StoryCode New York City Message Board › Transmedia Hackathon Discussion Thread

Transmedia Hackathon Discussion Thread

Mike K.
user 11426362
Group Organizer
Summit, NJ
Post #: 1
This is an online discussion thread where we can further talk about the Transmedia Hackathon.
Aina
ainaa
Brooklyn, NY
Please post your ideas, both those you contributed at the June meetup, and any new ones you have. We hope to cull a consensus within the next couple of weeks.
Jen B.
user 2810677
Irvington, NY
Post #: 18
When should we consider holding the hackathon? Would people prefer a weekend day, a week day and for how long? What are everyone's thoughts?
Ali R.
ACRobin
Brooklyn, NY
Weekends are best for me.

Really excited about this!
Brian F.
bfountain
Brooklyn, NY
A few quick bullet point Suggestions

• Format: At least 3 narratives on three platforms, 48-72 hours
  • Pre-event: Have a resource where people can learn about the skill sets of other participants
  • Make it a competition (or at least have special recognition awards). It's more press worthy if there are winners. It's also useful for inexperienced participants to build their résumé. Awards could be stuff like "Best use of narrative," "Best use of technology" or "Innovation Award."
  • Allow anyone to participate with any size team. Teams can choose whether or not to demo their project.

Jeffrey S.
user 11524298
East Brunswick, NJ
Is there a more complete description of what the Hackathon is all about?
Lorraine Hopping E...
HoppingFun
Ann Arbor, MI
For the chance to help create a transmedia experience, from scratch, with a room full of diverse and talented people, I would fly into NY (day of week irrelevant to me). Here are some thoughts.

What if we all start with the same rich, well-known public domain narrative in a broad genre? A modern Don Quixote, let's say (other ideas?). We prepare a skeleton of a bible ahead of time, wiki-style, for everyone to chew on.

Then, instead of coming in with pre-set teams, we brainstorm together the narrative and platform possibilities, including options for audience participation (cheese holes), trail heads (rabbit holes), fiction/nonfiction aspects.

On the spot, we break into smaller teams, based on skills, experience (newbies with vets), and perhaps some random pairings (to keep things interesting), to execute drafts/prototypes of the various pieces. I think a big part of the experience would be to work creatively with people you just met, esp those who are in a different field.

We reconvene to share and synergize and tweak the overall transmedia plan. At that point, pending time, teams could continue to execute or explore some new avenues or scramble members to broaden the experience. Debriefing could be very open-ended and include discussions of craft, team work practices, content, and monetization models or options (a biz plan?). And beer.

Should all the material generated be Creative Commons? Everyone free to develop their stuff further and do what they want with it? How would that work? Game jammers generally post their raw products online for feedback, but their games are stand-alone. A transmedia creation would obviously hang together better as a whole.
Aina
ainaa
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
I should have posted this initial summary of our ideas on the Hackathon earlier as a guide so that we can clearly define the objectives of the initiative...but here it is now.

BIG PICTURE
TRANSMEDIA NYC wants to have fun MAKING transmedia in an open, collaborative and engaged forum. Using the “hackathon” style challenge, we can use existing meetup as the home base for this project and provide opportunities for our current members and members of the wider Transmedia community to “play” and develop in a space that could use more action and less talk.

OBJECTIVES
- Give creators an opportunity to play in the space
- Build awareness of transmedia locally and beyond
Expose process, de-mystify the idea
Create controlled case studies
Visibility for all sponsoring orgs/partners

STRUCTURE
An open call to all creators asks them to pitch a Transmedia project based on a theme (TBD), with 3 executable creative possibilities on 3 separate platforms. At a TMNYC meetup, the audience will decide which pitches should move on to the hackathon. (All must agree to CC license)
Chosen creators are given mentors, assisted in rounding up a team, and given the tools they need to create their hack. Creators have up to 8 weeks to work on their hack prior to the Hackathon date. On the day of the event, an audience is presented with the results of their work so far. As a final challenge, they will execute an on-site “event” that MUST include audience participation.
At the end of the day, a panel of judges decides on a winner. That team will win cash and/or resources to get their project off the ground.

THEME IDEAS
Privacy 
Friendship
Distance  
Conceptual Idea in the City (Love in NYC)
Street Food 
Urban wildlife
Space (personal space, living space)

Jen B.
user 2810677
Irvington, NY
Post #: 19
I'd like to discuss press coverage when we have the dates and concept in place as well (I know this is jumping the gun a bit, but no better time than the present). This is a great article topic for Culture Hacker, Filmmaker Magazine, Tribeca, etc.
Randy A.
Randy_Astle
New York, NY
I wasn't able to go on Tuesday night. Is anyone who was there able to give a summary about any Hackathon discussion? It'd be nice to hear any ideas that were floated around. Thanks!