align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Suncoast iOS Message Board › Free and pay version

Free and pay version

Pete G.
user 9000208
Tampa, FL
Post #: 1
Has anyone done an app where there is a free version and a for pay version?

Is it possible to offer an app where the user downloads a version with only the free features enabled and then must buy the pay features from a separate website? (They pay at a website and next time they synch the phone to the website it downloads a key activating the phone)

That bypasses Apple's control of the money. Would they approve something like that? If so how would the app be submitted for approval?

Any thoughts?
Brian S.
user 11794638
Tampa, FL
Post #: 3
I'm fairly certain this is prohibited (99.99% sure I read this in their guidelines). Making features available via purchasing not done thru the App store will get you banned and app removed. Let me see if I can find that reference, will post if I can find it.
Brian S.
user 11794638
Tampa, FL
Post #: 4
http://developer.appl...­

Section 11.1
Apps that unlock or enable additional features or functionality with mechanisms other than the App Store will be rejected

There's your answer, it's an App Store No No.
A former member
Post #: 3
In addition to being against the apple guidelines, I'm curious why you would want to do this. It sounds like a lot of work to integrate a separate payment mechanism. If there is one thing I've learned from my years in software development, it's the value of reusable components and existing services. If there's a way to build your app that allows you to minimize the amount of development you need to do, even if it costs you 30% of your revenue, that is a fair price to pay. Besides, with all that apple offers, its hard to see why anyone would want to recreate what they've already honed to near perfection.

-Aubrey
Pete G.
user 9000208
Tampa, FL
Post #: 2
Thinks for the info. I foresee linking apps to webpages which might provide a separate stream of revenue. Since I would already be collecting money there, its not additional work. Making components available or not is pretty easy, a few lines of code. While I respect Apple's position and certainly would like to see them earn, it's been my experience that the more directly one can control their flow of revenue the better their position. Cash flow and cost of reimbursements being two issues.

The other aspect is how to generate interest from customers who might otherwise be reluctant to purchase a full feature app. Perhaps creating two flavors, the free, or $.99 version, and the $9.99 or possibly even the $99.99 version.