addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Suncoast Audiophile Society Message Board Main discussion area (visible to non-members) › Listening room flooring upgrade... going from carpet to wood or tile

Listening room flooring upgrade... going from carpet to wood or tile

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 305
Only problem is that bamboo does not do well with spills, so is not recommended for kitchen installations.

Wood floors (regardless of their Janka hardness score) will inevitably get scratched and dinged. That's why we're going with an already "distressed" finish. Additional scuffs (Mike's golf shoes or Ellen's stiletto's <g>) will only enhance the look! Our designer showed us her 3 yr old Brazilian Cherry floor yesterday, and it looks great.

Just need to decide if we want to "risk" the chinese manufactured brand. Waiting for ProSource to get back to me with alternate "distressed" options from U.S. manufacturers, but my internet research has found that China has apparently surpassed U.S. technology for creating "hand cut" and "distressed" hardwood finishes (in fact, the entire furniture industry as well). And it's not only because of cheaper labor. They're implementing technology on a much greater scale than we are.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 306
Only problem is that bamboo does not do well with spills, so is rarely recommended for kitchen installations.

Wood floors (regardless of their Janka hardness score) will inevitably get scratched and dinged. That's why we're going with an already "distressed" finish. Additional scuffs (Mike's golf shoes or Ellen's stiletto's <g>) will only enhance the look! Our designer showed us her 3 yr old Brazilian Cherry floor yesterday, and it looks great.

Just need to decide if we want to "risk" the chinese manufactured brand. Waiting for ProSource to get back to me with alternate "distressed" options from U.S. manufacturers, but my internet research has found that China has apparently surpassed U.S. technology for creating "hand cut" and "distressed" hardwood finishes (in fact, the entire furniture industry as well). And it's not only because of cheaper labor. They're implementing technology on a much greater scale than we are.
Mike K
user 14121317
Tampa, FL
Post #: 86
I watched a special on how they distress the wood in wood floors. It was fascinating. People beat that stuff with chains and the like.

I also like a distressed floor. They look "lived in"

My floors are solid oak board parquet from 1957. I could sand a half inch off those babies and still have oak to finish. We had them finished in a "basketball court" finish 20 years ago and the surface does scratch and dent. At first we freaked out with every mark, but soon we came to like the uneven look of it.

I think buying it already "dinged" is a good idea.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 373
We're still working on the new kitchen/floor designs, so looks like late summer before we'll start construction. In the meantime, our new upholstered ottoman finally came in, to replace the family/listening room "acoustic nightmare" granite coffee table. First, the good news... it really makes a difference in overall soundstage and imaging. Definitely one of the best WAF-friendly acoustic treatments I've done yet! Now, the bad news... they shipped us is the wrong ottoman! Fabric is correct, but wrong frame style. Now we need to live with the old granite disaster for another 2+ months until they ship the correct ottoman. At least I got a "taste" of the improved acoustics yet to come!

For any of you with a hard/reflective coffee table in the middle of your listening setup, I strongly encourage having a listen without it, just to see what deleterious effect it's having (if any).
Brad R.
user 13948254
Tampa, FL
Post #: 10
Glad to hear things have taken their first step forward. If only for a short period.

Was the musical image larger, clearer or deeper? I often wondered what the table in front of our couch did to the dispersion pattern of the sound.

I'm sure it was quite disappointing to see they made the wrong style. We had some custom chairs made years ago and when they arrived the quality was at issue and our designer refused to let them be completely uncrated and we waited another 2-3 months to have them remade so I understand your frustration.

One of these days I need to come over and hear your CJ equipment. Yea it has been a while.

I am about 2 days from having the kitchen cabinets finished and then only back splash to install. I am so ready to get back to some trim and paint in another room.

Looking forward to see what you do with the kitchen/family room. Construction has a mind of its own. You can only force it to move so fast.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 375
As expected, soundstage is deeper, and imaging more precise. Surprisingly though, the bass is LOUDER, but a tad BOOMIER. The old coffee table had obstructed the line-of-sight from my Summit front woofers to my listening position, whereas the (smaller) ottoman does not. I should be able to "dial in" the bass again with the Summits' 25 and 50 Hz trim controls, but will wait for the wood floors, etc. Of note, we'll also be getting rid of the hanging pot rack in the kitchen, so will be interesting to see if that has any acoustic impact!

BTW, anybody here have any experience with induction cooktops? We're thinking of going that route instead of gas.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 376
Here's a view of the upholstered ottoman, from the sweet spot, wearing my special acoustically absorptive socks! biggrin

Brad R.
user 13948254
Tampa, FL
Post #: 11
That looks much more comfortable than the table. Nice fabric. Are the gold toes high frequency or low.
Donna's sister put one in her new house. It has been about 9 months I think. She likes is but said it was very different than the electric stove she had been using. She would prefer to have gas but her husband has never lived with gas and didn't want it in the house.
It was a bit off watching the element come on and off as quickly as it did but that has nothing to do with operation.
If it means anything she seems to overcook everything when we have gone there for dinner since its installation. She is a very careful cook so it may be the learning curve though.
Me I like gas and we finally have it back after 20+ years with electric.
Sorry, alot of information with no conclusion.
A former member
Post #: 31
Looks far more comfortable.

Don't feel too bad about room challenges. My wife's chaise is about 9" in front of my left speaker, blocking the lowest woofer pretty much entirely! Still sounds (surprisingly) pretty good to me, but of course who knows what I'm missing. You'll see when we get you over for a listen.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 562
Well, after a year of planning, we finally got the wood floors down! We ultimately chose Anderson's engineered Dellamano Maple Amaretto, hand-scraped and mildly distressed, and manufactured in U.S. We ended up using Hurst Hardwoods (dealt directly with Craig Hurst, who was great). Price was competitive, and they did a great job with tile removal and installation.

We still have 6+ weeks to go with the full kitchen remodel, but I'm temporarily setting my system up again for preliminary acoustic measurements tomorrow. Then I'll move everything out of harms way before kitchen drywall gets cut. In the meantime, we'll start looking at 8' x 10' acoustic floor treatments that masquerade as wool rugs. biggrin