Springfield Freethinkers Message Board General Discussion › Secular support groups

Secular support groups

A former member
Post #: 24
My brain is rather oddly wired. Occasionally I get stressed and attempt to make use of the support groups at NAMI. (National Alliance on Mental Illness ) I tried a group Tuesday. God was mentioned, the phrase "Praise Jesus" repeated several times, and the 'what do you believe' question posed in response to my atheism. It was feeling a bit too church-like. Then afterwards I found myself in a discussion of sin. Anyone else think we need some secular support groups in the area? I'd really like to see some that are not only god/s free, but also utilize science, reason, and practical solutions to deal with problems, rather than just discuss how one feels.
Don W.
user 12446118
Springfield, MO
Post #: 1,251
Anyone else think we need some secular support groups in the area? I'd really like to see some that are not only god/s free, but also utilize science, reason, and practical solutions to deal with problems, rather than just discuss how one feels.

Obviously the need exists. Equally obviously, governmental institutions aren't going to support it because they are religion based. And--to add a note of justified cynical pessimism--I suspect providing this kind of service is not likely to be 'flashy' enough to interest many atheist activist groups who could possibly provide some support for it.
A former member
Post #: 72
perhaps we as Freethinkers right here can offer such a group within ourselves...
A former member
Post #: 25
We should. So many in the group have lost friends, been disowned by family...we should help each other. I'm sure a lot of us are going through some scary shit sometimes and need someone who will listen and respond in a rational, and intellectual way.
greggrthomas
greggrthomas
Brookline, MO
Post #: 2,138
I give free hugs. :)
A former member
Post #: 73
I offer whatever help I am able to, as limited as it is...my friends say that they may not always want to hear it, but that they can always count on me to tell them the truth...with tact, but truth..
Mriana
Mriana1
Excelsior Springs, MO
Post #: 201
That was part of what my group was to be about or give you a referral to another group that could do better in that area if it wasn't an issue that is part of leaving religion. I think someone else is taking over the group and I wish her luck in getting people to attend meetings, but my group was/is a group to support people leaving religion and to assist them in finding Secular support groups that deal with other issues.

Another Secular support group I'd like to get into the area is S.O.S. (a secular alternative to A. A. and N. A.). I only wish it came sooner for my younger son. I don't know if he'll come back to this area, but I think it will be helpful to others who want a secular alternative to A.A. and N.A.

I did a whole report on S. O. S. not too long ago: http://www.goddiscuss...­
A former member
Post #: 26
What would it take to get a group like that into Springfield?
Mriana
Mriana1
Excelsior Springs, MO
Post #: 202
What would it take to get a group like that into Springfield?

I don't know. We might be able to ask the Council for Secular Humanism, because they sponsor a group ( http://secularhumanis...­ ). It would be nice to have one and one that includes support for families who have a family member addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. My younger son has put me through a lot this year (among other things putting me through the ringer) and broken my heart twice in one year (of which I'm surprised I'm still standing, because one can die from a broken heart). I really wish I could have someone to talk to about how he's disturbed and upset me from his actions and all, but like you I want it to be Secular. None of this "higher power" Alanon crap. I thought I had stopped crying over what I saw of him after he took something that nearly killed him earlier this year (first heartbreak), but I found out the other day I have not. Because of that, absconding, and doing a non-violent crime to get more drugs after St. John's saved his life, he violated his probation and is now serving 7 years (second heartbreak). I think, if drugs were legal (like alcohol and tobacco), he would of gotten help, instead of disappearing (knowing he violated his probation and was on record for doing so), doing another crime to get more, and ending up serving time, but that's not the most troubling. What troubles me most is what I saw before he was rushed off to the hospital. It was very disturbing, esp knowing what I know about the brain and all, but I don't have anyone to talk to about it all.