Super Fabulicious Hiking and Outdoor Adventure Group Message Board › Looking for other beginner hikers

Looking for other beginner hikers

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi all!

I want to join in on a lot of hikes Benji is planning but they are all slated as "Advanced". Is there anyone out there that wants to work their way up to the advanced level with me? We can take turns planning the routes for the next few months. I have a great Bay Area hiking book that lists the hikes by difficulty level. We could ease in to the advanced level this way while getting to know each other. Let me know if you're interested!

Rebecca
A former member
Post #: 1
count me in! I'm sorta beginning again, a bit out of shape, but can still shop allll day long without dropping so I'm good to go! Just been here in Calif for a coupla years and don't know the area, and need hiking buds.
WW
A former member
Hi all!

I want to join in on a lot of hikes Benji is planning but they are all slated as "Advanced". Is there anyone out there that wants to work their way up to the advanced level with me? We can take turns planning the routes for the next few months. I have a great Bay Area hiking book that lists the hikes by difficulty level. We could ease in to the advanced level this way while getting to know each other. Let me know if you're interested!

Rebecca

We never drop anyone on the hikes Rebecca, so don't let the "Advanced" tag fool ya'!
Anna
user 11384392
San Mateo, CA
Hi Rebecca,

Would love to join you in the beginners' league also. "Advance" and "strenuous" do sound very intimidating for us beginners.

Anna
A former member
I haven't done any trips with this group yet but I'd be down for some beginner hikes or advanced hikes or in between. I tend to alternate between casual photo trips and strenuous/fast climbs and descents, but enjoy it all. Since I'm not familiar with the organizing or group culture I'd prefer if someone familiar with the group did initial planning, or a beginner/intermediate hike was planned with more seasoned members of the group. I'm curious what questions others have regarding the hikes... gear, pace, or concerned with distance and or elevation gain, scrambles, etc.
Chris J.
blackforest78713
Group Organizer
Walnut Creek, CA
Post #: 28
Hi all!

Rebecca

We never drop anyone on the hikes Rebecca, so don't let the "Advanced" tag fool ya'!

Hi All

most of the Advanced hikes are organized by me lately(Chris J) and I wish we would have one ore more AO who would like to post shorter hikes.

I beg to differ on the comment " so don't let the "Advanced" tag fool ya'"
Please respect this rating, start with shorter hikes and work your way up.

I have organized hikes for almost 3 years now and upwards of 130 hikes (about 100 with this group), and I belive I had very little problems due to the fact that I clearly label the hikes as advanced, interm. etc.

For the hikes above 16 miles I use the "closed hike system" a lot, meaning that you have to add to the waitlist, answer some question and then I would decide if I move you from the waitlist to the "yes" list.

Most of the issues I had was with guests, who had no idea about the hike, and sometimes had no hiking experience.

One example:

One guest was taken on a 13 mile hike to Alalmere Falls, and had really bad leg cramps just beyond the half way mark, I found out later on he had not hiked more than 2 miles in the last 10 years or ever.

It was no fun to bring him back to the parking lot, with lots of breaks, pain killers, water, food etc, took us over 4hrs for about 5 miles,
Everybody left exept, his friend and poor hiker who carpooled with me.

If I post the hike you can always send me an e-mail and ask questions if you are not sure about the hike

It is true that we (or I) don't leave anyone behind, but if I would consistently be lagging behind ( let's say by an hour) the group because I have to wait for hikers in over their head, I would give up organizing hikes pretty quickly.
(this is just me and does not reflect other organizers in this group, Chris J.)

Organizing these hikes take a bit of work, from research, getting permits at time, time to write it up, answer questions, printing, copying maps, highlighting the route. etc.

Chris J.

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi all!

Rebecca

Hi All

most of the Advanced hikes are organized by me lately(Chris J) and I wish we would have one ore more AO who would like to post shorter hikes.

I have organized hikes for almost 3 years now and upwards of 130 hikes (about 100 with this group), and I belive I had very little problems due to the fact that I clearly label the hikes as advanced, interm. etc.

For the hikes above 16 miles I use the "closed hike system" a lot, meaning that you have to add to the waitlist, answer some question and then I would decide if I move you from the waitlist to the "yes" list.

Most of the issues I had was with guests, who had no idea about the hike, and sometimes had no hiking experience.

One example:

One guest was taken on a 13 mile hike to Alalmere Falls, and had really bad leg cramps just beyond the half way mark, I found out later on he had not hiked more than 2 miles in the last 10 years or ever.

It was no fun to bring him back to the parking lot, with lots of breaks, pain killers, water, food etc, took us over 4hrs for about 5 miles,

If I post the hike you can always send me an e-mail and ask questions if you are not sure about the hike

It is true that we (or I) don't leave anyone behind, but if I would consistently be lagging behind ( let's say by an hour) the group because I have to wait for hikers in over their head, I would give up organizing hikes pretty quickly.

Organizing these hikes take a bit of work, from research, getting permits at time, time to write it up, answer questions, printing, copying maps, highlighting the route. etc.

Chris J.

I would love to organize some shorter hikes, but I don't dirve. This leads to a big hassle. Is there anyone out there willing to take this on form time to time? Rebecca

A former member
I'm a beginner too. Please count me in.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi all!

Rebecca

Hi All

One example:

Chris J.

My apologies Chris, I didn't realize the past injury issue.
Chris J.
blackforest78713
Group Organizer
Walnut Creek, CA
Post #: 29
Hey David

No problem, just needed to make sure about the difficulty ratings for the hikes, I want to keep the hikes fun for all.
smile
Chris J