Super Fabulicious Hiking and Outdoor Adventure Group Message Board › Ever wonder why organizers quit? read this little note I got today

Ever wonder why organizers quit? read this little note I got today

Chris J.
blackforest78713
Group Organizer
Walnut Creek, CA
Hi

(the message I got is at the end of the e mail)

As most of you know we all volunteer our time organizing meetups, sometimes the organizer ends up spending hours to make sure a slow hiker gets back to the trailhead without getting lost.

Once in a while I ask questions about what hikes members have done, maybe the member who send me this nasty message should perhaps organize a few hundreds hikes and then we can talk again.

I had members totally out of shape, having cramps on the hike, took over 2-3 hrs more to get him back to the trailhead,

I spent 2-3 hrs waiting for members on mountain hikes , while the group long was gone ahead to make sure that member does not get lost.

I had members take short cuts on a hike, without letting anyone know, we searched for them for 2+ hrs in the mountains, found them safe at the trailhead at the end, so much fun it was to finish the hike in the dark, luckily some (me) and others had extra headlamps.

I had to hear comments like I never would have gone on this hike if I had known about...... when I could point to the hike write up and the fact clearly stated and in most cases I even made all answer the a question if they read that note, and once answered they got added to the  hike.

And I can certainly try to rember some more, and there has been times when I was ready to give up the organizing

Below is the nice message from the member (female)

**************************************­***********************

No longer interested in this group...you seem like an asshole. I'm sure I'm in better shape than your fat ass but if it gives you power trip to insist on knowing how good I am, you can go fuck yoyrself...which is all you probably do. Please remove me from your group of rejects. Cheers

**************************************­****************************************­

Chris J.
Scott A.
scotinohiocity
Alameda, CA
Post #: 1
Wow. Certainly harsh words. Probably better off not having her as part of the meet up. Sounds like you do a great job. Will try and make one of your meet ups one day. Certainly sounds like some people do not understand what strenuous hiking actually means. I would much prefer someone like you telling it how it is and trying to warn people off rather than people putting themselves and then others who feel they have to step in to help them in danger and ruining what should be a happy pastime. Thanks for sharing.
P.S. love to hear what the Eagle Peak trip is like heading up to Yosemite for 4 days of backpacking, 1st night will be at Eagle Peak at end of May.
Reba/earthseekinma...
user 12226621
San Francisco, CA
Hi Chris. I'm one of the slow hikers you've helped. And your quiet encouragement made a great difference. It's been a couple years since I hiked with you and your group through cow pies and tall grasses. I think it was Shell Ridge in Walnut Creek, but the memory of that hike is etched in my memory with vibrant clarity.
I didn't finish the hike - opting to double back past the intimidating cows with doleful eyes, and in and out of a subdivision.
You made sure I took a map but first really tried to sensibly get me to stay.
Thanks for that. And thank you for continuing to organize a wide variety of hikes.
Since that time, by the way, I've continued to hike smaller hikes and hope to join you all again in the future.
Thanks for all that you do!
Rebecca D Earthseekinmama
Ming L.
user 64883582
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 8
Hi Chris
I have only hiked once with your group but I do remember you as a patient overall super nice guy with a German accent. Very glad you sent this comment out as it gives me a chance to tell you how much I appreciate people like you. You spent a lot of time organizing AND leading the hikes for free and then you get the real assholes calling you the exact names that they got called from others who really know them (sort of reverse psychology - where they vent on the innocent). BUT ignore it as this how the world is... We think you are a great guy. Ming
MichaelS
user 11220859
El Cerrito, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Chris. You are much appreciated! Unfortunately there are disturbed people out there, and someone in your position of responsibility is most likely to become a focus for them. You're a great organizer and a very nice guy.
Peg
user 11335168
Los Altos, CA
Post #: 4
I'm a life-time hiker (with lots of people in my background with those German accents, btw---per someone's earlier comment) and I also want to chime in to thank you so much for your efforts. One thing with Meetup, it's out there and open to the world like so much so called social media these days so once in awhile you're going to get a real jerk. That sub-human who responded deserves nothing from anyone. Anyone who would even write a message like that has no place in the great opportunity you're offering. I personally want to thank you whole-heartedly for all the good things you bring to your Meetup experience. It's a privilege! The world is better because good prevails over evil. Good equals YOU. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Keep up the great work and "don't let the bastards get you down"! Peg Koerner G.
Pia H.
user 44675322
Berkeley, CA
So I read this message before heading into work this morning and it made me angry and laugh at the ignorance of people at the same time. First off Chris is a thoughtful, thorough, quiet and really nice guy. I am a slow hiker and he has never grumbled at waiting for me at intersections and making sure I knew where the group is going. I am glad he makes sure people are not left behind. With this said he does want to make sure you are up for the strenuous hiking he embarks. I am German and I can tell you we are nice but not flowery people. We will tell you the facts and NOT sugar coat things for you. Deal with that. Hiking can be a dangerous activity and nobody would like someone to get hurt or die. This has happened. Oh the part that made laugh....this person clearly has never met Chris or hiked with him since they have never seen his ass. Oh and the person should use a spell checker when writing. So Chris please don't quit continue to screen people as you see fit and see you on the trail!!!!!!!
Diana W.
user 23700411
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Post #: 3
Sorry to laugh, Chris... but I just received an almost identical email from the boyfriend of a close friend. I was trying to help him quit smoking over the past several years, and he had asked me to put him on my tobacco info list, so I occasionally sent him news on tobacco related issues. Instead of thanking me, after I sent out my last group mailing, I got a response that was nearly word for word like the one you just received! I chose to ignore his "go f$&* yourself" and deleted him from my contacts. Suggesting you do the same... and don't let her get to you! She is obviously an unhappy/disturbed person... and probably smokes! :) Hoping I can join one of your outings someday. Don't quit leading! :)

Hi

(the message I got is at the end of the e mail)

As most of you know we all volunteer our time organizing meetups, sometimes the organizer ends up spending hours to make sure a slow hiker gets back to the trailhead without getting lost.

Once in a while I ask questions about what hikes members have done, maybe the member who send me this nasty message should perhaps organize a few hundreds hikes and then we can talk again.

I had members totally out of shape, having cramps on the hike, took over 2-3 hrs more to get him back to the trailhead,

I spent 2-3 hrs waiting for members on mountain hikes , while the group long was gone ahead to make sure that member does not get lost.

I had members take short cuts on a hike, without letting anyone know, we searched for them for 2+ hrs in the mountains, found them safe at the trailhead at the end, so much fun it was to finish the hike in the dark, luckily some (me) and others had extra headlamps.

I had to hear comments like I never would have gone on this hike if I had known about...... when I could point to the hike write up and the fact clearly stated and in most cases I even made all answer the a question if they read that note, and once answered they got added to the  hike.

And I can certainly try to rember some more, and there has been times when I was ready to give up the organizing

Below is the nice message from the member (female)

**************************************­***********************

No longer interested in this group...you seem like an asshole. I'm sure I'm in better shape than your fat ass but if it gives you power trip to insist on knowing how good I am, you can go fuck yoyrself...which is all you probably do. Please remove me from your group of rejects. Cheers

**************************************­****************************************­

Chris J.

Mike B.
mbrink1111
Folsom, CA
Post #: 69
Hey ol buddy!
Do what I used to do, ban the drama mongers as soon as I got online. Though it does take a bit of restraint not to respond in kind:
"Thank you ______,
I always consider the source, so thank you for the compliment. Your request to be removed from this group has been approved since you are either to lazy or stupid to do it yourself.
Warm Regards"

Everyone:
As a former Organizer of the Sacramento Hiking Meetup group Chris's path and mine crossed a few times. I can personally endorse him as among the VERY best hiking event hosts you'll ever meet. He could be giving seminars on organizing hikes.

Until you've hosted hikes yourself or managed large groups, you have no idea how difficult and stressful it can be. In short, respect the host and always let them know, (personally I prefer cash ;-) ), that you appreciate their efforts.
Christine
user 10119135
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 2
Hi- I also want to offer my support to Chris and all of the meetup hosts--it takes a special person to plan hikes for their own enjoyment or for a few friends on a regular basis. It takes a very special person to frequently lead/host hikes with strangers! Apparently sometimes folks forget their manners...Chris, don't let it get to you!

I will happily join you all for another summer's worth of hiking once the ski resorts close, and/or the backcountry snow melts! :)

Christine