Star Fleet Battles Indy Message Board › Favorite race in Star Fleet Battles?

Favorite race in Star Fleet Battles?

Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 1
Most players of the game develop a particular affinity for one or two of the races portrayed in the game. Do you have a favorite? If so, tell use which one it is, and why...

My favorite races are the Federation and the Gorn. The Federation ships are well-rounded, generally very capable craft, with good shielding--particularly in the front. The Gorn are another personal favorite due to their use of plasma torpedoes.

-Tony
A former member
Post #: 52
I never took to the Federation as I don't like the all-or-nothing effect of the photons. I love the Fed fighters, though. In the past, my philosophy was that I'd rather do some damage than go all or nothing. I used to play mostly with distuptors. I played a fair number of Klingon ships.

Toward the end of my SFB days I also tried the Neo-Tholian thinking that the webcaster would be good for use against the drone and plasma races, but I guess I never could use it right. I also liked their balanced shielding thining about envelopers.

I never played much with the Wyn or Hydrans, though I like the hellbores. I want to try to learn to play a plasma race, I think... maybe the ISC.

Favorite though? Right now I'm not sure... maybe Klingons due to my familiarity with them.
Nick H.
user 29929812
Avon, IN
Post #: 1
It's got to be the Romulan Star Empire....Two Words.... CLOAKING DEVICE!!!! or PLASMA TORPEDO....take your pick biggrin and then there is the Nuclear Space Mine that makes a transporter bomb look like a firecracker!!

Now I'm going to jump to the SFB race that needs to wiped from existence!!! The Kzinti!! Pathetic excuse for a warp species that hasn't figured out that ship is capable of doing more than launching shuttles, drones, and fighters. No wonder why the Klingons hate them!! Death to the Kzinti Republic!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 54
It's got to be the Romulan Star Empire....Two Words.... CLOAKING DEVICE!!!!

I never could figure out how the cloaking rules worked. More importantly, I never could work out how to attack a ship that cloaked....
Nick H.
user 29929812
Avon, IN
Post #: 2

I never could figure out how the cloaking rules worked. More importantly, I never could work out how to attack a ship that cloaked....
We stumbled on those rules as well, but we worked thru them and adopted the optional rules that removes a cloaked ship from the game-board when weapons lock is lost!! Gotta love it!!
Gren
GrenTheBarbarian
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 10
I have always favored the Hydrans. Massed Plasma Beams will ruin anyone's day. And their "secondary shield" (the center hull) helps them to survive to point blank range to deliver them. Before the Feds deploy all those ridiculously over loaded "fighters", the Stinger IIs carried by those Plasma Beam ships were a credible threat on their own. Oh yeah, and they have Hellbore Cannons too. :)

But in a more traditional stand up fight, I tend to go with the Romulans. Cloaking device (with hidden movement) and Plasma Torps make for an entertaining combination. Though I'm willing to play any race, any time.

Back in the day, the gang I used to play SFB with used every rule in the book. Tac Intel, modified drones, boarding parties, etc. Anyone else like to play all out?
Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 2

We stumbled on those rules as well, but we worked thru them and adopted the optional rules that removes a cloaked ship from the game-board when weapons lock is lost!! Gotta love it!!

Yep, Nick has spanked me with Romulan ships *numerous* times. The hit and run tactics they use fit him to a "T". <sigh>

-Tony
Nick H.
user 29929812
Avon, IN
Post #: 3
Yep, Nick has spanked me with Romulan ships *numerous* times. The hit and run tactics they use fit him to a "T". <sigh>

Any your tactics with Kzinti havn't put a bad taste in my mouth at all!!! <friggen drones>
Nick H.
user 29929812
Avon, IN
Post #: 4

Back in the day, the gang I used to play SFB with used every rule in the book. Tac Intel, modified drones, boarding parties, etc. Anyone else like to play all out?
We aren't there quite yet. We have been slowly adding new rules as we add the races. We really never used the tac intel rules, even when we were playing frequently. We are just open with each other about the damage done to our ships & shields- the up side of this is that all the LAB boxes become additional internal damage that you can take without consequence!! biggrin
Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 3
I have always favored the Hydrans. Massed Plasma Beams will ruin anyone's day. And their "secondary shield" (the center hull) helps them to survive to point blank range to deliver them. Before the Feds deploy all those ridiculously over loaded "fighters", the Stinger IIs carried by those Plasma Beam ships were a credible threat on their own. Oh yeah, and they have Hellbore Cannons too. :)

But in a more traditional stand up fight, I tend to go with the Romulans. Cloaking device (with hidden movement) and Plasma Torps make for an entertaining combination. Though I'm willing to play any race, any time.

We have been looking at this as an eventual option. To be honest with you, though, some of the advanced and optional rules don't seem to add much to the game--other than severe amounts of complexity. For example, the rules for keeping track of crew units seems unnecessary. This rule stipulates that every tenth internal hit would kill one crew unit. At this rate, your crew units will almost never dip below minimum levels, and the additional recordkeeping seems to be a pain. The rules for mid-turn speed changes due to energy loss are extremely complex, too. Though it may accurately reflect a mid-turn loss of energy production, I wonder if it's worth stopping gameplay for 10-20 minutes so the affected player can modify his ship's energy allocation in the middle of the turn. I certainly don't object to rules simply because they might be complex, but there is the whole cost/benefit ratio to consider.
Other advanced/optional rules *do* add to the game, though-- hit and run raids, hidden placement rules, etc. They add more options for the players, and change tactics in the game in a substantive way. SFB is written to be tailored by the selective use of optional rules to suit the players at the table. If this were not the case, there would not be optional rules in the first place.
What we have done in the past is discuss the use of optional rules prior to play, so that we can agree on what is and is not included. This gives everyone a chance to voice opinions and preferences, and to present arguments in favor of or against specific rules. Right now, Nick and I have been away from the game for several years, so we are gradually introducing the more advanced rules in measured steps. This has been a great help, and it has allowed us to actually see the tactical implications of adding each new rule or rules set into the game. I takes time, but it has helped us in not feeling overwhelmed by trying to reabsorb all the rules at once.
I am curious to hear how others feel about this question, as well...

-Tony