This Meetup is cancelled

Monterey Bay & Elkhorn Slough

  • Monterey Bay Kayaking

    one in Monterey, one at Elkhorn slough, Moss Landing, Monterey, CA (map)

    36.804401 -121.786896

  • 8/22/13 update: scheduled for last weekend in September, 27th-29th. House is booked in Monterey for up to 6, others can choose hotel or camping. We'll arrive friday nite, paddle Elkhorn slough (have done this on SUP, but have to go EARLY as winds come up and it was difficult but not impossible SUP'ing back) and Monterey Bay Sunday 9//29. You will see a lot of marine life at both places!,, Please RSVP. I will make arrangements with both shops at both locations(they give us a discount for rental gear) but I need to know how many will be renting, so please RSVP and say if you will be renting! Also need to know if you are interested in staying at house with me...

    I've just spent two glorious days paddling Monterey & Elkhorn Slough. Got to ride a 14' bark board (WOW!) and the beauty of the area speaks to me. For those who'd like to do this, we can schedule a weekend and either camping for those who like to camp, or those who want to camp in a hotel, altho I can get a friends house for up to four of us. Elkhorn Slough was amazing with otters and hundreds of new seal pups. Of course the weather Gods will be our mistress. Have worked out a deal with Monterey Bay Kayaks for a group. Who's in?

Join or login to comment.

  • Michele

    Don't have enough participants to book the house. Please comment on when a good time to do this is....I will postpone for now.

    September 5, 2013

  • Walter B.

    Arrggg... don't think I can make that weekend. It's possible.. but at this point I have another commitment.

    August 27, 2013

  • jenny c.

    I'd like to commit to Saturday. Can't wait!

    August 26, 2013

  • Michele

    I need a commitment for 4 for the house or else I need to cancel reservation

    August 25, 2013

  • barbara

    Michele.......Tamara and I have tickets for Savor the Central Coast on 9/28, so we cannot go to Monterey.

    August 25, 2013

  • jenny c.

    Is it possible only to attend either one or the other days but not both?

    August 22, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    I have an event Step 21, but, Barbara B and I are on if we can work a date out.

    August 22, 2013

    • Michele

      Super. I just checked on the house and its not open that weekend. What works for you? The following weekend. We may have to camp(fine with me!) but would love to do Elkhorn slough one day and Monterey the next

      August 22, 2013

    • Michele

      The house IS available the following weekend. Sleeps up to 6. She prefers 4 adults because of water shortage tho...would be $50 /pp for 4. Special deal as she is one of my BF. but we need to book ASAP. Thanks

      August 22, 2013

  • Laurie

    Michele, is this going to happen on Aug 10? I think the date had been a "possible" when you couldn't reset the date to TBA, but now it's getting close.

    July 16, 2013

    • Michele

      My friends house that sleeps six is not available this weekend so I'm trying to change the date. Would September be better when kids are back to school and it won't be so crowded be better, August is a big vacation month so personally would rather do then, say 3rd weekend? Please let me know if that works for all.

      July 17, 2013

  • Walter B.

    Re: the date change: too far out for me to know for sure, but will probably work. Summer is summer... folks are in and out with kids, etc. It probably won't matter.. just pick a day when YOU can go, and whomever can make it will make it. If it works out well.. another trip can be scheduled so that others can participate.

    April 17, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Barbara and I are planning a kayak trip to CR and Panama first two weeks of June. This lands right in the middle of that trip. I used to live in Carmel back in the day and would love to kayak the bay sometime.

    April 16, 2013

    • Michele

      sorry, looks like a lot of folks who are active are out of town, should I make it for late July instead?

      April 16, 2013

    • Michele

      btw, very envious!

      April 16, 2013

  • Walter B.

    On Sunday the 9th, high tide back at the railroad bridge (back part of the slough) peaks at 1:14 pm. The tidal range is about 3 feet which could be significant for some paddlers, producing a moderate current to fight on the way back to the mouth of the slough between 9:00 am and noon. It takes about an hour at a leisurely pace to get back to the bridge, so we'll have plenty of time to get packed, have breakfast, etc before launching.

    April 15, 2013

  • Walter B.

    Ok.. at this point I'm IN ! :-) Should be fun.

    April 15, 2013

  • Michele

    Ok, I am setting a tentative date for this. June 8th 9th. Anyone who can, can go up on Friday nite. Many camping places and of course hotels (plus 3 of you can join me in a friends house , vacation rental) The first 3 to email me can stay at my friends house. It can sleep 6 but she's asked me to keep it down to 4 due to it being an old house. I do plan to gather at the house and have a barbq on sat nite (before finding a place to dance!?!?)but I need 3 others . Cost would be $50 nite plus cleaning fee ( about $125)
    We can paddle from Monterey bay kayaks over to aquarium and back Saturday morning, and Sunday early morning paddle at Elkhorn slough. Both have rentals If you are going up Saturday morning that is ok also but plan n being at Monterey bay kayaks by 9 am.
    I have arranged discounts from them for our group but have to call in number renting within two weeks. Include whether you are renting sup or kayak. i think Ill kayak on Sunday but Sup on Sunday...Lets paddle!!

    April 15, 2013

  • Walter B.

    A two-day outing could make it easier for more folks to participate. Those who can't make it for both days might be able to do one day or the other.

    April 8, 2013

  • Walter B.

    I might go.. like everyone else it depends on the date. Elkhorn is like Morro Bay in that tide conditions can be a player there. The weekend of May 11-12 would have favorable tides, and would provide for a late morning start on the flood tide that peaks around 1:30 on Saturday and and 2:30 on Sunday, with only a foot or so of tidal range between high and low. A start time of around 11 should give folks time to drive up from the CC.

    April 6, 2013

    • Walter B.

      I would agree.. as long as you're up there, might as well make a weekend of it. The weekend of June 8-9 would work for Elkhorn

      April 7, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      I am more interested in the Bay then the Slough

      April 7, 2013

  • Bob M.

    I'd love to go, haven't had a lot of time on my hands of late. I will keep an eye on a date.

    April 1, 2013

  • Nanine

    I'd love to do this. What weekend(s) do you have in mind?

    April 1, 2013

Cancelled

This Meetup is community funded

$5.00/year

Member dues are used to:
  • Cover Meetup costs
  • Encourage more engaged members
  • Provide supplies or equipment

14 day free trial

No credit card required

After the trial you must pay dues to continue attending Meetups.

Cancel dues at any time.

Dues are billed each year.

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Bill

I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.

Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy