The Twin Cities Disc Golf Meetup Message Board Meetup Ideas › Highbridge overnight trip

Highbridge overnight trip

Maximillian Ayco
user 9285078
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 13
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I've heard good things about this place and am interested in taking a weekend jaunt to play a few rounds in September. Ideally, I'd like to leave on a Friday afternoon, stay all day Saturday and return on Sunday.

Would anyone else be interested in doing this? The camping is fairly cheap, and I could fit at least 3 others in my car for the ride over there. Other than the first two weekends of September, I would be able to do this any weekend. If you'd be interested, post which weekends would work and I'll schedule a meetup if we get some interested peeps.
Robert
rseliski
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 22
Course Info:
http://www.playdg.com...­

I might be interested... I just don't know my schedule till school starts crying
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 45
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I had mentioned this the other night as Kaitlyn and I were trying to plan a trip in September. Unfortunately, it seems that we can't get the time off work. We are now thinking about going the 3rd or 4th week of October.
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 46
Also, there are two other courses not listed on Playdg.com. "The Bear" is the newest course and had the front 9 playable when we were there a couple months ago.

http://www.highbridge...­
Maximillian Ayco
user 9285078
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 14
Okeechobee. I'm going to throw up the trip for the last weekend of the September since it seems like there is some interest. Jonathan, let me know the exact weekend of your October trip and I can throw that one up as well, if you'd like.
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 86
Yay!!!!! DG and camping!!!
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 47
Some things to know:

* There is a wash house with showers and toilets if you want to make the walk/drive back out of the camping area - bring your own toilet paper, and sandals are recommended for showering (concrete floors). There are outhouses in the camping area. The wash house also has running water. I would suggest bringing a larger size jug so you don't have to make so many trips up there for water.

* If you don't like roughing it, you can stay in the Honka House right on the grounds of the main five courses! Check the website for details. It's set up like a very nice hostel - several areas with their own kitchenettes, and rooms with many beds (bunk beds and/or air mattresses on the floor). It's a cool place to chill with a giant wrap around deck, with a lookout deck adjacent to the topmost room (which is the closest thing to a "single" room with only one bed in it).

* Find a site when you arrive and set up camp right away. You pay at the clubhouse, which is on the grounds of the main courses - not at the campgrounds.

The owner is usually on the grounds, and will talk your ear off, but he's a really nice guy.

* Saturday nights they light a GIANT bonfire on the 9-hole course at the campsite. You can play disc golf basically all night on the short course, but I would suggest throwing at least one round in daylight so you kind of know the holes.

* When you get close to Highbridge, you should note that WI-13 hits CR-C in TWO places. You will want to turn left onto CR-C the SECOND time you see a sign for it to avoid confusing the directions you will get from Mapquest, et al. Mile Rd. will then be a RIGHT turn as stated.

* You might want to buy disc lights before going. You can get them 3 for $10 at Highbridge, but you have to find John to open the pro shop (actually, he dropped them off at our campsite with the firewood) and he sells a lot on weekends. Also, you'll probably want to designate a midrange or putter to use and possibly lose if your light falls off.

* Don't forget your (deet-free, aerosol-free, all natural?) bug repellant! Sunscreen is recommended. A water bottle is NECESSARY. Highbridge Gold is over 3 miles of walking.

* Highbridge is a really great time, and I hope Kaitlyn and I make it out again in October. The more of you that can join us, the better!
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 48
About the courses:

Chestnut Grove (on the campgrounds) - super short, but super fun! the holes seriously progress through the different shots you should have in your bag, so it's also great for beginners or practice! This course is always free to play.

Highbridge Gold - as mentioned above, it's over 3 miles of disc golf. In the sun, this course will wear you down big-time. The fairways are very nicely mowed, but some of the rough leaves your disc unrecoverable. Not for the weak-hearted at all. I lost two discs, and honestly wasn't having much fun on this course after the front 9. Beginners (and frankly, a lot of intermediates) should not bother with this course IMO.

Blueberry Hill - the first course at Highbridge, and I think the best! Kaitlyn and I are most excited to get back and play this one. It's not quite as well kept as the Gold course, but the shots are interesting, the length is manageable but challenging, and it's just a nice course in general. A little difficult to determine some of the pin locations on this one, so you might have to scout forward a bit to avoid under or over throwing.

The Bear - newest course. The front 9 was finished when we went; it should be complete now. We didn't get to play this one.

Granite Ridge - looks exciting, unfortunately we didn't have time to play this one either.

Woodland Greens - pretty gnarly, literally. It's heavily wooded, and you need to watch your step. It's pretty rough, with a lot of roots, rocks, stumps, etc. littering the fairways. It will test your tunnel and hyzer/anhyzer approach shots in ways few courses do. Most holes are under 250', but you'll be happy if you can lay it up for an easy putt on most of them.
A former member
Post #: 17
1. I loved Granite Ridge.

2. If you are going in October, be sure to check with me on when the Upper Midwest Collegiate Disc Golf Club has it's Oktober Fest. We take over the Honka House and the lodging at Chestnut Grove... and when I say we I mean 40-50 college kids that like to party and try to play disc golf. It's slightly insane and if you aren't up for it you might want to avoid that weekend!
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 59
We're going October 23-25th. It's been on the calendar for a couple weeks now.

Let me know what weekend your beer bash is.