**SEE BELOW FOR LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THIS SERIES & PAST PRESENTERS **
EXPERTS TALK SERIES – JULY THRU DECEMBER 2013
“Greener Buildings, Energy Efficiency & Water Conservation
AUGUST EVENT TOPIC – ENERGY EFFICIENCY FOR EXISTING BUILDINGS
Uptown Venue Culinary Conference Center –
161 Newkirk Street, 1 Block from Journal Square PATH
(we've begun to alternate venues so make sure you check event locations)
TUESDAY AUGUST 6TH AGENDA
- Presentation with Q&A
- Hospitality Break
- Community Discussion
FEATURED SPEAKERS -
DAN RIGGLE & GLENN KWEDERIS, ENERGY MANAGEMENT SPECIALISTS
LOCAL MUNICIPAL & NEIGHBORHOOD PROJECTS / SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC
Complexity made simple – ish !
RSVP / Registration Required
Limited to 25 Participants
$10 / $5
Globally, buildings account for over 40% of global energy use, and over 75% of electricity use. To reduce environmental impact, energy efficiency must be a central strategy for Jersey City.
In July, our guest Jorge Mastropietro Architect / Developer, JMAPC principal, focused on how Jersey City can “Build Green”, i.e., new construction opportunities using LID (low impact development ) strategies, including integration of energy efficiency designs. On August 6, Sustainable Jersey City will address energy efficiency in existing buildings, focusing on two main obstacles: 1) Visibility – How can we identify the best opportunities to improve energy efficiency? 2) Funding –What incentives are available to fund energy efficiency upgrades? Schneider Electric will lead an interactive discussion including:
- Why Energy Efficiency matters for Jersey City. Energy efficiency is more than just saving money – it creates jobs, upgrades facilities, improves indoor comfort, and conserves our natural resources.
- PlaNYC: What can Jersey City learn? New York City has implemented broad-reaching policy measures to accomplish the goal of reducing energy consumption by 30% by 2017. How could some of these practices be applied in Jersey City to improve sustainability?
- Demonstration Project: Hamilton Square Submetering. Hear how this Jersey City condominium complex improved energy visibility and benefited both the owner and the tenants.
- Walking the talk. What steps can businesses, residents, and City officials take to identify energy efficiency initiatives? What financial incentives are available?
Dan Riggle works with schools, municipalities, and universities to achieve needed facility upgrades funded through guaranteed energy savings. Schneider Electric has provided these sole-source, budget-neutral solutions to over 100 municipalities across the nation. As a citizen of Jersey City and member of SJC’s Green Buildings Team, Dan is passionate about leveraging his expertise to promote energy efficiency within our City. [masked]
Glenn Kwederis manages sales and implementation of power monitoring systems in the NY and NJ region, including major universities, Fortune 500 companies, and municipalities. Schneider Electric’s Power Monitoring Systems lead the industry in real-time access to energy information to support sustainability planning and cost reduction programs.
Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management. We have over 140,000 employees in over 120 countries, dedicated to making energy safe, reliable, efficient, productive, and green. Schneider Electric offers facility improvement and energy efficiency solutions, integrated renewable energy projects, and countless products and services to improve energy efficiency in all types of buildings. http://www.schneider-electric.com
SERIES LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT
WE'RE GEARING UP !!
July - December 2013
EXPERTS TALK SERIES -
"Greener Buildings, Energy Efficiency &
Water Conservation For Neighborhoods"
RSVP / Registration Required
Limited to 25 Participants
$10 / $5
New Venue Added For Downtown Meetings - Indiegrove, 1 block from the Grove St. PATH
Uptown Meetings - Culinary Conference Center, 1 block from the Journal Sq PATH
SJC is transitioning its Monthly Small Work Group Team Meetings to a
new Monthly Meeting format starting with our July 2nd meeting.
2 Quick Announcements
- These events will now include a learning opportunity for the community as we host green industry colleagues and some of our education partners to share perspectives on how to make Jersey City a more sustainable place to live and work. It will also include a hospitality component where we will highlight local food establishments and their commitment to healthy food options for our community, offering a tasting menu and drinks.
- We will continue to host these events on the 1st Tuesday of EVERY month and now, we will be alternating our Monthly Meeting venues between the Indiegrove Coworking Space offices down- town, a short walk from the Grove St. PATH, and the Culinary Conference Center @ Hudson County Community College, which is a short walk from the Journal Square PATH.
- July, September, November's Monthly Meetings will be at Indiegrove and SJC thanks them for coming on board as our newest sponsor.
- August, October, December Monthly Meetings will be held at the Culinary Conference Center.
- Downtown food hospitality provided by Golden Grille Fusion Churrascurria with the Culinary Conference Center providing food hospitality uptown.
TUESDAY JULY 2nd
Jorge Mastropietro, Architect/Developer, JMPCA Principal
Bright Street in downtown JC is home to two new green residential development projects by Jorge Mastropietro. Green Roof Designer, Greensulate is a partner on the project.
Jorge Mastropietro founded Mastropietro & Partners in Buenos Aires in 1991 as an architectural studio and workshop. The studio primarily concentrates on designing many single and multi-family homes in Argentina. In 1995, the Structural Engineer Division was created by Marcelo Mastropietro. The addition of the Structural Engineer Division led to more opportunities for work in other building types. After 5 years of working with Rafael Vinoly high profile international projects, Jorge Mastropietro founded Jorge Mastropietro Atelier in New York City focusing on the modern needs of contemporary architecture in 2007.
Jorge Mastropietro Atelier and Mastropietro & Partners are fundamentally in search of solutions that are integral, aesthetic, functional, rational, and sustainable. The firm works in a broad array of architectural needs, including environmental architecture, urban design, landscaping, interior design, and structure engineering consultation. They are involved in the all phases of the architectural process, from idea conception and schematic design through construction documentation.
Personal note from Jorge -
The urban development of cities proceeds at an extremely accelerated pace and in the context of full block projects, urban infill projects are highly important to the underlying character of the city. In jersey City, most of the projects are new construction (infill projects) or renovation, restoration, preservation or rehabilitation of exisitng strucutre. This gives us the unique oportunity to be green.
Small urban infill projects bring diversity, contrast, and scale to our city environments. As micro-developers, designers and builders, the challenge begins with the small lot, busy streets, zero setbacks from property lines and a lack of space for construction storage and scaffolding. By combining these challenges, the development and construction are integrated into our architecture.
Our projects seek to raise the level of building quality and potentially to become a benchmark for other projects in the surrounding area. Its commitment to high-quality design, spatial innovation, and material refinement will provide Jersey City with a successful example of how increased housing density can be achieved while at the same time, improving the quality of the surrounding city fabric.
NEW TO SJC ? Can't make our Monthly Meetings ?
Join Us at the next SJC Green Drinks + ART event -
EVERY month, 3rd Thursday eve 6-9pm, we have a networking event at
the Culinary Conference Center, a short walk from the Journal Square PATH.
~ Food, Entertainment, Info-sharing ! ~