The Twin Cities Disc Golf Meetup Message Board General Discussion › TC DG Meetup 2009 Bag Tag Challenge!

TC DG Meetup 2009 Bag Tag Challenge!

Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 60
I just finished our first batch of Bag Tags for the waning 2009 season!

Here are the details and guidelines for this year's challenge.

What?

Our 2009 Bag Tags are an optional, competitive, year-long (that is, through the calendar year) event that you may choose to participate in.

Each member who participates will receive a Bag Tag with a number on it. The lower the number, the better the tag (1 = 1st, 10 = 10th, etc.). While playing at a meetup event, you may challenge another member who has a lower Tag number. If you win the round/match/game your reward will be the lower numbered Tag, while the loser receives your higher numbered tag in return.

Why?

It is fun. It is also a structured, yet casual way to introduce a slightly more competitive edge to our gatherings for those who enjoy that side of disc golf. We also hope that this will facilitate the active mingling of our members of all skill levels.

This is the test run for 2010. If feedback is positive, we may order professionally made mini-markers, leather tags, etc. for next year. We will also work the kinks out of the rules and structure to ensure a smooth challenge next year!

Who?

Anyone who has attended 3 meetups in recent months, or more than 10 meetups this year. This is a guideline, and ultimately at the discretion of the Organizers.

Our intent is to avoid bag tags disappearing from the group when new members do not return, or people showing up to claim top tags and never coming back. There is nothing to win here, and nothing to prove. If you're not in it for fun & good-natured competition, then you should find a different event to participate in.

How Much?

This event is free, and the tags will be provided at no cost. You may need to provide your own key rings, or other fasteners to hook them onto your bag. If I have time, I'll check Ax-Man for reasonably priced rings.
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 61
These rules and guidelines are all subject to change. We're fine-tuning things as we go to provide the best experience possible.

Challenging:

You may challenge other players in your group at any meetup. You may score better than a lower tag in another group, but if you didn't play the round with them, it doesn't count.

There may be multiple challenges involved in any group, match, or round.

Generally, the challenge will be stroke play for one round, on the given course. For 9-hole courses, the defending tag has the option of making it a combined score for two rounds of 9 (total of 18 holes).

If you really don't feel like playing a challenge, or do not want to stay for the round, that's fine.

EXCEPTION If you have one of the top 5 tags and you are playing the round, you must accept challenges. If you have defended your tag for at least 27 holes on any given day, you may decline further challenges.

You may only challenge a top 5 tag once per day, per course.

Games of HORSE, POINTS, CTP, etc. are fine for challenges if all parties agree on the rules, & duration. Top 5 tags may turn these challenges down.

You must participate in a challenge, if possible, the first day you receive your bag tag.

Disputes:

If your group cannot settle a dispute, then ask an Organizer. Any serious arguments will result in the challenge being called off at the Organizers' discretion (Wolf, event Organizer, other Organizers, in that chain of command). This is a friendly competition and not the main purpose of our Meetup group.

You should be able settle all these matters amongst yourselves in a friendly manner.
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 62
Rules:

Don't be a jerk.

Challenges will be treated as tournament play, but more importantly, they will be conducted in the spirit of the game.

Things that add a stroke to your score:
-Throwing your disc from a lie.
-Your disc landing in water, which results in a drop or rethrow.
-Your disc landing OB.
-Missing a posted mando.

Things that DO NOT add a stroke to your score (for our Bag Tag Challenge):
-Approximating a lie because your disc landed in a tree.
-Losing your disc, but not in water/OB (just rethrow).
-Taking longer than 30 seconds to throw.
-Taking longer than 3 minutes to find a disc.

Roads & parking lots are generally considered OB, unless the hole is designed to throw directly over them and it is not marked as OB.

If a course has multiple tees or multiple pin locations, you should decide which to play before teeing off. If you choose to decide on a hole-by-hole basis, the challenger will have final say.

You should create a valid lie for your shots. You can either throw from behind the disc you just threw, or use a mini-marker, second disc, bag, etc. to mark your lie. One of your feet should disect the center of your lie as seen from the basket when throwing (you can just ask one of us at a meetup), and your body should be behind your lie until you release the disc.

No falling putts inside 10m (about 33 feet). If you are putting within "the circle", you should not move past your lie. Again, if you have questions about this, please ask.

Anything I haven't covered or forgot will probably surface in time. Feel free to talk to me at a meetup, post here in this forum, or email me directly if you have any more questions!
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 90
Awesome! I can't wait :)
Kevin H.
Kevin_Honl
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
How will tags be initially be handed out? First come first served, or random pick?
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 64
You will ask for one, and we will hand you one. =)

The tag you start with will depend on a few uninteresting and unscientific factors. Mainly whatever tag the Organizer has with him/her. There will be some amount of 'first in line' involved as we'll want to get the lower tags into circulation, but different organizers will have an assortment of numbers, not a sequential range.

Again, the tag you start with doesn't really matter if you intend to actively attend and participate in challenges. Tags change hands, and you have ample opportunity to acquire or reacquire a lower tag number.
Maximillian A.
user 9285078
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 45
Two bag tag related questions:

1) Do we want to use last years for the coming season or deal with making new ones? I'd be happy to put them together this time if we decide to go with new ones.

2) Anyone know when/how to obtain the leather charity tags that some folks had last year, but for this year? I'd be interested in shelling out five bucks for charity and the satisfaction of knowing that I'm the 783rd (I'm approximating) best Disc Golfer in the state of Minnesota who paid a few bucks for a tag.

Lastly, whether or not we use new tags, we should use one of the first few meetups as a reset day for the tags. So... if we're switching the tags I'll bring a bunch on the first weekend, and if we're not everyone should bring the tags that they have so we can have a day or two of exciting tag-swappin'!
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 79
1) I think we should make new ones. Mainly because we don't know how many of last year's will still be around.

I know we had talked about ordering some custom minis or something along those lines, but I don't think we have enough people in the pool to make it financially feasible. If you'd like to come up with something for this year, I'd appreciate it Max.

2) I think you can buy them from GGGT.

I also agree that we should get the tags out as soon as possible. That way we can hand them out in sequential order and trust that there's enough time to mix up the lot all year.

I would estimate that you'll need 15 tags or so. I think we used 10-12 out of the 15 I had ready last year. I'm guessing with new members we'll have 15 or so involved by summer.

Keep us posted!
Kevin H.
Kevin_Honl
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 4
Max if you are talking about the MFA bag tags, I know that Fairway Flyerz has them for sale.
As for the bag tags for 2010 maybe we should get a rough count fir how many would be interested in participating in the bag tag challange to know how many to make. I would like to partake in the challange. Also what if we were to ask that people add a custom clip method to the tags that would stay with the tag to make tag changes easier( like dodger, tag #6 I think).
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 80
Jonathan,Wolf,Chris,Max,Kevin,Grimace,Re­ggie,Jessica,Tina

That's the 9 I remember having tags last year. Give or take, that's the maximum amount of tags I would estimate we will need by Max's marathon weekend, especially given the "3 meetup rule" which will exclude several new members who may have joined over the winter.

15 or 20 tags would be a safe number and should carry us at least until the fall.

Customizing your tag should remain optional. Given the nature of the sport and our regulars, I believe many people will add their own flair to a tag. I don't think we need to stress the point. Ultimately it is about involvement with the group, the level of which should be left up to each member.