addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sustainable Living Network - Madison Area Message Board › Sierra Club's festival waste reduction

Sierra Club's festival waste reduction

Tracey Z.
healthconnector
Madison, WI
Post #: 63
When I attended the EnAct open house I met a gentleman, Don Ferber. Don is very involved with the Sierra Club and they are working on a festival waste reduction plan for Madison. I've encouraged Don to join this MeetUp group as I thought many of you would be interested in this topic. Here is what Don shared with me:

"We are proceeding to work on festival waste reduction, and at the moment it appears that the Atwood Summerfest on July 28 and 29 is our best opportunity for a prototype project this year. We are in discussion with the Goodman Community Center, neighborhood organizations, and potential compost recipients regarding options for this event. We may also have the support of students from a UW Capstone course on waste management, but we hope we can do something significant at this event.

We still are also having our Recycling Away from Home efforts (http://www.madisonrah...­) at several other east side Madison events this summer - Waterfront Festival, June 9 and 10, Orton Park Festival, August 24 - 26, and the Willy St Fair, September 15 and 16, and certainly can use help at those events if people are interested. We not only want to do the recycling, but also are looking at having surveys and petitions at these (as well as other events) to build community support for more sustainable festivals elsewhere."

Let me know if you'd like to have Don's email address.

Have a great day!
Tracey
Todd F.
user 17897911
Mount Horeb, WI
Post #: 3
Thanks Tracey, and thanks for reaching out to Don to join. What sort of thing are they planning to do at the Summerfest? Is it raising awareness or collecting recycling or something else?