addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Star Fleet Battles Indy Message Board › Rules questions / resolutions

Rules questions / resolutions

A former member
Post #: 58
I was thinking about Romulans again today, and was wondering how hidden cloaked movement would mesh with hidden transporter bomb placement. Should we have a game referee to resolve these issues?
Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 7
The way the rules are written in the book--Yes, you would need an impartial referee. However, Nick and I usually play with a house rule which stipulates that T-Bombs (or any mines) are never detonated by cloaked vessels. For us, it has been an easy concession that does away with the need for a non-playing mediator.

-Tony
A former member
Post #: 59
Here I was thinking that hidden t-bombs would be a great way of locating a cloaked vessel. Bummer.
Nick H.
user 29929812
Avon, IN
Post #: 5
Here I was thinking that hidden t-bombs would be a great way of locating a cloaked vessel. Bummer.

I seem to remember in the basic rules that they have a example of a Gorn/Romulan encounter where a T-bomb was detonated (after a failed attempt to gain weapons lock-on with ECM/ECCM) by the Gorn player by flying one of his own shuttles into the detection range. The resulting explosion created a "Flash Cube" alowing the Gorn player to obtain weapons lock. So, even in the books example, a cloaked ship would not set off a T-bomb.

Yeah, it sucks....if your not the Romulan anywaylaughing
A former member
Post #: 60
I wonder whether the example had the Romulan moving at a very slow speed (which it would have been if it were a Warbird, or possibly the low-powered War Eagle).
Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 8
Maybe Nick can give me a reality check on this, but I think I remember reading that cloaked ships normally only set off T-Bombs on a roll of "1". That's why we just decided to avoid the issue and say that cloaked ships never set them off...

If I get a chance, I will look this up and post what I find.

-Tony
Anthony H.
user 24685202
Group Organizer
Bluffton, IN
Post #: 9
The original rule for mines being set off by clocked vessels is as follows:

Cloaked ships have a reduced chance of setting off mines (and T-Bombs). When the roll is made to determine if the mine goes off, three is added to the roll. However, an unmodified roll of 1 always indicates a mine is triggered. This is supposed to reflect that the electronic "feelers" on the mine cannot make contact with the cloaked ship. These rules are under G13.55.

Nick and I experimented with this before. We narrowed it down to two options if you want to use hidden mine placement and hidden cloaked movement rules together:

1. Have a non-playing referee who can keep track of both of these, or
2. Create a house rule that changes the mine detection rules for cloaked vessels.

Previously, Nick and I did not have a third person available to fill the role of an impartial referee, so we created the house rule (#2) to compensate. If someone is willing to sit out of the action and be a referee, you could go with the original rule (#1).
A former member
Post #: 64
The last game brought up the question regarding cloaking in an Orion that doubles engines. My belief is that at least one time in the last 20-30 years I read somewhere that cloaking cost increased with doubled engines. I'm wondering about that... is that a real rule, of a figment of my imagination?
Aldo
user 13932312
Surrey, BC
Post #: 9
The last game brought up the question regarding cloaking in an Orion that doubles engines. My belief is that at least one time in the last 20-30 years I read somewhere that cloaking cost increased with doubled engines. I'm wondering about that... is that a real rule, of a figment of my imagination?

(G15.32) DOUBLE ENGINES: If the warp engine output is doubled,
the power required to operate the cloaking device is also doubled due
to the brighter electronic signature that must be masked. If only one
engine is doubled, the cost of cloaking is increased by 50% if the ship
has two engines, 33% if it has three. Doubling impulse engines does
not increase cloak costs.

-Aldo