Suncoast Audiophile Society Message Board Main discussion area (visible to non-members) › Listening room flooring upgrade... going from carpet to wood or tile

Listening room flooring upgrade... going from carpet to wood or tile

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 563
Had some time today for a quick listen, plus baseline XTZ measurements.

Fortunately, things sound (and measure) better than before! Overall, there is more energy in the upper midrange and highs, with a smoother high frequency response! Temporarily adding an 8' x 10' rug (as expected) further smoothed out the upper midrange and highs without detracting from the overall "live presence" (yellow trace is with rug, green trace without).

I thought bass was a tad "boomier", and there is indeed a slight bump at ~100-120 Hz. However, I haven't yet optimized speaker placement, so I don't expect that issue to persist. At this point, it looks like the wood floors are my best (albeit expensive) acoustic tweak yet! Will be interesting to see what happens when kitchen cabinets, countertops, and appliances go in!

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 594
Thought I'd post a quickie update. Kitchen remodel has been slow-going... but I've been intermittently firing up the system to see how the cabinets, island, and granite have impacted adjacent family/listening room acoustics. Thus far, it's all good. Our kitchen island (behind primary listening position) is now counter depth (vs. previous "bar" height) and now oriented at a 45 degree angle (vs. parallel before)... so no rear reflections whatsoever. Still have another 6+ weeks to go before completely done, so I'll wait until then to remeasure with XTZ. Fortunately, don't think I'll need to beg for permission to install acoustic treatments on cabinet doors. biggrin
George L.
user 13945598
Seffner, FL
Post #: 31
Alan, glad it's workomg out for for the better! Can't wait for the listening session.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 639
Just a quickie update. Finally got to place my speakers where they belong (~48" from front wall), and really listen to the new room acoustics/imaging. Before = smile Now = shockbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Next step... XTZ Room Analyzer measurements (hopefully by next weekend).

I'll try to host another meeting sometime in the next few months.
George L.
user 13945598
Seffner, FL
Post #: 34
Glad to see all of those smiley faces.
Philip R.
inline_phil
Brooksville, FL
Post #: 82
...host a meeting in the next few months.
I can only imagine what such a big change will bring to your ears. Are you shooting for the Live-end Dead-end approach for room treatment in the final version of the room?
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 644
... Are you shooting for the Live-end Dead-end approach for room treatment in the final version of the room?
Not really. Probably more live at both ends now, but fewer rear reflections.