Sydney Mobile Development Meetup Group Message Board › Looking for ideas and suggestions for the group!

Looking for ideas and suggestions for the group!

A former member
Hello all,

We had our first meeting last week although it was a rather slight affair! But still, with the two others that turned up, we had a good old chat and shared some great ideas for what we should be doing with the group.

I'm looking for more suggestions and ideas of what you would like to get involved with, what days and times work best for you and how you'd like to get involved.

On the inaugural meetup, the idea of a hack night was suggested and I'm very keen to organise this sometime. I'd also like to arrange a meeting where a few people can present what they're working on in mobile development or an area of mobile development they're interested in and would like to share with the rest of us.

While I've had little experience of public speaking and presenting, I'd be quite happy to talk about my involvement in mobile development, coming from a web development background and so if we can get a few others then that might make an interesting evening!

Anyway - I'd definitely welcome any discussion or suggestions on where to go with the group. We have 44 members as of this evening and I'd like to think that would be enough for an irregular meetup!

Email me or open a thread on the discussion forum with your ideas!

Cheers!

Simon V.
user 14498132
Sydney, AU
Post #: 2
It would probably be a good idea to start a couple of polls to get an idea of what the other members of the group prefer when it comes to organising a meetup. We should find out what day of the week people are available. What kind of venue they prefer. A pub might not be the best venue, but that doesn't mean we can't go to a pub afterwards. biggrin And probably how often we should meet would be useful. Once we know everybody's preferences we can schedule regular meetups.

I only joined the group a few days before the first meetup and couldn't make it. But I think a regularly scheduled meetup would make it easier for people to attend. I'd personally prefer a fortnightly meetup, and maybe the hack nights could be organised during the meet itself. Don't be discouraged by the low initial turnout. It'll probably take a couple of meets to build a core group of regulars.

Cheers,
Simon
John A.
user 22388911
Sydney, AU
Post #: 1
Hi all,

I just joined your illustrious group, and see you're still at the fledgling stage of setting it up...

Perhaps I could suggest a monthly meeting in a pub. That would be informal enough to let people mingle, get to know each other and get the community going. and from that you could spring-board more formal, or technical events, like the hack day idea smile.

Cameron W.
user 20393071
Sydney, AU
Post #: 1
Hi Guys,

What I think would be a great place to start that would really attract some involvement would be a Pitch Session with a difference. There is too many dev guys pitching to VC's these days where they simply want equity for no real value in the business. What is needed is a platform where entrepreneurs get to pitch to dev people and teams.

The entrepreneurs usually have a great idea and business contacts coupled with sales ability to get the idea off the ground, what they don't have in many cases is a dev team. This way dev teams can form to support and idea and take an equity stake in the project in return for dev services. This in essence will move the project to a much further stage with a Alpha/beta version and with actual revenue generation, yes customers. And that is when funding can begin on a much more level playing field.

If you think this has potential let me know and I can drive this further?

I am in fact one of those with great project ideas.

Cameron