The Twin Cities Disc Golf Meetup Message Board Gear › Z Wasp OR suggestions for a more overstable midrange that will still turn over

Z Wasp OR suggestions for a more overstable midrange that will still turn over

Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 116
This is mainly for Reggie, but anyone can chime in. Can you throw turnovers with a Wasp or is it too overstable?

If I can get it to turn a good amount, I might have to get over my fear of beaded discs. Think about shots on (new) #12, and #15 at North Valley; #1, #2, #6, and #8 at Garlough; #6, and #8 at Hansen...

Would you ever crank a Wasp hard to throw those lines (if you were right-handed, of course)?

I probably just need to get out an practice with my mids and putters more, but it sucks not being able to rely on my Buzzzes for all those shots.
A former member
Post #: 9
This is mainly for Reggie, but anyone can chime in. Can you throw turnovers with a Wasp or is it too overstable?

If I can get it to turn a good amount, I might have to get over my fear of beaded discs. Think about shots on (new) #12, and #15 at North Valley; #1, #2, #6, and #8 at Garlough; #6, and #8 at Hansen...

Would you ever crank a Wasp hard to throw those lines (if you were right-handed, of course)?

I probably just need to get out an practice with my mids and putters more, but it sucks not being able to rely on my Buzzzes for all those shots.

Dude, I kill with overhand and thumbies. I use my t-bone and can park it anywhere even in wind. If its calm I use my #1 driver. Not the most overstable but for midrange it works GREAT! 15 at bryant I can park it within 5 feet without straining myself. Also, read my post above. Had some theft at bryant and need to get the word out. Is there a better way to post that message on my thread? perhaps in discussions or something? Anyways, we'll get together soon and I'll let you try out my Tommiechopper/thumbie selection (There are 4-5 I am really effective with). I am free after 11am tomorrow and wouldnt mind hitting up something massive if you are game! :) 651.303.8360
Douglas
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 117
I'm gonna be out of town this weekend.

To be clear, I was asking about turnover shots that you can throw basically flat and have it take a nice slow turn to the right (right-hand, back-hand). I usually throw Buzzzes for this shot, but lately I've been turning them too much and they flip all the way over and hit the ground.
Reggie
user 10084290
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 7
Z Wasps are definitely too stable for turnovers. I'd honestly say that the Buzzz is about as stable as you should go for that shot. Assuming that your Buzzz isn't super beat in and is the correct weight (remember that midranges generally have a larger diameter than drivers/putters so they should be a little heavier), your best fix is practice. Since you definitely don't produce too much power for a Buzzz (nobody does... the best players in the world throw them), I think the problem probably has to do with some off-axis torque, some bad wrist rolling/turning, or something of that nature. As much as we joked around about it, my guess is that it has to do with the fact that you are starting to throw some more stable discs like the Zone. Everyone who gets good enough hits that stage where they begin to cherish overstable plastic. I've noticed that it is pretty common for players, when they first hit that stage, to temporarily develop bad habits, probably from trying to force those overstable discs down difficult lines. I, for one, can say that I definitely fell victim to this. If I were you, I'd pull out some very understable discs (drivers, midranges, and putters), go out to a field, and try to throw those discs so they fly straight or even fade without taking off a lot of power. You could also try playing a couple putter-only rounds with a putter that isn't very overstable. Both of these things should help clean up your release and get you used to not flipping your wrist so much. If you can bomb an understable midrange/putter without it fluttering or turning into the ground, then you know you're doing something right.
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 120
Yeah, I know that I roll my wrist over pretty badly. Beto and I went over it at the tail-end of my last lesson, but it was literally the LAST thing we did and I haven't gotten out to practice it.

The confusing thing is that I have little problem throwing those shots at Garlough (especially holes 1 & 2). I don't know if it's because of the larger left to right space, or if I'm really used to the way I throw those shots. Anytime I try these turnovers (or straight shots with a Buzzz for that matter) at other courses they just turn and burn.

The Buzzzes I'm throwing are all 177+. They're not too beat, in fact, they're right around the sweet spot for this shot - I got them less than 2 months ago.
Reggie
user 10084290
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 8
My guess is that you've thrown those throws so many times and feel so confident that you sort of revert back to your old form off of muscle memory. It's almost like your body doesn't think of them as regular turnover shots, but rather as "hole 1 at Garlough" shots, etc.
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 111
My guess is that you've thrown those throws so many times and feel so confident that you sort of revert back to your old form off of muscle memory. It's almost like your body doesn't think of them as regular turnover shots, but rather as "hole 1 at Garlough" shots, etc.

I completely agree with the Regmiester.

That being said, I also adhere to my belief that people should use whatever discs work for them. If you know that you can put your 173 wraith within birdie at hole 1 of Bassett then go for it.

All that being said, take my Oracle for a few
Rounds and see how you like it
Robin S.
user 12617898
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
I've got a Z MRV, which is just the same as a Wasp. It's an old disc and they changed the name and slightly modified the Z plastic since then.

Anyway, I have it in my bag for RHBH hyzer approaches, nothing else. It's super predictable that way, although I have realized I can use my ESP Zone and get similar distance with even more predictability due to its more rounded edge. That said, I might have to try turning it over the MRV once just to try it.

Otherwise, have you tried a Meteor? That's what I use for anhyzer approaches and some anhyzer drives, or just shots I don't want to hyzer out too much at the end. I've got an ESP one, but if they make an X version, it'd probably roll over quite nicely like a Stratus does.

I find the more beat up these understable discs get, the more I have to just 'wing-down' and let er rip to keep them from anhyzering too much if I want a nice, long straight glide at the end.

I'm not sure what the holes you mention are like, but hope this helps!

Cheers!

Robin
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 112
Thanks Robin. I'm sure Hoot will love the tip o' the hat to the Zone
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 121
Woo! Yeah! The Zone is full of win. =) I just picked up a new one the other day.