addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

TCM Classic Movie Fan Club - LOS ANGELES Message Board › Rare one-night-only REBEKAH DEL RIO show SUN. 11/11 at the art deco CICADA R

Rare one-night-only REBEKAH DEL RIO show SUN. 11/11 at the art deco CICADA RESTAURANT in Downtown L.A.

Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA

Since the David Lynch film MULHOLLAND DRIVE is more in the cult than the classic category, I did not want to dilute the theme of our Meetup group and add this as a regular listed event. HOWEVER, I am suspecting that most of you have seen this movie and likely remember the showstopping scene when Rebekah Del Rio sang her haunting rendition of the song "Llorando" (the Spanish version of the Roy Orbison song "Crying").  In any case, I wanted to bring to your attention the fact that she is performing in a very rare local concert with a big band one week from Sunday at the breathtaking art deco Cicada club in downtown L.A. and I have reserved a table of 6 for dinner (though you can instead just pay the $11 cover fee and stand or find limited individual scattered non-dining table seating and still enjoy the show). This show is NOT the Maxwell DeMille swing band show that takes place on one Sunday per month, it is a special, one-night only show that Rebekah herself is producing.

The songstress will be performing with her big band in a rare concert performance at the historic art deco Cicada Restaurant in downtown Los Angeles. In addition to being serenaded by Rebekah and her big band with some classic Latin, Jazz and pop tunes, we will be able to enjoy the Cicada's acclaimed cuisine and wonderful wine and cocktail selections. Cicada will also be offering a special $49 per person three course prix fixe dinner which is a bargain compared to their regular prices. Any wine by the bottle will also be discounted 20% for this evening.

There will be an $11 per person cover charge which goes to Rebekah--not the restaurant--and will go toward defraying her booking and band costs.

Those who wish to have dinner are going to gather at 6:30pm for our meal then stay and enjoy her show at 8pm.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GOING--EITHER FOR DINNER & SHOW OR ONLY THE SHOW, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT jon90027@pacbell.net so we can try to connect that evening. After dinner, perhaps others from our TCM group can pull up a chair and hang out with my table.

This Oviatt building--the home of the Cicada Restaurant--was constructed in 1928 as the headquarters of one of the most prestigious and expensive haberdasheries in Los Angeles -- Alexander & Oviatt. During the early phases of construction of the Italian Romanesque styled building, Oviatt attended the 1925 Paris Exposition and decided to decorate his building in the new style. When the building was completed, the sheltered lobby forecourt contained over 30 tons of etched crystal glass by designer Rene Lalique. Many original pieces remain in the panels at the top of the lobby columns. Lalique also designed the mallechort elevator doors, mailboxes, and directories. Cicada's interior retains the elegant art deco fixtures, stair rails, and molded plaster ceiling panels--though in recent years some of the original and very valuable, larger pieces such as Lalique tables, chandeliers, etc. have unfortunately seem to disappear when the property changed ownership. Rebekah cherishes historic architecture and that is why she chose this fabulous restaurant for her concert venue.

Several years ago I used to handle the Tower Theatre for location filming and that was the location used where the scene with Rebekah singing "Llorando" was filmed. That was my first introduction to her and I was blown away. Eventually we became and remain good friends, but I still find her voice spellbinding.

Below is info from a press release that I just wrote for this engagement that will give you more information about her.

Vocalist Rebekah Del Rio, who sang the showstopping song “Llorando” in the famed David Lynch movie “Mulholland Drive” will make a rare, one night only, concert appearance with her Latin big band on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at the art deco Cicada Restaurant at 617 S. Olive Street in downtown Los Angeles.

The evening will include guest singers Natasha Estrada (a.k.a. “La Cholita”), Lynn McLaughlin and other surprise guest performers. Del Rio’s young, very handsome, boyish-looking artist husband Eric Skotnes will showcase some of his latest art pieces at this show. Pin Up Girl Clothing will be providing the singer’s colorful wardrobe designed especially for this performance. Tickets are NOT available online and will only be available at the door, so patrons are advised to arrive early. The Cicada will be offering a special $59 three course dinner offering as well as selections from their regular menu, but dinner reservations are strongly encouraged for guaranteed seating. Other guests will be allowed in on a first come, first served basis.

Del Rio will be performing the Latin standards “Que Sera Sera,” “Sabor A Mi,” “ Besame Mucho,”“El Choclo” and others as well as many songs from her diverse jazz and pop repertoire featured in her recent recording “Love Hurts, Love Heals” and her first CD release “All My Life/Toda Mi Vida.”

The L.A. based singer is well known for her unique style which is perhaps best represented in her signature song, the wrenchingly beautiful ballad “Llorando”, a Spanish-language version of Roy Orbison’s “Crying,” On the strength of that one song, Del Rio moved to Nashville where she was signed to Irving Azoff’s label, Giant Records. She opened for Rod Stewart at the 25th Annual WEA convention, and recorded her first album, titled “Nobody’s Angel.”

View Rebekah's legendary video clip of her singing "Llorando" at:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Just before the songstress moved back to Los Angeles, Lynch cast her as herself in his nightmarish hymn to L.A., “Mulholland Drive”. Her noteworthy performance was universally praised as “uniquely twisted,” and “utterly enthralling,” by Gregory Weinkauf from the New York Times to “a dazzling star turn,” by John Powers in the L.A. Weekly. Del Rio also wrote a song with Lynch titled “No Stars” which is included in “Love Hurts, Love Heals.”

Del Rio received a standing ovation at Carnegie Hall in New York for the 12th Annual Rainforest Foundation Benefit Concert after singing “Llorando” a capella. She was joined on stage during the show by music legends Sting, Sir Elton John and James Taylor.

Her appearances have been seen award winning films such as, “Mulholland Drive,“ “Southland Tales”, “Sin City” and the TV shows, “Prison Break,” “King of the Hill” and “Young & The Restless.”

In late 2011, Del Rio recorded her signature song “Llorando” with the acclaimed male vocal group, Il Divo for their hit album “Wicked Game.”

For her latest musical release “Love Hurts, Love Heals,” she collaborated with Christina Aguilera’s award winning producer/songwriter, Heather Holley along with her New York based production team that included Dina Fanai and cellist Dave Eggar. “Love Hurts, Love Heals” is an 11 song album dedicated to Rebekah’s late son, Phillip Craig DeMars, who lost a 4 year battle with cancer in 2009. Del Rio describes the album’s cinematic-type recordings as being about the duality of love. “Each song from this album thrills you and pulls at your heart strings,” Del Rio said, “this is the ultimate movie soundtrack…the film? Life!” she explained.

The numbers “11:11” have a special meeting for the vocalist and prominently coincide with her career and personal life. “On March 7, 2004, my son’s 18th birthday, our 11:11 phenomena began,” said Del Rio, “he had not been diagnosed with cancer yet and his whole life was ahead of him.” He was graduating from Eagle Rock High then was planning to attend Le Cordon Bleu culinary school and eventually start his own restaurant. On this special day, he wanted to go for a

drive and see where it took them. “We were parked right in front of our home and when we got in the car Phil noticed the car’s clock displayed the time ‘11:11 a.m.’ and that began a magical journey,” Del Rio explained, “when we later returned and again saw ‘11:11 p.m.’ that same day, Philip and I decided that was our special number and whenever I see that number I'll know he's thinking of me and I'm on the right path.”

That is why the vocal artist specifically chose November 11 for her most recent album’s release date and the date of her upcoming Cicada Restaurant engagement. “Please celebrate the meaning of this date with me and come to the concert,” she exclaimed, “and you may find that 11:11 has a special meaning for you, too.”

PARKING: Valet is $7.00 or if you are patient, careful and lucky you should find some street metered parking, but carefully read ALL parking restriction signs so you do not get a ticket and do not leave any exposed items in your card--lock them in the trunk (even clothes items!)