Staten Island Beekeepers Message Board › NewBee's bee hives

NewBee's bee hives

Peter B.
user 14502373
Staten Island, NY
Post #: 7
I thought last nights discussions were good, but still left some still wondering what type of hive to use.
Bush bees web site discusses the various types and uses. Hives can cost upwards of $500 dollars but I found TBH's for $150, without legs and Langstophs for $120. Or if your handy, you can build one much cheaper. I have the tools and the time, if your interested, I can cut your lumber to size for a TBH or I could custom build any hive to your design at a fair price.

Pete,
Jean Lowry C.
user 33865722
Staten Island, NY
Post #: 1
I thank all of you for your collective ideas. Peter, I am leaning toward a Warre hive and will look on the Bush bees web site. My concern for now is to order my bees before they are all sold out. I looked on the White Oak site and am perplexed about what to order. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Jean
Timothy M.
user 10467420
New York, NY
Post #: 7
Here's a helpful link for an inexpensive way to build a top-bar....
http://www.saveourski...­

FREE Pallets (for construction of Top bar hive above) are available at Lafayette Ave. and Van Buren St. (NW corner) in S.I., NY.
http://bit.ly/zDsbgO...­

Francisco M.
user 11536399
Staten Island, NY
Post #: 17
Tim. Thanks for that heads up! I will look into this. This would actually be a good topic on my blog page, building your own top bar hive for free. Will be driving by this area today, it's not to far from where I am. I am by the zoo, here on SI.
Peter B.
user 14502373
Staten Island, NY
Post #: 8
Jean, If you decide to buy and use a Warre hive, then you would be best to buy a package, as the transfer from 18" frames to the smaller top bars is a messy business at best, left to someone with more experience. Not sure if White Oak would sell a package and queen or he might start a nuc on the smaller frames. Can only ask. You need to give him the size of the top bars.

Pete