Suncoast Audiophile Society Message Board Main discussion area (visible to non-members) › DAC's, DAC's, and DAC's

DAC's, DAC's, and DAC's

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 194
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Here's an interesting compilation Charles Hirt found, listing the various DAC's (and transports) used in current (and vintage) CD players and outboard DAC's... http://vasiltech.nm.r...­

Not sure why Oppo isn't included, but it's a Russian site, and perhaps Oppo isn't distributed there. The list appears to be fairly inclusive, otherwise.
A former member
Post #: 4
Your Russian site is also loaded with Spyware/Malware.
Hopefully, you have the appropiate protection software in place and up-to-date.

Glenn
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 196
Your Russian site is also loaded with Spyware/Malware.
Hopefully, you have the appropiate protection software in place and up-to-date.

Glenn

Thanks for the warning Glenn.

I actually have both MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-malware running on my computer, and neither of them flagged this site as suspicious. However, I did NOT click on any of the links at the bottom of the page, as I was only interested in the audio content, which appears legit. I also ran an additional full system scan, just to make sure, and no threats were detected.

Regardless, I advise anybody using Windows to make sure they have up-to-date antivirus and anti-malware security installed. You can get a free version of Malwarebytes here... http://www.malwarebyt...­
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 197
Fostex has announced yet another 32-bit DSD-capable DAC/headphone amp... http://www.fostexinte...­

Unfortunately, it's not slated to ship until early 2012. Nice to see that DSD seems to be gaining traction! I just hope it actually survives as an alternative high-res format!
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 204
Here's another value-oriented new DAC from Audiolab, based upon the Sabre 32-bit chip, with Class A analog output plus a headphone amp! It was designed by John Westlake (who also designed the original Cambridge DACMagic, and some Peachtree Audio gear). Advanced pricing from the North American distributor only $750! This one's also going on my short list!

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 212
ESS Technology (manufacturer of Sabre 32-bit multi-channel DAC chips), has some interesting PDF downloads discussing jitter and digital volume control (see section titled RMAF 2011 Presentations by Martin Mallinson)... http://www.esstech.co...­

Also, for those interested in the evolution of the AudioLab M-DAC, engineer John Westlake has been participating in a (lengthy) thread about the M-DAC (and related 8200 series gear) on the Pinkfish Media Forum here... http://www.pinkfishme...­

I'm very impressed with his candor in addressing some of the initial production issues related to their chinese manufacturing facility.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 213
Well, since the introductory pricing for the M-DAC ends on 12/1, I took the plunge and ordered one (20% restocking fee if returned). Unfortunately, they appear to be in short supply, and it will be at least 8 weeks until shipped. Looking forward to comparing with my old Benchmark, and Oppo (with same Sabre DAC chipset), vs. other new designs (i.e. Bel Canto Dac 3.5VB, and hopefully the new Cary soon). Of note, Audiolab says they plan to offer an upgraded external power supply for the M-DAC sometime next year.

Perhaps we can plan another "DAC Shootout" meeting in 2-3 months!
A former member
Post #: 3
With my old Audio Note in need of repair and hi-res coming over the horizon, my mind has been wandering to the next DAC question.

I'm trying to figure out if the newer AN's are doing 24/192, because I've been extremely pleased with the old one. The Burson DA-160 also has my interest.

But as you say, there are so so many out there it's tough to tell which direction to head. Because of my positive experience with the AN I'm inclined to tubed, and my preference would be used in the <1000. range.

If I find out AN can do hi-res and I can find a 2.1 for under 1500 I just might do it. Otherwise I'll get my 1.1 fixed and live with cd quality for a while, maybe give a burson or rega test drives. I don't have any hi-res music yet anyway.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 225
FYI, just found out the North American pre-orders for the Audiolab M-DAC have been sold out, and the initial shipment has been delayed until after 12/31. Looks like the next production run will be ~ March. Price has gone up too! Guess I'll need to wait another month to see if I made the cut!

Any further word on the new Cary DAC?
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 255
Bummer. Looks like the M-DAC might be a "one hit wonder" as it appears (from his posts in the Pink Fish Media forum), that designer John Westlake and Audiolab have already parted ways, but he will be offering M-DAC upgrades with his own company. Not sure what to make of this, so thinking about cancelling my M-DAC (pre) order.