align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

St. Louis Game Developers Message Board › Seems we need some meetup topics...

Seems we need some meetup topics...

Randy
user 13695372
Cedar Hill, MO
Post #: 53
Just noticing, but everything after the game jam is kind of undecided. So, since we have time, why not throw out some ideas for good meetup topics?

I'll probably be doing the next meetup after the jam doing something to the effect of "Introduction to Unity Programming: Javascript". Pretty much, I'll show and explain how to program a basic 2.5d movement system. (2d side scroller like Mario, but in a 3d World for those that didn't know.) I've timed myself and got the basic walk/run, gravity, jump, and double jump and it only took like 15-20 minutes, not explaining what I was doing.

Anyway, back to the task on hand. Any other suggestions beside that? I'm sure someone has some ideas. You don't necessarily have to volunteer for it or anything, just ideas. Knowing what people want to have from the meetups is as useful as people willing to demonstrate.
Tim
avantguard
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 86
hey Randy! as i posted in the November meetup event page, i think a discussion on games as art or education would be cool. so i wanted to throw out some links that might get people thinking about those topics.

i did a quick google search and found this article written by Roger Ebert who states that games can never be art. he cites a TED talk by Kellee Santiago which argues the opposite. of course, Ebert doesn't play video games, so he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. in response to his article, Escapist magazine also points this out.

a commenter offered this article on Cracked with 10+ games they consider art.

also, here's an article on why games are not art from a writer who is confused about what art actually is.

here's a short video on video games and learning.

also, a while back Jen Patton and i both posted this TED talk: gaming can make the world a better place, which i think is sort of related to these topics.
Jen P.
JenPatton
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 16
I could do something about games in education, since that's what I do at work.

And games = art, but ya know...artist. I'm biased :3
A former member
Post #: 4
@Tim, I was totally going to link that TED talk. I obviously think she is right and games are already art. For one thing, his definition of "art" is ridiculously narrow, but even using a high brow, exclusive definition of art, I think tons of games meet the standard.

My most recent favorite on this front is Journey by Jenova. Has anyone played it? I'd love to include a video for this meetup.