Super Fabulicious Hiking and Outdoor Adventure Group Message Board › Information about NO SHOWs and RSVPs

Information about NO SHOWs and RSVPs

A former member
Post #: 18
--- On Mon, 6/8/09, sharona wrote:

Hi Terrie....thanks for your comments. I hope you don't mind if I add them to our message board, because you make very valid points of things we have all gone through.

I heard the Memorial Day Laytonville weekend was alot of fun. I hope it is organized again sometime, because I'd really like to join, especially since I've never been up to that area.

--- On Mon, 6/8/09, rnterrie wrote:
Thanks, Sharon, for your thoughtful message. I've only organized one outing so far, and it really was a LOT of work. I experienced the frustration of having people booking a spot only to cancel one or two days before, or even on the day of the event; then I had to scramble to try to get others in to cover the cost of the group campsite!

SuperFab has a lot of activities that are a little to far for me to participate, but the few I have been on have been great. You guys do a wonderful job of organizing and I hope you know how much you are appreciated by most of the participants.

Hope to join you soon on an outing,
Terrie

A former member
Post #: 19
I am in several Meetup groups, but one is by far the best managed.
We screen everyone that comes in, and we remove people who cause problems.
We have a firm "3 strikes, you're out" policy on No-shows and last minute (less than 24 hours) cancelation....and it WORKS to keep the no-shows to a very minimum.

Also, if a person hasn't logged into the site for 6 months....they are removed. What good is it to have thousands of "stale" profiles / INACTIVE people? This keeps are group fresh, active, and FUN.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work!
Annoymous
A former member
Post #: 20
--- On Mon, 6/8/09, Allyson wrote:

Hi,

I've been meaning to RSVP and join an event, but have not had a chance to. But, Ive always enjoyed your style of writing (entertaining!) and will do some day.

I think this post is spot on. If someone has gone out of their way to organise something, then definitely people should be more courteous.

Good luck!

a

A former member
Post #: 20
I agree with this group's philosophy entirely considering I am an organizer for two different running groups and its definitely inconsiderate to RSVP and then not show up.

-Robert
A former member
Post #: 11
Thanks for your great, clear policy.

I run another Meetup group and have a question for you: How do you deal with "no shows" from people who get moved from the Wait list to the Yes list at the last minute? I noticed one author above says that another group considers an RSVP change to NO in the last 24 hours the same as a no-show, but what about the person that gets pushed into the Yes list and may receive an email in the middle of the night before an event?

I'm just curious how you handle these "apparent no-shows" who aren't really to blame.

Thanks for all your work,

Lee
Chris J.
blackforest78713
Group Organizer
Walnut Creek, CA
Post #: 21
Thanks for your great, clear policy.

I run another Meetup group and have a question for you: How do you deal with "no shows" from people who get moved from the Wait list to the Yes list at the last minute? I noticed one author above says that another group considers an RSVP change to NO in the last 24 hours the same as a no-show, but what about the person that gets pushed into the Yes list and may receive an email in the middle of the night before an event?

I'm just curious how you handle these "apparent no-shows" who aren't really to blame.

Thanks for all your work,

Lee

Hi Lee

I just read through this again, I think I mentioned that "24" hrs change to "no" as counting a no show, and it ended up in the list.

What I do is I turn off all e-mail reminders for my hikes and send one e-mail reminder (not a automated one) about 36 hrs before the hike, and mention now would be a good time to change to "no" if plans have changed.

I usually will change the waitinglist to manual the night before the hike, that way there is no surprise midnight adding.

Most of the time I don't care about a less than 24hrs change to no, but I have done more than 6 hikes were the limit was 12 hikers due to permit and it really sucks when there is drop outs last minute and it is too late for someone else to get in.

I know last minute changes come up and most members will send me a note it that happened to them, it is after 2-3 times I won't move them from the waitlist to the "yes" list. Most of the time if I have a hike with limited spots, I will have a "closed hike" and you have to add to the waitlist and wait to be moved up.

Chris J.

Steve T
user 6376564
Moraga, CA
Post #: 12
"Two Way Trail"
I just checked my record and there is a "no show" for a meetup outing that I did NOT sign up for.
What gives?
On one Superfab Hiking outing the organizer did not show up. We saw him later that day!
Translation: A person is innocent until proven guilty with Due Process like in our U.S. Constitution.
Getting the facts and understanding the situation helps, and is most cost effective in the long run.
I have led outings for mountaineering/wilderness clubs since 1979 and appreciate the efforts of organizers.
Best, Steve
Chris J.
blackforest78713
Group Organizer
Walnut Creek, CA
Post #: 47
"Two Way Trail"
I just checked my record and there is a "no show" for a meetup outing that I did NOT sign up for.
What gives?
On one Superfab Hiking outing the organizer did not show up. We saw him later that day!
Translation: A person is innocent until proven guilty with Due Process like in our U.S. Constitution.
Getting the facts and understanding the situation helps, and is most cost effective in the long run.
I have led outings for mountaineering/wilderness clubs since 1979 and appreciate the efforts of organizers.
Best, Steve

Hi Steve

a few no snows don't really matter (to me), it's only if it turns into a pattern when I will not add a member from the waitlist to the yes list.
I have no idea how your name got on the list for the now show on my hike, but sometimes if there is a waitlist set on automatic, a member will bail out last minute and the website will add the next one in, that may happen in the middle of the night or just before the hike starts, and that person who got added last minute won't show, in most cases.

Wondering what happened when the org. did not show up on one hike
It happened to me one time, but luckily it was co-organized with another group and that org. took the hike on the road.
My problem was I got stuck in traffic after a big power outage.

Chris J.