The Golden Games is in its third year and growing. This year the series of adventure events features Kayaking, Standup Paddleboarding, Fly Fishing and Slack Lining. Go to www.thegoldengames.com and click on the links at the top of the home page for event details and online registration.
•Compete in one or more events, spectators are welcome
•Special events include: Downtown Pub Crawl, How to Clinics, and Demos
Highlights for Paddlers
Friday May 17,
• 1pm to 4pm – Paddle with pros clinic/demo for kayaks and paddleboards at the Clear Creek Whitewater Park in Golden.
• 4pm to 8pm – Screaming ¼ mile whitewater kayak race down Clear Creek Canyon. This race is for experienced whitewater kayakers comfortable with Class IV whitewater in a steep rocky creek.
Saturday May 18,
• 10am to 4pm – Flat-water Standup Paddleboard races on Big Soda Lake at Bear Creek Lake Park near Morrison. Fun for all, beginners to expert.
• 11am to 7pm – Freestyle kayak competition at Clear Creek Whitewater Park in Golden. Suitable for intermediate to advanced kayakers.
Sunday May 19,
• 12noon to 4pm – Standup Paddleboard race through the Clear Creek Whitewater Park in Golden. This short race runs through several class II+ drops and holes. Paddleboarders should wear safety gear including a helmet, PFD, wetsuit or dry suit, and protective footwear. Inflatable paddleboards are recommended. If a leash is worn it should be a quick release SUP leash.