addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Hilary J.
user 72562722
Group Organizer
Palatine, IL
Dear Steampunk Explorers,
I have been paying for the monthly meetup cost myself -- but would like help with this.  Meetup has a way to do this online with dues.  But I am also sensitive to varying budgets and I don't want anyone to feel that they have to pay out money they haven't got.  That said -- the dues could be a voluntary 5.00 per month.  I would like to get your feedback on this before I move ahead with it.  If there is surplus money, we can start accumulate funds to reserve interesting spaces for future events or defray costs for adventures.
I hope that everyone is flourishing and that many will attend our December 2nd meet up at Peggy Kinnane's.  If you have pictures from TeslaCon, please bring them as I am longing to see them!!!
Thanks,
Hilary
Earl E
user 10316487
Roselle, IL
Post #: 4
Wait, there are Meet Up dues? My suggestion would be to drop meetup, save on dues, and use Facebook to get the word out about meetups/hangouts. Facebook is free (at least last time I checked) and I'm pretty sure most of the people that attend this group are on facebook. I know we already have a Facebook page, but there is a different version, also free, where people can post, share, and converse. All you would need would be few folks to ask as admin (to make sure the page does not get spammers or monitor inappropriate content).
A former member
Post #: 272
Meetup charges all organizers a fee to host our groups (I run groups on here too). But it's up to the organizer to decide whether or not they want to ask for help with that fee from members.

Personally, I'd like to keep the group on Meetup, because it has more features than Facebook and it's easier to "see" details and posts for upcoming meetups on here. Facebook pages for groups tend to get cluttered and posts get lost in the mix. I think it would be cool if we had a Facebook page in addition to the Meetup page, but I'd be more than happy to help with the fee Hilary has to pay Meetup to keep the group on here too.

Meetup allows a Paypal option where we can just donate online if we want to make it easier. Maybe a yearly donation for all members that we all pay once for this group, and then we don't have to worry about paying monthly?

The fee to run a group on Meetup is around $70 every six months (if an organizer picks the six month version, the monthly cost is higher, if they pick the monthly plan version), but that fee allows an organizer to run up to three groups on Meetup.

That's my two cents, since I'm an organizer myself. smile
Al S.
BroadwayAl
Arlington Heights, IL
Post #: 4
I do no agree with the concept of charging enough to fund an event down the road. What if those of us paying dues at $5 cannot or do not wish to attend the event? Events with costs should be born by attendees. Remember if this site required $5 from each member that would be over $500.00 I would rather split the $70 among the 106 members and let big events self fund.