align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Suncoast Audiophile Society Message Board Main discussion area (visible to non-members) › What's spinning (or streaming)?

What's spinning (or streaming)?

Mike K
user 14121317
Tampa, FL
Post #: 49

On vinyl

Streaming
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 139
My CD "finds" at Banana's yesterday ($22 total!!!)...
Eric Clapton Unplugged
David Chesky The New York Chorinhos and Club de Sol
Flora Purim Stories to Tell
A former member
Post #: 4
Bought the new Tori Amos from HD Tracks. The recording was interesting and pretty good. The performance was very different, and I'm not sure if I love it or hate it...it is really that different. Her young daughter sings on a couple tracks, and she was impressive.

I also picked up the latest Anthrax and Primus CD, but I only had a chance to listen to those a little in the studio.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 156
Ella and Louis... also featuring Oscar Peterson (piano), Herb Ellis (guitar), Ray Brown (bass), and Buddy Rich (drums). All I can say is wow!

I got the 24/96 version from HDtracks, but it's also available in redbook from Amazon (click on album art for link).

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 172
Carmina Burana... A newly remastered analog recording from 1970, with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra, with the New England Conservatory Chorus, and soloists Evelyn Mandac, Stanley Kolk, and Sherril Milnes. Perhaps not as bombastic as the Atlanta Symphony version on Telarc, but definitely a great version of an old classic!

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 177
Gino D'Auri... Flamenco Passion XRCD (track 1 was part of Ken's demo). Click on the album covers for Amazon links.

Some of those same tracks are also on this redbook CD version... Flamenco: Passion & Soul, which I think actually sounds better than the XRCD (not usually the case).

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 185
Just got another Gino D'Auri album... Flamenco Mystico (1992 release on the Hearts of Space label). It's nice, but a bit more "New Age" flavored, and more "laid back" than his latter two. However, definitely worth picking up, especially used.

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 195
Blues & Grass by the 52nd Street Blues Project. Actually d/l the 24/96 version from HDTracks, as it's currently one of the weekly specials. Superb live recording! Click on the album pic for the SACD Amazon link, which I presume was the source for the high-res d/l.

Also listening to the 24/96 Fleetwood Mac Rumours, which is a tad better than the Redbook CD.
Robert S.
user 29417462
Spring Hill, FL
Post #: 7
I just finished listening to Foreigner's 4 album on LP. Talk about a great album. You have "Urgent", Girl on the Moon, Juke Box Hero, and Waiting for a Girl Like You.

http://www.amazon.com...­

Great Listen.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 203
New (24 bit 252.8 KHz remastered) "DXD" version of the classic Sheffield Lab Drum and Track Disc... which is basically a new "iteration" of the XRCD format (playable on any CD player, and rippable to FLAC). I won't spill the beans on my impression of the sonics here, but we'll compare it to the original Redbook version at our upcoming meeting Friday 11/18!