addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Stevenage Boardgame Club Message Board General Game Forum › Help me pick a game!

Help me pick a game!

Daniel P.
user 14641208
Potton, GB
Post #: 14
I have some money from in laws and work colleagues and so can splash out on a big (pricey) game. The current choices I am leaning towards are:

Eclipse, dominant species, a game of thrones.

I've played dominant species and agot and found both enjoyable. I've never played eclipse but am sorely tempted. My worry would be its difficult to introduce to new players and takes a while to play. Anybody played any of these extensively and have any opinions?

Thanks,

Dan
john
user 46689532
Stevenage, GB
Post #: 76
played DS once, didn't like it; played game of thrones once - yawn; eclipse is good, I have a copy - I can bring it on friday if you want to give it a whirl?
Paul H.
user 33457102
Stevenage, GB
Post #: 12
two words "Twlight imperium" mind you it may be fairly similar to Eclipse. I would like to try Eclipse. I played GoT I thought it was good and I don't really know DS, doesn't look my bag.
Tony C.
user 84517732
Stevenage, GB
Post #: 1
I was in a games shop yesterday and heard the store owner tell someone that Eclipse is like Twilight Imperium, but "in 5 hours rather than 12". Have no way of knowing how true that statement is, though...
Dave R.
user 10610269
Stevenage, GB
Post #: 3
I don't think Eclipse should take anywhere near 5 hours unless you're playing a first game with 5 players. 4 player games in about 2.5 hours is about right usually. 30-40 mins per player is about right.

Twilight imperium is an all day game though. It's more epic in nature than eclipse, but personally I think you get the same kind of feel with both.

My personal favorite at the moment is Archipelago. DS is good, but it tends to generate a bit love it/hate it attitude. It's more "meaty" than the others.

Daniel P.
user 14641208
Potton, GB
Post #: 15
I'm leaning towards eclipse. John - could you bring it on Friday? Do you reckon we could get through a game in time?
john
user 46689532
Stevenage, GB
Post #: 77
Sure, I'll bring it along. Depends who else is playing - the first time we played at ware it took over 5 hours with 5 players if I remember correctly (or 4 players after I anihilated matt). So it depends if anyone else has played it, and if I remember any of the rules at all! But certainly doable if we're all fairly competent and a couple of people have played before.
Rob B.
user 13733569
Letchworth Garden City, GB
Post #: 3
I guess it took 5 hours last night, have you considered Exodus? From the description in this video it might be another one to try alongside Eclipse and TI

http://www.youtube.co...­
Daniel P.
user 14641208
Potton, GB
Post #: 18
Thanks for all the input. I had a look at exodus but wasn't sure it would be my thing. I have opted for eclipse in the end as I am clearly a sucker for big spaceships with masses of firepower...
Chris
user 62019682
Bedford, GB
Post #: 11
Thanks for all the input. I had a look at exodus but wasn't sure it would be my thing. I have opted for eclipse in the end as I am clearly a sucker for big spaceships with masses of firepower...
Games Lore have a "damaged" copy of Eclipse for a little over £50 (if you've not bought it yet!)
http://www.gameslore....­

I've opted for their "damaged" games in the past, and I've received items from elsewhere that are not supposed to be damaged, turn up in worse condition than these do.