Suncoast Audiophile Society Message Board Main discussion area (visible to non-members) › Listening room flooring upgrade... going from carpet to wood or tile

Listening room flooring upgrade... going from carpet to wood or tile

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 283
My wife and I have decided to upgrade our kitchen, to include new wood or tile flooring extending into our (currently carpeted) family/listening room. We'd add a fairly large area rug on top of the wood or tile, so I'm thinking the impact would be minimized. We're leaning towards wood, but tile might prove more cost-effective (and more durable for the kitchen).

Has anybody done such an upgrade in their main listening area, and if so, how much impact did it really have on acoustics, especially with a large area rug?
George L.
user 13945598
Seffner, FL
Post #: 22
I would do tile in kitchen area and hardwood in the family room area. I suspect with the hardwood floor you gain more bass which I think would be a good thing. You can then tune with area rug like I do. Tile in kitchen would be much better for spills and dropping things onto it. That's what we have done. Also if you decide tile make sure it's porcelain which is MUCH more duralble then ceranmic. Ceranmic chips easy.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 284
Unfortunately, it's gotta be one or the other. Our goal is to emphasize our open floor plan, so we want uniform flooring throughout. I'm really hoping to get tighter bass in the end, but hopefully not at the expense of increased reverb. If we use wood, it has to be something scratch/water resistant. Bamboo is another option. Meeting with our designer later this morning to discuss further.
Brad R.
user 13948254
Tampa, FL
Post #: 7
If you have not looked at cork that would work for both. Not everyone likes the look though. That's what we were going to use in the kitchen and dinning room until Donna figured this was her last chance for marble floors. The cork is comfortable to stand on and water is not a problem assuming you don't flood the room. I would think it would be good with the acoustics also. There are numerous sizes,appearances and colors to choose from.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 285
Gave serious consideration to cork, but it can be cut/puntured and/or get permanent indentations with stereo racks and speaker spikes <g>.
Jose S.
user 29482502
Fort Myers, FL
Post #: 3
Your only concern using tile on top of a concrete slab is sound reflections, while if you go with wood flooring you have to add "the resonance factor" into the equation. I wont doubt to go with tile, but if you choose the wood floor, it will be better glue it down vs just floating.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 286
Just met with our designer, and we'll go with wood throughout (glued, not floating). We'll probably install the "water cop" system for peace of mind... http://www.watercop.c...­

Looks like a 3+ month project once we start, but it'll be another couple months to finalize the kitchen design. In the meantime, we're ordering a new family/listening room ottoman (upholstered) to replace our granite coffee table, as our first "acoustic upgrade."
A former member
Post #: 12
Stranded bamboo is the hardest wood floor available now. However, I wouldn't advise using spikes on ANY wood floor - use something between the spike and the floor.
Philip R.
inline_phil
Brooksville, FL
Post #: 34
I agree with the bamboo and the spikes issue. Plus the bamboo IMHO looks the best.

The problem is what to put betweem the floor and the spikes that does not defeat their operation?

I've found that small squares of granite cut to the size of your speaker footprint do a good job. A piece of felt under the granite makes for reasonable coupling at a reasonable investment.
A. Colin F.
Acolin
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 199
love wood, but not in kitchen, there is underlayment you can get which might help with reflectations, still going to be brighter than wall-to-wall