Super Fabulicious Hiking and Outdoor Adventure Group Message Board › Information about NO SHOWs and RSVPs

Information about NO SHOWs and RSVPs

A former member
Post #: 7
Some of you may know that the Organizers now have the capability to take online attendance after a Meetup. If you RSVP Yes and don’t show up, you are marked as absent, which automatically gets you a no show.

All Organizers are able to see your no show record.
See how to check your no show record at the bottom of this email.

Why you do not want to have a no show record:
• First of all, it is very inconsiderate to RSVP and then not show up, especially when others are on the Waitlist who really want to join? This should be a no brainer for any responsible person.

Even if there is not a Waitlist, you should still follow the policy to change your RSVP if your plans change. How many times have Organizers already asked you to do this???

• Second, when there are Waitlists, an Organizer may look at no show records, before deciding who they will or will not move to the YES list.

You should also read Super Fab’s About Page to learn about other rules and policies. If you do not like and respect rules, you should not be in this group. With 4000+ people, you have to have rules, even if you do not agree with them all, just like with anything else in life. http://www.meetup.com...­

How do Organizers choose which members to add from the Waitlist?
Once when I had to go to traffic school, someone asked the teacher, who happened to be a CHP Officer, “If there are 10 people speeding at the same place, at the same time, how do you decide which one to pull over?” His answer was that he can pick whichever one he wants, for whatever reason he wants. It might be the little red sports car; it might be the cute girl or it might be the one who’s leading the pack.

Organizers get to use this same philosophy when choosing people from the Waitlist, and that’s just the way it is. There is no fair or unfair way.

Your chances are better if:
1) You are an Organizer. Most of us will move other Organizer’s to the YES list no matter how full the Meetup is, unless there is a limit that we have no control over.

2) We will also choose members who have joined us before, and are known to be friendly, social and reliable.

3) You have a good attendance record, especially as far as no shows.

4) You have a picture posted that we can actually identify you with, a profile, comments, or anything else that tells us a little bit about yourself. If you don’t have any of these things, we may be hesitant to add you, especially if we are a female Organizer, because there is a bit of a safety factor involved here. This group is very large, so we have to take a few precautions, even if they are minimal.

5) You show responsibility by reading the information that is provided and coming to all Meetups prepared with the right equipment, especially enough water, and on time. How many times have Organizers already asked you to do this???

More about the Organizers:
Organizers spend more time organizing these Meetups than most of you will ever imagine. Not only the leading, and the posting, which takes a lot of time itself, we also spend time scouting places, do extra research for directions and parking info, find alternate routes, or things like that, which you may not even think about, because we all want to do as much as possible to ensure an enjoyable Meetup for everybody.

Organizer’s Responsibility:
• Although we all have very different styles, there is no right or wrong way to lead a hike. It is always at the Organizer’s discretion. The only responsibility we really have is to describe and lead our events to the best of our ability and in a way that works best for us individually. We welcome questions if you are not sure if a hike or other event is the right one for you, or if you don’t know what to bring.
• We are not responsible for your safety OR your enjoyment. However, we will do whatever we can to help you with both these things if the need arises, as I’m sure each of you would do the same.

Member’s Responsibility:
• You should only RSVP Yes if you know you are willing and capable of doing the hike or other events as they are described. If you go faster, or slower than the hike was intended, you affect the Organizer’s plan, which in turn can affect the enjoyment of everyone else who has attended. If you don’t like the way an Organizer leads his/her hike, there are many others to choose from, not only from Super Fab, but many other Meetup Groups as well.

Overall, I think most Super Fab members are very respectful and very appreciative of the time we spend to organize these events for them, which is why we continue doing so. I think that I can speak for most that we do this because we love the outdoors and we enjoy sharing the knowledge we have with other people. And meeting a new friend or 2 on each event isn’t bad either.

There are so many choices now, with all the different groups and the many organizers. No one has to look far to find an enjoyable way to spend a morning, afternoon or evening, almost any day of the week, and it is still and probably always will be the cheapest activity in town. What more can you ask for.

How to check your no show record
From the Super Fab page or any other group page:
• Click on Profile at the top right.
• Click on the Meetup Group tab.
• Under each group, click on View Profile to see your Yes & No RSVPs, and your no show record.
You can also click on View Attendance to see which meetups you did or did not attend.

P.S. I know that getting too many “Reminder emails” is the number one complaint from MANY members from ALL groups, and I definitely agree. This would be a VERY good subject for the message/discussion board. If anyone has any ideas how to alleviate this, let’s hear it. I will start this as a separate thread from the discussion above.
A former member
Post #: 1
See response to Shone's comments a couple messages down the thread.

Hi

Thanks for your note.

I like your policy.

I do agree that Organizers do lot of work and they are MOSTLY not paid for their work.

However, this is NOT a valid excuse to spam with lot of emails.

The Organizers decided to do this without being asked.

Therefore they are expected to follow the normal guidelines.

Nobody asked the Organizers to do such work anyway and thus, acquired rights to spam with lot of emails.

However, I have another compliant against certain organizers.

In certain meetup notices, Organizers did NOT acknowledge the events that were organized by third party, non meetup orgaizers.

This is unethical.

When I noted this, the Organizer got angry and took some actions that I rather not put in writing.

Organizers need to know that Meet ups are business because they do operate like a business.. The Organizers, by agreeing to work, are part of a Business.

Thanks

Shome
A former member
Post #: 8
Sharon - Well said! As an assistant organizer for another hiking group, I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said here.

Heather
A former member
Post #: 9
well said Sharon! Great to see you again on Friday, thanks for organizing.
Heidi :)

A former member
Post #: 10
you do a GREAT job and that took a LOT of time to write so clearly- it should be posted by Meetup.com so EVERYONE at every meet up can read it.

i am sure i have been guilty at some point, as have many not even meaning to be, but this will definitely make me, and hopefully everyone else be more responsible meet up members
thank you sharon
A former member
Post #: 13
Subject: Re: [hiking-163] Information about NO SHOWs and RSVPs

Thank You! :).. funny I usually explain this at the beginning of my hikes- I also explain that after 4 no shows to one of my events I will not add you from the waitlist and may remove you from the 'yes' list.. now I may or maynot do this but it shows that I Always keep track of who didn't show.

Great email.. thanks :).. My biggest beef is that Meetup lets people rsvp to multiple events at the same time. I think this makes it easy to forget that you've rsvped yes on other events aswell.
thanks again,
Cheryl

--- On Mon, 6/8/09, sharona wrote:
Thanks for your comments and reply.

I know what you mean. I get so tired of explaining it over and over. It would be nice to just go to our hikes, and enjoy them without all this "management".

There is this one guy who sticks out to me and I noticed he RSVPd for two events on the same day, and he also had no shows for the last 3 meetups he RSVPd yes for (not all mine). Since I had a waitlist, I removed his RSVP, and he sent an email asking why. I politely told him, and that was that. Yes, it would be nice if the system did not allow them to double RSVP. I think the system is getting better though, and eventually if we all stick together and stay consistent, this will end up being a very fun group. Actually, I really do enjoy it 90% of the time, which is the only reason I spend the time to help improve it :-)

--- On Mon, 6/8/09, C A wrote:
.. o so you actually have 'removed' someone. i wasn't sure if it would ok and how that all would work out. that's good to know. I have a friend that organizes a food meetup and after 4 no shows he will actually remove them from the group. so I like the fact that other organizers from other groups are starting to work on it too. I did have another organizer tell me her trick and she said she uses the "pay pal" option and charges them $2- then when they show up she gives them $1 back.. and I though hummm.. sounded like a good idea to me, tho I'm not sure if I'll try it but good food for thought. I also tend to always explain the $1 charge- that it kind of keeps the 'weirdos' at bay and we as organizers do a lot of work with emails and that sort of thing .. and I find most people understand and find it more exceptable when it's explained that our time is just as valuable as theirs. well good luck with all replies I'm sure you get ;).
:)Cheryl

--- On Mon, 6/8/09, sharona wrote:
Cheryl.....your replies are great. I assume every other Organizer agrees with all these things as well because we've all experienced it. I would love to post your comments on the message board but wanted to check with you first. I can either just cut and paste most of what you wrote, or you can re-word it your own way to include only what you want it to include, but mostly the parts about:

-our time is as valuable as theirs
-the extra time we spend answering emails
-and the annoyance with people RSVPing for multiple Meetups on the same day/time.

By the way, you and your friend are being exceptionally nice by allowing 4 no shows before kicking them out.
I always believe that 3 strikes and you’re out baby!

--- On Mon, 6/8/09, C A wrote:

.. o sure feel free to do what ever you feel would be most appropriate and best with my replies.

A former member
Post #: 16
Shome,

Thanks for starting the thread about the reminder emails. I hope others will follow, but I did have a few things to say regarding the comments you wrote:

1) The Organizers decided to do this without being asked.
hmmm, this comment sounds very unappreciative. I for one am VERY appreciative that Organizers volunteer their time, without being asked, to offer me such a variety of social activities, aren't you?

2) Therefore they are expected to follow the normal guidelines.
Please explain what guidelines you are referring to?

3) Nobody asked the Organizers to do such work anyway and thus, acquired rights to spam with lot of emails. First, see 1) above. Second, although I hate the Reminder emails as well, they are not SPAM. I have contacted Meetup Support to see if there is a way that members can turn these automatic reminders off.

4) In certain meetup notices, Organizers did NOT acknowledge the events that were organized by third party, non meetup organizers. This is unethical. I don't know about being unethical, although, I agree that I don't like when Organizers post 3rd party events, especially if they are not even attending themselves. However, it is their right to do so, and they should absolutely make sure members know that it IS a 3rd party event, and they will not be attending.

5) Organizers need to know that Meet ups are business because they do operate like a business. The Organizers, by agreeing to work, are part of a Business. I don't agree that Meetups are a business. We don't get paid and we don't get Performance Reviews followed by pay raises every year, and we don't claim it on our taxes. Although, it would be nice if we did! This is a social group, that we volunteer our time for, and you volunteered to join....nobody asked you to.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!
Sharon A.

Hi

Thanks for your note.

I like your policy.

I do agree that Organizers do lot of work and they are MOSTLY not paid for their work.

However, this is NOT a valid excuse to spam with lot of emails.

The Organizers decided to do this without being asked.

Therefore they are expected to follow the normal guidelines.

Nobody asked the Organizers to do such work anyway and thus, acquired rights to spam with lot of emails.

However, I have another compliant against certain organizers.

In certain meetup notices, Organizers did NOT acknowledge the events that were organized by third party, non meetup orgaizers.

This is unethical.

When I noted this, the Organizer got angry and took some actions that I rather not put in writing.

Organizers need to know that Meet ups are business because they do operate like a business.. The Organizers, by agreeing to work, are part of a Business.

Thanks

Shome
Kim
Satgal
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
--- On Mon, 6/8/09, K S wrote:
Hi Sharon,
I understand your dilemma because I used to plan group events for friends.
Thanks for your reply!

I'm curious, is there an email notification sent to the member when an organizer changes their RSVP from "wait list" to "yes" or is there a deadline to check the meetup site for "wait list" clearance? When I change a members RSVP to YES, a message pops up that says “A message will be sent to your member telling them of this change.”

Meetup is all about emails, so when a members put themselves on a waitlist, they should be responsible enough to check their emails to get updates. However, I don’t think that last minute changes are fair to them, although this usually happens because other members change their RSVPS to No at the last minute. We should try to come up with a way to fix that, but I’m not sure how to do that right now. Sometimes I send an email to someone on the waitlist telling them space has opened up if they are still interested. If they reply back, then I will move them to Yes. Of course, this is more management for us, but that’s the way it is.

Unfortunately, Meetup doesn't provide a simple/calendar summary for events to which one has RSVP'd (the total listing of events is cumbersome). Also consider that not everyone has 24/7 easy access to email/web to monitor RSVP changes. While I can appreciate the challenges of organizing, it may be helpful to provide 72 hour advanced notice (deadline stated on the event details) for RSVP changes from waitlist to yes. This would provide a time frame for members who are on the waitlist to respond accordingly. No shows are inevitable due to various reasons and the flake factor may be minimized to a certain extent.

For another group I'm in, there is no email notification sent, nor a deadline to check meetup for "wait list" clearance. Hence the member has no idea that their RSVP was changed & may have made alternate plans resulting in an unintentional "no show". I think my comment above explains this. I don’t think it is possible for an Organizer to change your RSVP without you getting notification.

Note: I think that if the member sends the Organizer a note explaining that they did not get enough notice, the Organizer should not mark you as a no show. There is no way to mark you absent without you automatically get a no show, so the records will just look you attended. Also, the Organizer should also understand if you send them an email explaining why you were not able to show up for other reasons as well, but it is per each Organizer’s discretion if they want to do that or not. If a member sends me an email apoligizing for not showing up, by the time I get to my emails, then I will not mark them as a no show. However, once I rate my meetups, then I am done with that one and move on. I do not like to go back to change things, and will only do so for a good reason. Again, more management :-).

I hope that helps!

Regards,
K

A former member
Post #: 17
You're funny Scott! Do you mind if I copy this to the message board. Your comments and concerns are very valid and I appreciate you sharing them, and I'd love to respond on the message board so everyone can see.

Sure, I meant for it to go to the whole list, but it got vetoed because it was sent to the wrong meetup address...I think only Organizers can send messages to the whole list.

And thanks, I'm really sorry if I missed that hike, but I swear I checked this weekend and saw it clear once my plans for said weekend changed. Then, I got that bug-o-gram asking me how the Montara hike went, sigh...

--- On Mon, 6/8/09, Scott L wrote:

I may be guilty of this very thing this past weekend and for that I sincerely apologize...
ie; RSVPing to Cheryl’s hike and not showing up.

But....There are two opposing forces at work here. First, one must RSVP for many of these events weeks to months in advance because they fill up so quickly. And that would be fine, but...yes, I know this is a problem for all of us. The email I sent is my effort in trying to assist in helping this problem, but it definitely won’t solve it. We need more Organizers so more events can be posted to accommodate more members. But also don’t forget, that once you know an Organizer, they may choose you from the Waitlist over others, so the more active you are the better your chances. I’ll always add you to my events because I know you are friendly, social and reliable….and cute too!

Second, the interface to meetup only lets one look 15 events or so into the future at any given time (I know one can page by page work through this list, but yuck). And the list of events is *all* events. I first noticed this when I posted the NAPA trip 2 months in advance. It drove me crazy having to scroll page by page every time I had to edit it, but when I realized I could click on the Upcoming List View tab, and scroll down that way, it didn’t seem so bad, because we don’t really have that many events posted that far ahead.

What I would *really* love is either a list of all upcoming events to which I've RSVPed yes/maybe, or, failing that, a personal calendar as opposed to meetup group calendars. This is such a great idea! It would definitely help people manage their Meetups better, and help them from getting no shows. Anyone reading this should send an email to support@meetup.com suggesting this feature. They are definitely behind the times in their interface, but I know they are always trying to improve the system, and they welcome our comments and suggestions. The changes won’t happen over night, but if enough people write, I bet they will move it ahead on the seniority list.

Ultimately, I take responsibility if I RSVPed yes to this past weekend's Montara hike and then missed it, but yeesh, this interface is doing nothing to help me avoid doing so. And I'd love it if someone can hit me with the right cluehammer and point me to a feature of meetup that does exactly what I just asked about. Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments. This shows you have an interest and respect for this group, the same way us Organizers do.

Scott

A former member
Post #: 2
Kudos to Sharon for very good explanations and a reminder!

Personally, I don't mind members RSVP to multiple events as long as they change to "NO" once they know which event they want to attend. Members can check all meet up events with groups for which they are member by clicking on their name on the top right corner, and they are able to see which events they signed up for or not.

What stresses me most as an organizer is that while I am volunteering my time and energy for enjoyment of hiking in nature for myself and members, members act rude and give me an attitude when I ask them to stop at a junction, complain about weather for which I have no control whatsoever during or after hiking and act inappropriately friendly with wrong vibes.

I am leading a hike in spite of the fact that I do not have a natural sense of direction because being in nature and hiking is good for my physical and emotional well being, and I want to give something back too since I appreciate and enjoy hikes led by others. At the same time, I was being stressed leading hikes because of those behaviors of few members. The majority of them are very nice and I enjoy hiking with them.

As a result, I decided to lead a hike only for those members who are responsible and courteous with clear/positive vibes toward a leader and all others.