add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

St. Louis Game Developers Message Board › Holiday Gaming Charity Event!

Holiday Gaming Charity Event!

A former member
Post #: 5
Hey Guys,

First, thank you all for coming out last week and making the discussion so engaging. I think the meetup was a huge success!

As I mentioned, I'd really like to do a Game Developers charity event this winter.

My basic idea is to have a fundraising event where we stream and/or play games with kids from some of the local Children's hospitals, and use the money to buy gifts off the hospital's Amazon wish list.

Alternatively, we could go through a national organization like Child's Play.

To make this awesome, we need some people to volunteer to help organize the event!

Basic checklist:

1. Gage interest among the game developer's meetup (how many people would attend?)
2. Form a committee to run the event
3. Determine how to raise funds
4. Pick beneficiaries
5. Find location
6. Tell your friends, get people involved!
7. Play/make games, Raise money, give toys to sick kids!!

If any of you have interest, or experience running an event like this please, LET ME KNOW.

I'm thinking sometime pretty early December-- weekend of the 8th or the 15th-- so we don't have much time to plan.

Let's use this thread to brainstorm and drum up interest.

So who's in?

Ryan von R.
user 47010172
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 2
I'd love to help out however I can. It's a fantastic idea. I've seen a few charity game steams. The way they seem to work those is they have viewers donate money and for every certain amount they add another chunk of time to continue the stream. The idea behind that was to make as entertaining a stream as you can so people donate and keep the stream going. I forget the last one which did it... I know it was for indie games.

Viewers could also donate to specific games to gain time for those games to be streamed. Those streams also do events, such as pranks on a certain person at a level of donation, raffle tickets given to donators and a drawing held at a certain donation level which halts the gain of tickets for that raffle with different prizes. They also had some interviews for some of the games they played, usually with the lead developer of that game.

As for how the money would be used... Child's Play could be a good option, I've always loved that charity. Though the Amazon wishlist idea is really good too. For Child's Play would we need to contact them or would we just send the money off to them at the end?

As for streaming games, I know how to stream PC, mostly, but beyond that I'm not the person to ask about HOW. Though I could easily find out. :D Let's get this rollin!
Terry M.
user 53420712
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 1
I would also like to help out anyway that I can. I'm willing to make phone calls to find sponsors or even help keep things organized during the event. The sooner we have a more concrete idea the better so that everyone can start posting in social media about the event and getting more and more people interested. I could even contact the corporate office of the company I work for and see if they would be willing to contribute in some manor.

League of Legends is insanely popular and just about any fan of the game will watch anyone play it. At least I know that I would. What would be really awesome is if Riot could put the live stream link of the event up on the start up page. That way as soon as players log in, they will see the "Name of Charity Event Live Stream" link right there in front of them. I don't know how hard it would be to just add one link to that page but surely it wouldn't be too hard for Riot. I'll start brainstorming and post what I come up with.
A former member
Post #: 6
Great to hear guys! I would definitely like the help. The big first step will be drumming up enough internal interest to move forward. Would you guys be interested in having a planning meetup to brainstorm and get the ball rolling?

@Ryan - yeah I think streaming would be a good tool. We actually have a few guys in the meetup -- I know Tim Hely is one -- that do streaming regularly. I'd also like to roll in some more traditional local fundraising/sponsorship.

One great idea from the last meetup was to actually go and play with some of the kids. I think this could have an awesome impact, and goes beyond some of the traditional streaming marathons. Even if we don't raise a ton of money, spending an afternoon playing games with some of the in-patients at Children's Hospital could really brighten up their day.

@Terry, definitely, I'd love the help. We could definitely stream some LoL if there is interest, thought I don't think this should be a purely LoL or Riot focused event. I'm not organizing this as a Rioter, and this isn't about Riot getting PR -- I'd much rather this be owned by the Game Developers of St. Louis as a whole. So while LoL could be part of it, and Riot is happy to host, we should definitely include some other games/activities.

With that in mind, what should be on the docket?
Some big streaming games right now:
- SC2 (anyone have HOTS beta? Monobattles might be a fun draw)
- Halo 4 (I suck at FPS, watch me get owned!)
- Old School fighters? (Street fighter II? Puzzle fighter? Soul caliber?)
- Some more artsy/indie games?

What if we asked viewers for submissions? Send us your game, and we'll stream it!

Let's get some more ideas rolling!
Timothy Ian H.
Valley Park, MO
Post #: 1
So I have a YouTube Gameplay channel. We're not super well-known or anything, but I can wrangle a bunch of people to help out and get involved.
I have equipment to record from consoles, and we have access to a bunch of older games/consoles (NES, SNES, etc).
We haven't done any live streaming, but I know YouTube offers that as a service now, and there's always like UStream (which I used years ago) or something.

The way I've seen other similar things work is that they ask for donations to keep playing... like they play for 6 hours and if they reach a threshold of donations before the time is up, they play for another x hours, non-stop, and repeat.

I kind of see the general idea as just getting a ton of people in a central place while streaming a game, non-stop, rotating games and players every so often for as long as donations are coming in. It would be nice to find someone to donate food and drinks to the cause or something like that.

I am concerned about a couple of things:
Location - where's a good place to get a bunch of people together for a long amount of time, with good out-going internet?
Timing - we're saying we want to do this in about a month? That seems tight to try to find sponsors, get the word out and get donations and things, although it could lead to being an annual event and doing it once makes it better in the future?

We should get a website up asap and setup whatever it takes to get donations (PayPal, Amazon Payments, whatever).

I'd be down for a brainstorming meeting, just let me know when and where and I'll see if I can make it.

I'm also concerned about bringing in actual children into the mix... I don't know that we can keep everyone "G" rated lol and it might be a little weird...
Michael G.
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 15
I love the idea of charity events and giving. I believe that giving is essential to life and supporting those less fortunate or unable.

I will help out as much as I can and would like to be included in any decision making or planning aspects. Also, I'd love to throw a plug in for raising money for SSM Depaul's behavior division and support them by purchasing some iPads for their autistic patients. 1 in 10 children born today will develop autism spectrum disorder and the hospital uses the iPads to communicate with the children more efficiently. They need about 10 iPads for this center and would greatly appreciate any donations or events to help raise awareness and/or donations.

Even refurbished iPad 1s will be great donations as the software is not graphically intense or memory dependent.

SSM DePaul is a non-profit hospital and relies heavily on donations and grants to stay open and provide families with care at greatly reduced rates or even free.

Thanks for starting this thread Clayton!
Ryan von R.
user 47010172
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 3
For streaming, I've been interested in playing some Assassin's Creed 3 multiplayer ever since I bought it. Halo 4 is big for me too, I could probably get a friend involved for some late night streaming, you know, night shift stuff. We could go try to bring back a classic in Phantom Dust. Though it's LAN multiplayer only now since the old Xbox servers are dead. Super Smash Brothers is always HILARIOUS to watch. Borderlands 2 could be... interesting. Dungeon Defenders has possible laugh value as well. Minecraft could be another option. I've got a number of interesting games, I'm sure there are people around with even more.

If we're into some artsy/indie games we could hit up some FTL. Or Awesomenauts... I'd be happy playing through QUBE again. I just got Vitrum through one of the indie bundles so that's an option. Amnesia and Slender create HILARITY, especially if the player is easily frightened, like myself. Dino D-Day? Could always hit up Portal 2's Co-Op. There's so many blasted options.

I like that idea as well. There's some really awesome causes out there, how're we gonna decide which to go with?

I don't think "G" is a viable rating either. Possibly PG. I could bring myself down to a PG I think.
user 13695372
Cedar Hill, MO
Post #: 56
I have a xsplit pro if we need some form of advanced steaming software. (also, I didn't read anything but initial post... aka TL;DR)
Dave D.
user 4321632
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 10
I suggest reaching out to the Webster University Video Game Club ... they've talked about interest in Child's Play quite a bit. Their Facebook Group is here: https://www.facebook....­
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 89
i know nothing about fundraising events, but i'd like to help in any way i can. it seems like it might be difficult to put everything together by early-mid December, and there's also a lot of competition for people's attention with holiday parties and events. maybe we could combine this with the Global Game Jam in January? didn't the Humble Bundle people do some kind of charity game jam this year? i think it would also be cool to get some kids involved in making games, but this might not be the event for that.