addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Star Fleet Battles Indy Message Board › Favorite race in Star Fleet Battles?

Favorite race in Star Fleet Battles?

Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 4
It's got to be the Romulan Star Empire....Two Words.... CLOAKING DEVICE!!!!

I never could figure out how the cloaking rules worked. More importantly, I never could work out how to attack a ship that cloaked....

Yes, Nick and I struggled with those rules as well. We were finally able to put it all together, though. We had to use the hidden placement rules for cloaked ships to get it to work out. Well, let's face it: What good is being cloaked if you have to leave the ship counter on the map so everyone knows where you are???

-Tony
A former member
Post #: 55
If I couldn't handle a Romulan when it was left on the map after lock was lost, I don't want to know what it's like to fight one when it is off the map....

Honestly, I don't remember many of the rules about cloaking... just a bit about phasing in and out over a number of impulses, but that's about it.

For a first game back to life with SFB I'd hope that I didn't have to fight one.

Maybe it would help me if I actually experienced running one of those ships, or even just watched someone who knew how to use one (with access to the EAF, location of the ship(s), etc.)
Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 5
If I couldn't handle a Romulan when it was left on the map after lock was lost, I don't want to know what it's like to fight one when it is off the map....

Honestly, I don't remember many of the rules about cloaking... just a bit about phasing in and out over a number of impulses, but that's about it.

For a first game back to life with SFB I'd hope that I didn't have to fight one.

Maybe it would help me if I actually experienced running one of those ships, or even just watched someone who knew how to use one (with access to the EAF, location of the ship(s), etc.)

I understand what you mean. Nick and I played several other battles before introducing the Romulans. The Romulan cloaking rules are one more example of why I believe it is wise to gradually introduce new rules rather than trying to assimilate everything at once.
The cloaks have a five-impulse phase-in and phase-out period, during which the Romulan cannot have his fire control systems activated. Nick usually uses a miniature photocopy of the hex map to track his Romulan ships' movements while cloaked. After the battle, the other players can check this to make sure everything was on the level. Without the counters on the map, it really reinforces the advantage the Romulans gain from being cloaked. Their enemies have to be ready to respond to an attack from any direction. It does complicate the battles, but they are tense-and fun to play. And we have learned that tactics are *everything* when fighting Romulans.
If this makes you feel better, it is extremely unlikely that we will play a Romulan engagement on December 3rd. Several of us are either new to the game, or have been away from it for some time, so we will probably play something that allows everyone to ease back into playing the game. We will save some of the more confusing and complicated stuff for a later meetup.

-Tony

Aldo
user 13932312
Surrey, BC
Post #: 8
I am the new guy here (at least in spirit being on the west coast and all) and I know it has been some time since someone has posted a comment, but I would like to add that my all time favorite ships to fly are the Romulans! I am sure everyone has figured out the cloak rules by now; but if you need a question or two answered, I am more then willing the help out.

I also played several sessions with the optional rule of removing the ship from the board when cloaked. Loved it! It felt like a submarine hunt. But we came across a problem. I could lay hidden mines out of my hatch, but the enemy couldn't. How would they (or I know) when I hit them?

Second race would be the Klingons. They can be fast and annoying to my opponent smile. My disruptors never stopped firing! devilish

I do also like flying the occasional Andromedan too. Ooooh they are scary and lots of fun, when I can roll properly for the Displacement Device that is confused. I am currently playing a 1000 point battle and I am the Andros. I am ripping my opponent apart bit-by-bit! He has lost his PFs, and tender and is about to loose his scout. Oh what fun it is! biggrin

-Aldo