addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Suncoast Audiophile Society Message Board Main discussion area (visible to non-members) › Plasma TVs and Toroidal Transformers

Plasma TVs and Toroidal Transformers

Grant P.
gjposner
Tampa, FL
Post #: 33
Check the TV itself to make sure ample shielding is present. I am not sure if it is user serviceable as literally everything about it for the first 2 pages on google are reviews that you did or forum posts ha ha! I have used all types of TV's around my equipment. Some have toroids, some have EI's I just sat a Toroid from my tube amp project next to a few plasma TV's (went to a buddies house too) without any humming or buzzing issues. You could try shielding the transformers as well. It is a resonance thing obviously and adding a metal shield should isolate it from RF issues (faraday cage of sorts). alternatively, call Samsung and see if they may have an issue but it sounds like to me that it may be time just to try a different model that is plasma as well to try and eliminate some variables here.
Philip R.
inline_phil
Brooksville, FL
Post #: 78
I've been using a 60" Pioneer Pro-151FD Plasma for a few years and have never experienced any 60hz hum issues.

I also have an AC Line Noise and EMI "Noise Sniffer" that I bought from Sound Advice when they were clearing out all their merchandise and equipment just before they shut the doors. It's a tool the salesman would use to demonstrate the effectiveness of a power conditioner. This morning, I placed the Noise Sniffer next to the screen to see if it would pick up any EMI noise and it was relatively quiet. The sensitivity is adjustable and will definitely pick up any EMI or AC Line Noise if it's there. I have everything is plugged into a modest Panamax conditioner but I have no idea if this conditioner is transformer based.

You're welcome to try the noise sniffer if you think it will provide any clues.
Thanks for the offer, Craig. I suspect that this may be a Samsung-only issue after reading other posts. Not sure why RFI is so bad with this set but it appears to be.

I have eliminated the Samsung plasma from my rig and moved to the UN65F8000 LED. I have zero issues.
Philip R.
inline_phil
Brooksville, FL
Post #: 79
I just sat a Toroid from my tube amp project next to a few plasma TV's (went to a buddies house too) without any humming or buzzing issues.
Thanks for the info and helping me regain my sanity. It was incredibly stressful to flip on the TV and during quiet passages hear this buzzing. I got an uncomfortable feeling that the amp was going to come apart if it continued under these conditions.

What gets me is that the UN64F8500 is otherwise a gosh darned nice set. I hated to see it leave but out the door it went. The UN65F8000 is close but no cigar as far as black levels are concerned and colors are almost but not quite as vibrant. But it solved the issue and it consumes 155W vs. the 650W of the plasma. My room is cooler and most importantly my wife is happy (WAF=10).
Russ G.
user 13947780
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 30
3B ST
Philip R.
inline_phil
Brooksville, FL
Post #: 80
3B ST
Dual toroidal, true dual mono. Very nice toy! See Stereophile