...

And then again.... many of the ones that aren't cults are kinda like gangs.... hmmmm
greggrthomas
greggrthomas
Brookline, MO
Post #: 2,082
This sounds like fun, let's get a group together and go, I really want to see how doG can change my life. If nothing else maybe they're have a free brunch. biggrindevilish
A former member
Post #: 32
If you all are going, someone is going to have to pick me up on the way..I like free brunch as much as the next gal...except if they have anything cinnamon, I won't eat it...
A former member
Post #: 36
yesterday in my mailbox, I got a James River Assembly mailer....if ever there was a crooked church, THAT one is, in my (outsider) opinion....for those of you who lived here longer than me, do you agree?
greggrthomas
greggrthomas
Brookline, MO
Post #: 2,104
I wouldn't say "crooked" I have a better word "criminal".
A former member
Post #: 37
speaking of James River Assembly...

check this out, folks:

I was talking to a friend, she and her husband were looking for a church, they decided to try James River Assembly. She told me that the head of the Finance department asked them for their tax return forms to see how much they made, to inform them of what their "tithes" should be. How is that even any of their business what their parishoners make? Do you think it's because JRA wants to make sure they will pay their 10 percent to get into Heaven, or to fill the church's pockets, or both? I've heard they have other churches around the City, but really..to ask how much someone makes before allowing them to join? Legally, can they do that? As a church?

Thoughts, comments, perspectives?
John-Henry B.
user 9000802
Springfield, MO
Post #: 144
A church is a private group. They can make whatever requirements they want for membership - including insisting on that 10% tithing and enforcing it.
Sure, it's greedy and controlling. But, when it comes down to it, they're pretty controlling about much worse things than your income.
One more reason not to join up.
greggrthomas
greggrthomas
Brookline, MO
Post #: 2,107
They are a real piece of work but so are the rest, I've heard form others that they actually take the tithe right out of the members bank accounts each month.

I need to start a church and get in on this tax-free cash cow, praise the lord of money. LOL
John-Henry B.
user 9000802
Springfield, MO
Post #: 145
Assemblies of God does have their own credit union now.
A former member
Post #: 38
you guys are not shitting me, are you..holy crickets...un-freak-ing real...